Joseg

I need Advice!!!

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I need some advice.

My fiancée just got her Birth Certificated translated and we realized that we misspelled her middle name in all the documents (129F Package).

We are getting ready to send package 3 to the embassy so an interwiew date can be given. The documents that we need to send are the "check list" and form "DS-230".

What should we do now? Should we try to correct all the documents or leave them as they are? Should we send form DS-230 corrected or with the name written as the other documents? If we send DS-230 corrected then what about the other documents? Any advice? Anyone with similar experience?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

I need some advice.

My fiancée just got her Birth Certificated translated and we realized that we misspelled her middle name in all the documents (129F Package).

We are getting ready to send package 3 to the embassy so an interwiew date can be given. The documents that we need to send are the "check list" and form "DS-230".

What should we do now? Should we try to correct all the documents or leave them as they are? Should we send form DS-230 corrected or with the name written as the other documents? If we send DS-230 corrected then what about the other documents? Any advice? Anyone with similar experience?

My non-professional advice is to stick to the spelling you've been using so far, and blame the different spelling on the Translator of the birth certificate.

Alternatively you could have it re-translated and spelled the way you've spelled it in your other documents.

The above 2 options, of course, assume that the translated birth certificate is the only place the difference occurs. If the difference also occurs in her Passport and other identification documents, then please disregard my response altogether as I have no idea how you should handle that situation.

Edited by Henry&Rebecca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

You need to find another fiance with the the correct spelling as you have submitted in the I-129 form. just kidding!

1. When did you discover the spelling was incorrect?

2. Did your fiance not check her name before sending the file?

3. Does your fiance spell her name different from her birth certificate? and is that what she has been using?

Can you tell us how differnt it is spelled?

example> Kristin vs Kristen ?

How does her name show on other forms of Identification with pictures? is it spelled incorrectly or differnt from those Identifications such as the passport and Picture ID. You may need to contact the embassy and see if they have a process to correct the error.

Timeline

Passport doesn't have the middle name, but the Police Certificate was translated the same way the Birth certificate.

If the 2 were translated by the same person then it's no surprise that it was translated the same way.

In either case, if it's not too much trouble to do it, I'd again recommend that you have em re-translated with the correct spelling.

If it is too much trouble to get it re-translated, then I'd just pretend I didn't notice it if I were you, and if the CO at the interview notices then just say the translator must have made an error when doing it.

(Once again: non-professional advice here :P )

Edited by Henry&Rebecca

Timeline

ok so there is a right way and a wrong way to fix this. The right way woudl be to send back the packet 3 which is suppose to be filled out by the beneficiary with correct spelling as it shows on all other legal forms of identification, which includes the birth certifiate. More then likely they will flag it for the error. when they ask you, as always tell the truth and admit that you miss spelled her name.

The initial filing of the I129 form and the prupose of it is to assess if you the USC is able to sponser another individual and that you meet the minimum requirments etc.

The packet Filed by the Beneficiary which is packet 3 to the embassy is the disclosure of the information from the beneficiaries part. Therefor it is used to run the back ground check and varifiy the beneficiaries information, thats why the police report is submitted.

My vote would go to correcting the spelling on packet 3 because if you cant spell your own name right on information you yourself are submitting. then there is a problem!

Filed: Timeline

You need to find another fiance with the the correct spelling as you have submitted in the I-129 form. just kidding!

1. When did you discover the spelling was incorrect?

2. Did your fiance not check her name before sending the file?

3. Does your fiance spell her name different from her birth certificate? and is that what she has been using?

Can you tell us how differnt it is spelled?

example> Kristin vs Kristen ?

How does her name show on other forms of Identification with pictures? is it spelled incorrectly or differnt from those Identifications such as the passport and Picture ID. You may need to contact the embassy and see if they have a process to correct the error.

None of her documents show the middle name exept for the birth certificate. her name is in cyrillic so she translated her name when we were completing all the documents. a good example for misspelling would be: Cyrillic and we wrote down Cyirillic. in our case we didn't include one letter

Edited by Joseg

Timeline

None of her documents show the middle name exept for the birth certificate. her name is in cyrillic so she translated her name when we were completing all the documents. a good example for misspelling would be: Cyrillic and we wrote down Cyirillic. we didn't include one letter

Follow the instructions on the above post. If asked by the inteviewer explain honestly what happend that you have never had to spell her name out in english alphabets and this is the way it was spelled by the translater. and you corrected the spelling on the packet 3 for submission. If it is one letter that is left out make sure when she is getting her VISA it is atleast spelled correctly on there compared to her birth certificate. that is the most important thing.

Timeline

In my opinion this will only be a problem if you make it into a problem. And well... My vote is to avoid problems when you can.

The way I see it, there is no such thing as a correct spelling of a name. ANY name is spelled correctly if the person whose name that is wishes to spell it as such. And this is ESPECIALLY so, when the name is a foreign one that is being translated into another language.

For example: I have seen my name spelled in 3 different ways in English. None of them are wrong. The way I spell it is the correct way for me, and the way others spell it is the correct one for them. I think the important piece of information here is that there are no official documents in English which spell her name a certain way. Your I-129F petition was the very first piece of English paperwork which spelled her name in English. This opens up the opportunity for you guys to decide which spelling to use for the rest of her life. Who cares what the translator chose to spell it as, it's not his/her name it's your fiancee's.

So my vote, again, is to have the documents translated once more to English with the "correct" spelling, and by "correct" spelling I mean the way your fiancee chooses to spell it, not the way some random translator chose to spell it.

Edited by Henry&Rebecca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.