eddie z

Certificate of Disposition Original or COPY?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Here is the situation. I was arrested for driving with expired license and was released after paying about $125 before the judge. When I go to get my certificate of disposition, it is FREE and they never charge me. I believe that it needs the original stamped and signed certificate to all applications, but the thing is that it is starting to not make sense. I had to go there and get a copy of it for every application; i130, adjustment of status, remote condition and not for n-400 and maybe later when I petition my parents. Does anyone know if a copy of this certificate will be enough?

I got a shoplifting charge and went to my local immigration law clinic, and they were very vocal that for the N400 packet, you only need a copy of the disposition (I went there twice to make sure, and they were very certain). And then bring the certified copy with you to the interview. This was a relief to me because I only had two copies of my disposition when I sent my N400 in (one for my records and one for USCIS) and I didn't want to give them my only other certified copy, and since the disposition was from a court across the country, it would've taken longer to get another certified copy (that said, most jurisdictions have systems set up to get these documents relatively smoothly with enough lead-time).

There were no hitches with my N400 and at the interview the IO asks "and in 2005 you were arrested for shoplifting?" "yes, it was the worst mistake I ever made." and then he moved on, didn't even ask for any original/certified copies. I don't even think he looked up at me as he asked the question, he just went on with the rest of the interview (that said, the charge was 7 years ago, if your arrest was within 5 years it's recommended you wait 5 years before you file your N400).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Here is the situation. I was arrested for driving with expired license and was released after paying about $125 before the judge. When I go to get my certificate of disposition, it is FREE and they never charge me. I believe that it needs the original stamped and signed certificate to all applications, but the thing is that it is starting to not make sense. I had to go there and get a copy of it for every application; i130, adjustment of status, remote condition and not for n-400 and maybe later when I petition my parents. Does anyone know if a copy of this certificate will be enough?

I do not think your case would be very bad. You could have forgotten or did not notice your license is expired. It is an innocent mistake and can happen to lot of people. If you were involved in accident or hurt some one while you are driving with out valid license can create more problems. I think you are ok. Make sure you have a court certified document and you should be ok.

So should i just make a copy of the disposition and send it with the package and bring the original to the interview? Or should I send the original instead?

No, send the copy. Keep the original to bring with you to the interview. If you send the original you will probably never see it again. I would also try to get ANOTHER certified copy to bring to the interview in case they want a certified copy to keep (again, you don't want to just give them the original, you might need that later).

Will they let me get several copies of it at once so I don't have to come back again and again?

That shouldn't be a problem, though that would be easier if you're able to go directly to the courthouse yourself to explain the situation. But you might have to go multiple times, and just pay whatever document fee each time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.