9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I have a question regarding my passport. It expires 9/2013 I want to get a 2 year China Visa for travel in December. Since my passport will expire in 10-11 months. What will happen to the 2 year China Visa? Should I just get a 1 year Visa? Will the Visa be taken from the old and put into the new passport? TIA!

Edited by Shenzhen

Timeline

Just my opinion...but why not just renew your passport now? Then you don't have to worry about the visa.

If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.

Doesn't say you cant renew earlier I just thought a year early would be too soon. Don't know but I will check it out.

Edited by Shenzhen

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.

Doesn't say you cant renew earlier I just thought a year early would be too soon. Don't know but I will check it out.

The state dept. doesn't have a requirement about renewing your passport too early.

I think that unexpired visas can be used in addition with/to a new passport.

You can secure the 2 year visa,when your passport expires,get a new passport and whenever you travel to China ,have both passsports to present to immigration.

The biographic info confirms that the visa and passport are for the same person.

AOS

04/27/12 Got Married...Yippeeeeeeee

05/17/12 Day 1..AOS sent

05/19/12.Day 3.AOS packet delivered

05/24/12.Day 8. E-mail notifications received

05/25/12.Day 9. Checks cashed

06/01/12.Day 16.NOA1 Hardcopy received for i-130,EAD &AP

06/05/12.Day 20. Got hardcopy Biometrics appointment letter

06/19/12.Day 34.Biometrics done Phoenix ASC

06/21/12.Day 36. RFE I-485

06/22/12.Day 37. RFE replied.tax transcripts

06/27/12.Day 42.RFE evidence review email from USCIS

07/05/12.Day 50. 2nd RFE

07/31/12.Day 75.Got EAD/AP approval email...

08/06/12.Day 81. Received email Interview appointment for September

08/07/12.Day 82. Receive paper AP

08/08/12.Day 83. Received EAD card

09/05/12.Day 110.Interview.Under review

09/24/12.Day 129. GC approved

09/29/12. Day 134. GC in hand

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

I think that unexpired visas can be used in addition with/to a new passport.

You can secure the 2 year visa,when your passport expires,get a new passport and whenever you travel to China ,have both passsports to present to immigration.

The biographic info confirms that the visa and passport are for the same person.

I'm not sure but aren't you required to surrender your old passport when acquiring a new one? I'm not so sure I'd want to be using two passports at the same time as it would draw closer scrutiny and seems questionable.

K-1

04/06/2012: NOA 1
08/13/2012: RFE Notice
09/21/2012: RFE Response Receipt
09/27/2012: NOA 2
10/17/2012: Embassy Received
12/31/2012: Packet 3 Returned
01/31/2013: Interview - Approved
02/07/2013: Visa Received
03/07/2013: POE - LAX

05/03/2013: Married

AOS; EAD; AP

06/03/2013: AOS - NOA 1

06/05/2013: EAD - NOA 1

06/05/2013: AP - NOA 1

06/27/2013: Biometrics

08/03/2013: EAD & AP Approved (Card received 18/12/2013)

08/21/2013: AOS Interview / I-485 Held for Further Review

08/27/2013: AOS Approval Notice

09/06/2013: Green Card Arrival

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I would request our old passport back due to immigration purposes and show them your filings so your evidence in the passport stays in tact, I have not tired this myself. Only your new passport will be valid.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

I would request our old passport back due to immigration purposes and show them your filings so your evidence in the passport stays in tact, I have not tired this myself. Only your new passport will be valid.

They automatically send the old passport back according to the website. I am just going to renew it now. Takes 6 weeks then send it in for the 2 year China visa. I lose about 10 months not a big deal.

Edited by Shenzhen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.