Minu Luvs Pinu

Needing Some Advice!!

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello VJ-ers!!

I have a really important question to ask. Here's my situation.

I just received my EAD/AP ( :dance: Thank God!!), it's in great timing because I need to go back home to visit family for a very important event. I am planning to drive up but problem is that I have not imported my vehicle yet. I don't even plan to until I have a job, I barely use my car for anything but going to the grocery store. Will I have a problem at the border going into Canada and coming back into the US because of my vehicle?

I should also mention I've been living in the US for 6 and 1/2 months. I know I should have imported my car a long time ago but I don't think I even want to keep this car, it does not have miles on it, it has kilometers. I need figure out what I'm gonna do but not until I have a good job. ( I may not even need a car if I get a job in NYC).

I was thinking maybe I should just borrow my husbands car instead, he has NY license plates but we live in CT, although the car is registered at the family home. Is that gonna be an issue as well?

Whats the best option for me? I need to go back home next Thursday, I can't miss this special event. Please help me out.

P.S.

Both cars are insured. My car still has the canadian insurance, and his has american insurance.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Minu Luvs Pinu

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Can I ask what the reason is for not importing your car??? I know you said you weren't sure if you were going to keep it...are you going to see it back in Canada??

I'm not sure what issues you will have.... or not have.... at the border.... but I think you only have one year from time of entry to import your vehicle DUTY FREE....it doesn't cost anything to do this.. just paperwork to fill out.... do you have a border crossing close to you that you can get to before your trip???

I'd get it imported just to avoid any possible hassle, if it were me....

Edited by S and P

Like S and P said, just import your car. Did you get the papers for it when you POE'd? If you didn't you're going to need to get a compliance letter from your car company and visit the closest border crossing to you to get the proper papers (probably an airport).

It doesn't matter that your car's in KMs, doesn't it have a little dial that says miles? My car's in KMs and I drive it 150kms/day and have never been asked about it. Sometimes the garage messes up and puts the wrong mileage on my oil change update sticker, but I just keep track of that on my own.]

Your insurance company might have a problem with you being in the States so long with Canadian insurance. Read the fine print of your policy. My Canadian insurance said that I couldn't be out of the province for more than 30 days...

Edited by Peachey

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

A few things to keep in mind:

1) Insurance - Canadian insurers only give you about 3 months to change your insurance over to a new territory's insurer (US insurer of some kind). If you have US insurance, then you'll probably be okay. If you've been gone for longer than 3 months, then chances are (unless you get special permission from your insurer) your insurance is now invalid and you are driving without insurance. That means if you were in an accident, they would not pay to defend you in a lawsuit nor will they replace or repair your car. This is the case no matter what your pink cards say about the valiity of your insurance. It's called a material change in risk and it changes your policy automatically. (Source: Insurance broker for 5 years)

2) Liens - If there are liens on the vehicle, they must be paid off before importing the vehicle.

3) US Safety & Emissions Standards - You'll either need to get the vehicle inspected or else get a letter from the manufacturer stating that the vehicle meets these standards and that no recalls are outstanding.

If these are all taken care of you might be able to import your vehicle. Keep in mind that importing your vehicle may be seen as intent to immigrate. If you're going through the immigration process, you might want to wait until you actually immigrate legally to import the vehicle.

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Timeline

I have immigrated I just got my EAD/AP (Employment Auth. Doc/ Advance Parole). Well I think I'm going to have to take my husbands car and should I ask them (Border Patrol) if I could get the proper documents from them to import my vehicle ?

I don't have time to do all this before I have to leave. Is taking my husbands car fine?

Edited by Minu Luvs Pinu

Timeline

I have immigrated I just got my EAD/AP (Employment Auth. Doc/ Advance Parole). Well I think I'm going to have to take my husbands car and should I ask them (Border Patrol) if I could get the proper documents from them to import my vehicle ?

I don't have time to do all this before I have to leave. Is taking my husbands car fine?

I would think so. As long as you have permission to use his vehicle, his insurance should cover him in Canada. If you've immigrated then I don't see why CBP would have a problem with you using your hubby's vehicle. Just make sure to have your license, registration, and proof of insurance.

