soon2batexan

CDN Passport application - okay to send certified copy of Marriage Cert?

7 posts in this topic

I'm in the process of applying for my Canadian passport in my married name. I let my previous passport expire because a) I didn't want to have to send it to Canada with the Visa, etc. inside while undergoing AOS, and it was expiring last year anyway, and b) I wanted to apply for the new one in my married name.

I've got everything I need for the application - documentation, photos and guarantor are all set to go! - but I'm wondering if it's okay to send a certified copy of our Texas Marriage Certificate vs. mailing the original. I don't necessarily like the idea of sending original documents, and while I know I'll have to send my original birth cert., I'll be sending copies of the other documents needed to support my identity.

Can I have my guarantor sign both sides of the certified copy of our marriage license? Also, does the guarantor have to date both sides of each of the copies?

Thanks all! Really appreciate everyone's help :).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have requested for your post to be moved to the Canadian regional forum, this is not an AOS matter. You will have more replies there.

A simple search in Google provided me with the following information.

From Passport Canada's website:

You may submit original documents. They will be returned to you. If you submit photocopies (both sides), your guarantor must sign and date the photocopies to indicate the originals have been seen. If you are submitting photocopies (both sides) but are using form PPTC 132, "Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor" (available from any Passport Canada office or by telephone), the official who signs the "Declaration" must also sign and date the photocopies of your identification to indicate the originals have been seen.

More information here: http://passportcanada.gc.ca/cdn/section5.aspx?lang=eng&region=USA

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Oops - sorry to post in the wrong spot. Thanks for moving!

Yes, I read it to say that I can send a copy as well (obviously my guarantor has seen the originals), and since my other evidence is DL and Green Card, there are two other gov't-issued documents with my signature on them anyway, so hopefully that'll be fine with them.

Much appreciated!

Timeline

I did renew my passport by mail 4 months ago, but I used the simplified renewal form. I had no problem getting my old passport and documentation back with my new passport.

One tip for you, if you take your pictures in the U.S., make sure you bring the guidelines with you. They are much more strict than the U.S. ones and very few know about them. Good luck!

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Timeline

Moved to the Canada Forum since this is not an AOS question.

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Yes, sorry, still getting familiar with where to post things :).

That said, I thought I'd share with y'all what I was told when I called Passport Canada. I phoned and actually got through to a person, and she was very friendly and helpful!

She told me that, since I am including copies of my DL and Green card (both of which have my married surname and signature), I don't need to include the original marriage certificate since the other two documents are sufficient proof of identity; but, she did say that it would be wise to include a photocopy of the document and have my guarantor sign it and date it just the same as the other documents.

Mystery solved!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, sorry, still getting familiar with where to post things :).

That said, I thought I'd share with y'all what I was told when I called Passport Canada. I phoned and actually got through to a person, and she was very friendly and helpful!

She told me that, since I am including copies of my DL and Green card (both of which have my married surname and signature), I don't need to include the original marriage certificate since the other two documents are sufficient proof of identity; but, she did say that it would be wise to include a photocopy of the document and have my guarantor sign it and date it just the same as the other documents.

Mystery solved!

That's exactly what I did and didn't have any issues.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.