lierre

I-130 petition: Do we need NSO marriage certificate?

34 posts in this topic

We are getting married in Manila soon. And, we hope to file for the petition as soon as possible.

Annoyingly, NSO takes months to process marriage certificates. Can we send a local civil registrar-certified marriage certificate with the petition?

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

We are getting married in Manila soon. And, we hope to file for the petition as soon as possible.

Annoyingly, NSO takes months to process marriage certificates. Can we send a local civil registrar-certified marriage certificate with the petition?

You really need the marriage certificate from NSO because the embassy and immigration will be needing the one with the Barcode. You can request from you local civil registry to help you and expedite you marriage certificate copy fom NSO.

You really need the marriage certificate from NSO because the embassy and immigration will be needing the one with the Barcode. You can request from you local civil registry to help you and expedite you marriage certificate copy fom NSO.

Oh gee. NSO seems to take eons to make the electronic scans of new registrations :unsure:

Sigh. I am planning to expedite our copy. I hope it will really be done in 1-2 months. I don't want to be separated from him again for such a long time.

Thanks for answering, kennypal!

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.

Audre Lorde

Oh gee. NSO seems to take eons to make the electronic scans of new registrations :unsure:

Sigh. I am planning to expedite our copy. I hope it will really be done in 1-2 months. I don't want to be separated from him again for such a long time.

Thanks for answering, kennypal!

My wife got her Marriage certificate NSO copy after 3weeks. She expidite all our papers and you have to change all you IDs right after you get married. That's very important so that you wouldn't uave any problem in time of you visa process.

My wife got her Marriage certificate NSO copy after 3weeks. She expidite all our papers and you have to change all you IDs right after you get married. That's very important so that you wouldn't uave any problem in time of you visa process.

Did she also renew her passport right away?

Audre Lorde

Did she also renew her passport right away?

She just renew her passport last june 11,2012. I advice you to get a agency for faster transaction. It will only take you 10-15working days to get you new passport. And less hassle! She's now starting to fix her NBI and she's done. :) good luck on you journey!

She just renew her passport last june 11,2012. I advice you to get a agency for faster transaction. It will only take you 10-15working days to get you new passport. And less hassle! She's now starting to fix her NBI and she's done. :) good luck on you journey!

Can you advise the name of the agency? Is she based in Manila?

Audre Lorde

Can you advise the name of the agency? Is she based in Manila?

Yup,it's based in Manila. Its Juliatos travel and tours located in ortigas. But waht my wife did is email all tmhe requirements and pay thru their bank account and she met up with them at DFA on the day of her apperance. She told me that it's hassle free. She only took 30 minutes inside DFA.

In our case, we were given an "endorsement letter" by the local registrar to expedite our Marriage Certificate. We received our NSO copy a week later.

Edited by ~happyndinlove~

Immigration Timeline Summary

10.21.2008 – CR-1 Visa Application Filed (By Hubby's Sec)
09.04.2009 – Visa Interview | Passed
09.10.2009 – Visa Packet Received
09.17.2009 – US Entry | Home
07.05.2011 – ROC Petition Filed
05.01.2012 – ROC Approved (No Interview)
05.18.2012 – 10-year GC Received
06.19.2012 – Eligible to apply for Naturalization
(procrastinated)
06.24.2013 – N-400 Application Filed
09.30.2013 – Civics Test / Interview | Passed
10.03.2013 – Oath Taking Ceremony | Became a USCitizen!
04.14.2014 – Applied for "Expedite Service" Passport (as PI travel date was fast approaching)
04.16.2014 – Passport Issued & Shipped
04.17.2014 – US Passport Received

Our timeline vanished into thin air.

I've contacted the admin several times but I got zero response.

https://meiscookery.wordpress.com

In our case, we were given an "endorsement letter" by the local registrar to expedite our Marriage Certificate. We received our NSO copy a week later.

Yes,that's what we did about our marriage certificate NSO copy! :)

as per advisory: TRAVEL agencies are assailing the Department of Foreign Affairs’ (DFA) directive informing them that they can no longer handle the processing of passports by the end of June 2012. meaning you need to go to DFA regional office to process your passport, they will capture your picture right from there (no need of passport size picture)and signature as well.

and if you want to expedite your MC NSO authenticated, all you need to ask a little help from the secretary or official where you

request your Marriage License, ask on how to expedite your MC to have an NSO copy and tell the reason that your going to use it for travel purpose asap. just don't get fooled by some other officials cuz they might rob you off..and when at NSO already all you need to do is submit request of endorsement at NSO customer care and they will process.

