gendna2

Confused about Marriage, K-1, K-3, and CR1

35 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Everyone has made it seem like getting married in Vietnam is really difficult. However, just going by the face value of the documents I need to provide, including a power of attorney for my fiance to turn it all in, it does not seem so bad.

I am getting all the documents for Vietnam and I figure in 5 months they will get processed.

I am also very interested in hiring a law firm. This visa thing is too important to just go by myself. If you know any good ones in HCMC, please send me a pm.

Thank you for the forum link, that helps a lot.

Many here have used Marc Ellis as he is experienced with the HCMC consulate

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Everyone has made it seem like getting married in Vietnam is really difficult. However, just going by the face value of the documents I need to provide, including a power of attorney for my fiance to turn it all in, it does not seem so bad.

:blink:

Ummm.... I got married this year in Vietnam. It is doable if you are prepared and have plenty of aspirin, but it is more difficult than you think.

Let me ask you this question since you plan to submit your application by power of attorney. What is your plan when the mental health exam that you get in the USA and submit with your package to the Justice department is rejected?

Filed: Timeline

Can anybody else here vouch for Marc Ellis?

I read some of his articles and I want to get in touch with his law firm. However, I would like to see if there any more testimonials to him. You can pm me if there is some issue with not posting commercials on the forum.

Do any of you recommend a Vietnamese company to expedite the Vietnamese marriage process. I am not from the US so I have an idea of how the "game" works in places like Vietnam. Again, please pm me if you know some companies that "expedite" the process.

Thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Marc has an account on VJ. Ellis-Island do a search above right for marc ellis and you will get many results on previous discussions about him... he has an office in the states as well as HCMC and Mr Nam helps him with the VN stuff. you can PM him through his VJ account... Mr Nam can help with the wedding paperwork IMO. I am sure there are others as well...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

Can anybody else here vouch for Marc Ellis?

I read some of his articles and I want to get in touch with his law firm. However, I would like to see if there any more testimonials to him. You can pm me if there is some issue with not posting commercials on the forum.

Do any of you recommend a Vietnamese company to expedite the Vietnamese marriage process. I am not from the US so I have an idea of how the "game" works in places like Vietnam. Again, please pm me if you know some companies that "expedite" the process.

Thanks

I wouldn't try to "expedite" the process. The COs know how long it takes to get a marriage license in Vietnam. "Expedition" is likely to raise eyebrows at the consulate. I suggest you do it the legit way (as much as you can in VN).

Some of the more experienced posters recommend his associate Mr. Nam in VN. You should be prepared to spend 4-6 weeks in VN to get the license regardless of any method that you choose.

I have all the papers I need from the US to get married in Vietnam except for one; the Certificate of Non-Marriage.

No such certificate exists in the USA because of our federal system of government. I did a forum search on this and different Americans, in different countries, "cooked up" this certificate in different ways.

How do US Citizens getting married in Vietnam generate this "Certificate of Non-Marriage"? I am hoping someone has done it before and knows a way which the Vietnamese government accepts.

That we cannot generate such a certificate is an issue and an anachronism, but unfortunately, that does not solve my immediate problem.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Go to your county's Office of Vital Records (VR) and ask for that certificate. Some counties call it a "Letter of No Marriage." The VR Office will perform a search on marriage certificates issued within a specific period in that county, and in that state. If they don't find anything with your name on it, they will so state in a letter they will give you. And then you'll have to get the letter authenticated by the Secretary of State of your state. A royal pain in the behind... And get ready to fork out fees for everything.

I took care of all the forms that need to be authenticated and/or notarized. I even got a letter authenticated saying I was never married in my current state.

1. Do I need to translate all this stuff into Vietnamese? I already translated my personal history and will have letters from my current supervisor attesting to who I am and what I do; but what about the "no marriage" letter, birth certificate, supporting documents, etc...?

2. According to the Dept. of Justice in HCMC, you submit your packet and then 7 days later, you go for your interview. Have you guys done something similar? How is the interview like?

3. No kidding on this one, the advice from other Vietnamese people who have married a Vietnamese-American is that you need a lawyer or special company on your side, otherwise it takes much longer. This reminds me of the b.s. way of getting a visa on entry into Vietnam, sort of a "grease the wheels" of justice company. Has anyone heard of such companies?

Timeline

I took care of all the forms that need to be authenticated and/or notarized. I even got a letter authenticated saying I was never married in my current state.

If it's from an official government office in your state that handles marriage registrations (such as vital statistics), then that is fine.

