gendna2

Confused about Marriage, K-1, K-3, and CR1

35 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

check PM: it takes almost 4weeks to get and when you get the certificate on hand, you will need to translate and certified seal at the department of just ( So Tu Phap) same place you get ur certificate. but the translate version will take up to 3weeks, in which your wife can overnight it over to later date if you dont have time to wait.

here is the Vietnamese Version

English version

Marriage : 07/22/2012

USCIS Process

09/16/2012: I-130 Sent

09/20/2012: I-130 NOA1 (Receipt txt)

09/24/2012: I-130 NOA1 (Hard copy)

09/25/2012: I-130 Case Transfer to (MSC)

11/08/2012: I-130 NOA2 in 44 days after NOA1

NVC:11/19/2012: I-130 @ NVC

12/05/2012: Case & IID asign

12/19/2012: AoS paid n send

12/20/2012: AoS received

02/18/2012: IV Paid

04/15/2013: IV send

04/16/2013: IV received

04/25/2013: NVC case complete

06/26/2013: NVC send email notification for interview

07/11/2013: Interview approved

09/06/2013: POE @ JFK

CRBA: 05/20/2013: Approved

6/8/2015 - Removal of conditions - sent off packet to VSC
6/9/20015 - I-751 received in VSC

6/12/2015 - NOA1

pe80i6s.png

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The mental health exam is also complete and good to go, apostilled, signed by the Lt. Governor.

The Vietnamese embassy in the USA will accept this for processing your marriage application packet. However the chances of it being accepted by the Justice Department in Vietnam are very slim.

You should realistically expect them to reject your marriage application in Vietnam until you and your fiancee get the mental health exam done in Vietnam at one of their approved hospitals.

You said you would do this by power of attorney, so you will probably find out when she submits the packet to the Justice Department whether they require a new mental health exam.

Question: Do English to Vietnamese translations require a certification? I can get one, but just asking, as far as the Vietnamese marriage and I-130 is concerned.

I read the I-130 guidelines and a certified translator must be used, but I have read various reports on what this certification looks like.

Confusedasheck - When I said authenticated, I meant 100% done with the relevant department of state, apostilled, and signed by the Lt. Governor himself.

The mental health exam is also complete and good to go, apostilled, signed by the Lt. Governor.

I am waiting on some Vietnamese translations of letters vouching for me from my employer; they should really give the case a boost and if not, I can always use them for the I-130 packet.

AnhDoiEm - I will pm you to ask how to give them some coffee money. My fiance is as green as I am. Sure we both know how the system works, but I don't want an embarrassing situation where I am accused of attempting to bribe a government official with money. Like I said, I'll pm you for some tips on this.

I don't know if anyone has answered your question about the difference between engagement and wedding in VN.

According to the tradition in VN

Basically "Dam hoi" or "engagement" starts out with your parents or an elder from your family go to the girl's house and asking her parents for the permission to marry the girl. If the girl's parents agree will set the date/time for "dam hoi" and they will also asks for 5, 7 or 9 symbolic gifts (sticky rice, "trau cau", con heo/ga, jewelry..etc..).

On that engagement ceremony date, you along with other guys (if 5 gifts then you + 4, if 7 gifts then you + 6) would bring those gifts over to the girl family. If you believe in superstitious/tradition then you only step foot inside the girl's house in the exact date/time as set by her parents.

The girl's side will have matching # of guys that come with you standing in front of her house waiting for you. Mean while your girl will be inside the room.

At that exact moment you and your guys will line up in from of the girls and give them the gift. An elder from the girl side will invite a representative from your side to go inside first. They will talk blah..blah..blah (basically to get the permission for you and everyone coming with you to enter the house)

Once inside, more introduction between 2 families and drink teas. After that the mom will go inside the room take her daughter out to meet your family.

The ceremony and pray to Buddha/God/Ancestor start from here.

After all the ceremony, everyone can go to the restaurant, friends if you guys invite any would go there also or you can do it later in the evening

From what I heard if you want to officially marry the girl in VN you would have to stay in VN at least 30-50 days. There are a lot of paper works, stops and processes involve to get the marriage certificate in VN. If you don't have that much time then do K-1 (Fiancee) Visa and I think K-1 Visa process is faster than Marriage.

If your girl live in HCM and need someone to do planning all the "dam hoi" process or party planner then text me. My friend in VN will take care of everything: clothes, decoration of the house, video recording, photographs, cars, he also provides guys to help you carry the gifts and girls to receive the gifts...etc.. basically from A-Z. I used his service when I did the my engagement.

Best of luck to you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

AnhDoiEm - I will pm you to ask how to give them some coffee money. My fiance is as green as I am. Sure we both know how the system works, but I don't want an embarrassing situation where I am accused of attempting to bribe a government official with money. Like I said, I'll pm you for some tips on this.

my opinion is you still need an agency to do this petition for you, but i can answer this question. usually they'll say "this takes 3 weeks to get processed, but if you want to expedited for next week it'll cost 500k extra" or something along those line. if you only hear the first part, then ask them you need this urgently and is there a faster process...you're willing to pay for it. that should get the greasing going. but it's vietnam and they love taking money from clueless foreigners (anyone who stepped off tan son nhat) so they'll make it clear they want money for service provided.

Edited by quann

K-1, CRBA, AOS, GC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

expedited

In fact I know a guy come to the agent office same day with us, and he only have 3weeks over there and he want it fast, the agent said if you want the paper will cost you $150/day. Me and my wife ouch what a rip off, but the same agent help us through process only cost me $250 + $50 for single aff. from US consulate. But take us 4 weeks to completed.

BTW: gendna2 how did your paper work went?

Edited by AnhDoiEm

Marriage : 07/22/2012

USCIS Process

09/16/2012: I-130 Sent

09/20/2012: I-130 NOA1 (Receipt txt)

09/24/2012: I-130 NOA1 (Hard copy)

09/25/2012: I-130 Case Transfer to (MSC)

11/08/2012: I-130 NOA2 in 44 days after NOA1

NVC:11/19/2012: I-130 @ NVC

12/05/2012: Case & IID asign

12/19/2012: AoS paid n send

12/20/2012: AoS received

02/18/2012: IV Paid

04/15/2013: IV send

04/16/2013: IV received

04/25/2013: NVC case complete

06/26/2013: NVC send email notification for interview

07/11/2013: Interview approved

09/06/2013: POE @ JFK

CRBA: 05/20/2013: Approved

6/8/2015 - Removal of conditions - sent off packet to VSC
6/9/20015 - I-751 received in VSC

6/12/2015 - NOA1

pe80i6s.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.