Edited by VirtualLee

Our Time Line
---------------------------
CR-1/CR-2

USCIS Stage: (13 DAYS)
Apr 15, 2012 - Filed I-130 ($420 x2)
Apr 19, 2012 - NOA-1
May 2, 2012 - NOA-2

NVC STAGE: (56 DAYS)
05/21/12 - Case finally entered into NVC system
05/25/12 - Received case #, IIN, and BIN, gave e-mail addresses, sent optin e-mail
05/25/12 - Received info package and AOS bill e-mails from NVC
05/25/12 - AOS bill invoiced & paid ($88)
05/29/12 - AOS bill appears as PAID
06/01/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & PAID ($230 x2)
06/04/12 - IV Bill Shows PAID
06/15/12 - AOS & IV Packages sent
07/02/12 - RFE email received
07/06/12 - Sent NSO copy of MC and BC
07/16/12 - Case Complete (2nd Wedding Anniversary)
08/01/12 - Interview Date Assigned -->>>>(Sept.5, 2012@ 6:15am)

Medical/CFO / Consulate / POE:
08/29/2012-------- Medical Exam: PASSED
08/30/2012 ---------Advance CFO @SMEF-COW
09/05/2012-------- Interview: VISA APPROVED!!!!

09/11/2012 ------- VISA RECEIVED!
10/02/2012 -------- POE = Honolulu, Hawaii
Welcome to Hawaii

10/18/2012 - received 10yr. GC & SSN#

Getting back to the orignal question. You can send in the local registrar-certified certficite. Send it in as a photo copy. This way you can start the I-130 right away. We did that. We also asked to have things expidited as others suggest. You will to do that to ensure that you have the NSO version for the USEM Intervew.

good luck

Love forever,

Dale & Trisha

Married: 9/29/2008

K3 Visa

POE-MSP: 3/13/2009

AOS/EAD

Greencard received: 08/29/2009

Removal of Conditions:

Approved: 10/20/2011

Citizenship

9/19/2012

Here is the complete advisory from DFA:

Reconsideration sought on new DFA passport processing policy

By Grace Melanie I. Lacamiento/FPL (The Freeman) Updated June 06, 2012 12:00 AM

CEBU, Philippines - Different travel and tour agencies are asking the Department of Foreign Affairs to reconsider its directive disallowing them to process passport applications effective next month.

Travel and tour operators said that there are about 68 accredited liaison officers who stand to lose their jobs because of the directive. The directive would allegedly result in the eventual downfall of the travel industry.

The DFA however dismissed it saying that the fear of the operators will not happen because they can just reassign the affected liaison officers to other works considering that the industry has a lot to offer.

Travel agencies received on May 7 a directive from DFA Regional Consular Office in Cebu giving them until June 30, 2012 to file the passport applications of their clients because they are making the process exclusively for the department after the said date.

Cecile Sa-a, president of Cebu Association of Tour Operators, said that aside from revenue losses, agencies are more concerned of the employment status of their liaison officers and the families they support.

She added that there has been no consultation done among the affected parties upon the issuance of the memorandum.

She further said that they already sought help from Philippine Travel Agencies Association to communicate and meet up with the officials from the national office of DFA to reconsider the decision but have not received any feedback until now.

Sa-a admitted that the travel industry is not doing well as a whole and once the directive will be implemented, it will create a huge impact among the agencies.

The travel agencies operate in two kinds – the inbound travel which focuses on bringing in tourists to visit the country and the outbound which handles concerns on traveling outside the country, including the passport applications.

With the competition evident in the industry, she said that there is also a possibility that those agencies which are dependent on outbound travel will close their businesses.

What was even frustrating, Sa-a noted, is that they cannot ask for help from DFA Cebu officer-in-charge Elias Balawag.

Balawag, on the other hand, said that they are just following directions given by the national office and that there are even some “negligent” liaison officers who cannot submit the complete requirements for their clients.

He added that the department’s decision was based on the concerns from public perception that it is giving priority to travel agency-assisted applicants over walk-in applicants and the additional service fee amounting to P500 that they have to pay to the officer aside from the P950 regular payment for 25 day-process or the P1,200 overtime payment for 15 days.

He cited that such extra payment is against the Republic Act 9485 or the Anti Red Tape Act of 2007.

Balawag said that travel agencies need not worry of the directive because they can just reassign their liaison officers to other departments responsible for ticketing, bookings and accommodations.

Balawag confirmed that there are currently 68 agencies in the region accredited by them, 66 of which are from Cebu and 2 from Dumaguete. — (FREEMAN)

Our Time Line
CR-1/CR-2

Apr 19, 2012 - NOA-1
May 2, 2012 - NOA-2

05/25/12 - Received case #, IIN, and BIN, gave e-mail addresses, sent optin e-mail

Welcome to Hawaii

Getting back to the orignal question. You can send in the local registrar-certified certficite. Send it in as a photo copy. This way you can start the I-130 right away. We did that. We also asked to have things expidited as others suggest. You will to do that to ensure that you have the NSO version for the USEM Intervew.

good luck

As what my husband is doing when it comes to documents from the Philippines, just go to Philippine Embassy (wherever you are)

and have it notarize and sealed with red ribbon. then you can start your thing.

Our Time Line
CR-1/CR-2

Apr 19, 2012 - NOA-1
May 2, 2012 - NOA-2

Welcome to Hawaii

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.