The question is, did you get every document apostilled by the secretary of state for your state? That is the signature of every notarized document and government issued document verified to be genuine? The procedure may vary from state to state. You sound like you haven't done that.

After getting them apostilled, you need to mail all the documents to the Vietnamese Embassy in Washington DC to get them authenticated as one packet by the Vietnamese government. Make sure you have the mental exam in there or it may be rejected.

You sound like you are going to have a hard time when, in Vietnam, they reject your application for the mental health exam being invalid. You will need to get one done on the first day you get to Vietnam on one of their approved hospitals, then they will accept it.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
You sound like you are going to have a hard time when, in Vietnam, they reject your application for the mental health exam being invalid. You will need to get one done on the first day you get to Vietnam on one of their approved hospitals, then they will accept it.

Talk about a racket... The VN Embassy in Washington DC insists that we include a completed medical form in the package we send them for authentication. Yet 9 times out of 10, the authorities in VN will require that another medical exam be performed by a local doctor.

I have helped several friends through this process. It seems like one has an easier time in smaller cities, i.e., outside of Saigon: the authorities there are not as rapacious in their bribe-taking. YMMV...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

In fact I just married on July 22, 2012, Our ceremony in the morning, where both families gather together for our wedding in the morning, with small families parties. Then about 6pm both our families and friends are gather together in the First Place Hotel for big party, therefore we file CR1 instead, GL to you..

Marriage : 07/22/2012

USCIS Process

09/16/2012: I-130 Sent

09/20/2012: I-130 NOA1 (Receipt txt)

09/24/2012: I-130 NOA1 (Hard copy)

09/25/2012: I-130 Case Transfer to (MSC)

11/08/2012: I-130 NOA2 in 44 days after NOA1

NVC:11/19/2012: I-130 @ NVC

12/05/2012: Case & IID asign

12/19/2012: AoS paid n send

12/20/2012: AoS received

02/18/2012: IV Paid

04/15/2013: IV send

04/16/2013: IV received

04/25/2013: NVC case complete

06/26/2013: NVC send email notification for interview

07/11/2013: Interview approved

09/06/2013: POE @ JFK

CRBA: 05/20/2013: Approved

6/8/2015 - Removal of conditions - sent off packet to VSC
6/9/20015 - I-751 received in VSC

6/12/2015 - NOA1

pe80i6s.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

In fact I just married on July 22, 2012, Our ceremony in the morning, where both families gather together for our wedding in the morning, with small families parties. Then about 6pm both our families and friends are gather together in the First Place Hotel for big party, therefore we file CR1 instead, GL to you..

sp:::: if you hand in the envelop coffee money + your application mental health exam, only take 10minute for finish the piece paper.

Marriage : 07/22/2012

USCIS Process

09/16/2012: I-130 Sent

09/20/2012: I-130 NOA1 (Receipt txt)

09/24/2012: I-130 NOA1 (Hard copy)

09/25/2012: I-130 Case Transfer to (MSC)

11/08/2012: I-130 NOA2 in 44 days after NOA1

NVC:11/19/2012: I-130 @ NVC

12/05/2012: Case & IID asign

12/19/2012: AoS paid n send

12/20/2012: AoS received

02/18/2012: IV Paid

04/15/2013: IV send

04/16/2013: IV received

04/25/2013: NVC case complete

06/26/2013: NVC send email notification for interview

07/11/2013: Interview approved

09/06/2013: POE @ JFK

CRBA: 05/20/2013: Approved

6/8/2015 - Removal of conditions - sent off packet to VSC
6/9/20015 - I-751 received in VSC

6/12/2015 - NOA1

pe80i6s.png

Question: Do English to Vietnamese translations require a certification? I can get one, but just asking, as far as the Vietnamese marriage and I-130 is concerned.

I read the I-130 guidelines and a certified translator must be used, but I have read various reports on what this certification looks like.

Confusedasheck - When I said authenticated, I meant 100% done with the relevant department of state, apostilled, and signed by the Lt. Governor himself.

The mental health exam is also complete and good to go, apostilled, signed by the Lt. Governor.

I am waiting on some Vietnamese translations of letters vouching for me from my employer; they should really give the case a boost and if not, I can always use them for the I-130 packet.

AnhDoiEm - I will pm you to ask how to give them some coffee money. My fiance is as green as I am. Sure we both know how the system works, but I don't want an embarrassing situation where I am accused of attempting to bribe a government official with money. Like I said, I'll pm you for some tips on this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.