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

Timeline

All you do is drive your Canadian car to the border where you are crossing and tell the US agents you are importing your car, you hand them your compliance letter and they do all the forms for you. You don't do anything but sign the papers when they finish.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

How do I obtain this compliance letter?

Have to contact the manufacturer of the car.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Timeline

Don't drive your vehicle until you make sure you're insured.

If you are insured, I'd call the Canadian border and see if there's a problem bringing your Canadian vehicle back to Canada. If you aren't importing it, you'd have to either destroy it, or arrange to have it sent back to Canada anyway, as you can't legally sell it here without importing it first. Then, when you're driving it back to the US, import it then! You may even be able to stop at a dealer in Canada to ask them for a compliance letter.

I still haven't imported my motorcycle, (was hoping to do it when I got my tax return... :/) but it does cost money to import it. I was told that a percentage of its blue book value needs to be paid.

here's a couple of useful links! CBP link

bordercenter link

If you plan to keep the car in the US, then you will need to contact your nearest POE and see if they will handle it for you.

This link will help you find one near you: find a POE

Jan 21 2011 sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox - they lost it
Mar 22 2011 - Sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox second time
May 2 2011 - NOA1 at CSC
July 15 2011 - NOA2!!!
July 21 2011 - Hardcopy of NOA2 received in mail
Aug 9 2011 - Case forwarded to Montreal
Sep 7 2011 - Packet 4 sent from embassy
Oct 27 2011 - Interview
Nov 12 2011 - Intended POE VISA delayed due to typo on son's name at the consulate
Nov 22 2011 - Picked up Visa
Nov 26 2011 - New intended POE date
Dec 10 2011 - Wedding

Jan 12 2012 - Sent AOS package
Feb 1 2012 - They send rejection notice, they lost a signature page
Feb 4 2012 - Resent package
Feb 14 2012 - NOA2
Feb 22 2012 - NOA3
March 21 2012 - Biometrics
March 30 2012 - NOA4
May 16 2012 - Interview date

April 2014 - application for I751 Removal of Conditions
May 7 2014 - NOA for notice of receipt and extension letter received
May 8 2014- Verification of inclusion of a dependent letter received
Not dated but in May - letter requesting interview received
July 10 2014 - ASC appointment notice for biometrics received

July 24 2014 Biometrics appointment

Jan 22 2015 - USCIS call

March 18 2015 - USCIS call

April 2 2015 - USCIS call

May 14 2015 - Infopass appt

July 21 2015 - infopass appt

Sept 18 2015 - infopass appt
Feb 25 2016 - USCIS call
Feb 25 2016 - Ombudsman request form sent

Timeline

If you are insured, I'd call the Canadian border and see if there's a problem bringing your Canadian vehicle back to Canada. If you aren't importing it, you'd have to either destroy it, or arrange to have it sent back to Canada anyway, as you can't legally sell it here without importing it first. Then, when you're driving it back to the US, import it then! You may even be able to stop at a dealer in Canada to ask them for a compliance letter.

I still haven't imported my motorcycle, (was hoping to do it when I got my tax return... :/) but it does cost money to import it. I was told that a percentage of its blue book value needs to be paid.

here's a couple of useful links! CBP link

bordercenter link

If you plan to keep the car in the US, then you will need to contact your nearest POE and see if they will handle it for you.

This link will help you find one near you: find a POE

Didn't pay a single cent to import my car. I was told by CBP that 1st car is not charged any car after is charged.

Timeline

Do you have to have the vehicle at the border to import it? I was thinking maybe I should drive up to Canada with my husbands car and pick up a compliance letter for my car and at the border import my car. But do I need to have my car with me? Excuse my french, but This is such a pain in the A$$.

Timeline

Do you have to have the vehicle at the border to import it? I was thinking maybe I should drive up to Canada with my husbands car and pick up a compliance letter for my car and at the border import my car. But do I need to have my car with me? Excuse my french, but This is such a pain in the A$.

as far as i understand yes you have to have the car with you as they check the cars VIN number to make sure it matches your paperwork.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.