Kathryn41

Travel Card will Help at Border - American Ambassador-

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

TRAVEL CARD WILL HELP AT BORDER - AMERICAN AMBASSADOR

-CBC News Oct. 20, 2006

The U.S. ambassador to Canada promised a Toronto audience on Thursday that a proposed high-tech identification card for Americans would speed up cross-border travel.

David Wilkins also told the Toronto Board of Trade crowd that the U.S. government has listened to the concerns from politicians and business groups in both countries over the possible negative impact on tourism and commerce of new border requirements.

U.S. ambassador to Canada David Wilkins says a proposed passport card to be used by Americans will make cross-border travel more efficient.

(Canadian Press)

Washington's Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative would require all Canadians and Americans entering the U.S. by air, land and sea to carry a passport or other secure identification card by June 2009. The implementation was originally slated for the beginning of 2007 for air and sea travel, and 2008 for land crossings.

"I think it's important for Canada to understand that your concerns were heard loud and clear and, in my opinion, those concerns were honoured by the delay," Wilkins said.

Wilkins added that it was possible the plan could be rolled out ahead of schedule.

The U.S. State Department and Department of Homeland Security officially announced on Tuesday their plans for a wallet-sized passport card, good for 10 years.

Continue Article

The card will use radio frequency identification technology to link the card to a database containing biographical data and a photograph.

"By the time you pull up, they'll have checked you out," Wilkins said.

The system will be faster than using passports, since border guards won't have to flip through and stamp pages, he said, adding that frequent visitors and commercial trucks would have special lanes.

'By the time you pull up, they'll have checked you out.'-Ambassador David Wilkins

Wilkins said he is not putting any pressure on Ottawa to implement their own travel card.

"That obviously is a decision for Canada to make and Canada alone to make."

Passports, which are currently used by about 23 per cent of Americans, cost about $100 US.

The proposed wallet-sized card would cost $10 for children and $20 for adults, plus a $25 administrative fee.

In addition to Canada, the U.S. government will require the card for Americans travelling to Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Good information, Kathryn, but...I've also read that the new passport card is ONLY good for LAND and SEA crossings. So basically, it will be good for those Americans who can drive or take a cruise to their destination, but if they want (or need) to fly (like me, for instance), then it's rather useless.

I'm not saying the passport card is necessarily a bad idea (there are a lot of Americans who could probably make use of it), but it'd be nice if air travel was included in the mix. I just find it somewhat lacking since that piece of the pie was left out.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, you're right, the air transport passport requirement timeline is still in place for January, 2007. As you would require a passport if you were visiting any other country by air, and if you are involved in the visa process and require a passport anyway, it may not have as big an impact on members here, however, it is expected to have a big impact on the general population. The biggest concern so far is that there hasn't been any real, constructive thought put into creating the ID card yet - although they do have a price set for it already:-) - nor allowing for sufficient time to produce and distribute these cards. I just wish my passport wasn't expiring at the same time as the passport requirement is implemented for land crossings as its re-issue may get caught up in the general passport rush :wacko:

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.