Dana and Divine

Nigerian CO's Racists?

9 posts in this topic

It seems the more friends I make on VJ the more I seem to find and hear about Nigeria turning down Mixed Race Marriages during the first interview. If you are in a mixed race relationship and have been denied during interview or the race of your husband or wife has come up in interview, how did you handle it? How long have you been fighting to have your husband with you?

One of my new friends has been waiting 3 years for her husband to join her. Another is close to the same time frame and one other couple has been waiting, fighting, praying, writting letters, etc. for six years!

If this is indeed happening, how can we head this issue off BEFORE it reaches the inview stage? My entire family is of a mixed race. Will additional affidavits from family and friends help to show my husband is very welcome and we ALL cannot wait to have him in our lives?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It seems the CO's are racial purist on the order of Nazi's. They want to keep a pure race. However many of the Nigerians I know brag about how light/white their other half is. My husband even told me two of his sisters are "white" ( I think he missed genetics in school ) The CO in our case had the nerve to ask if his father died because he was marrying a white woman. I guess the face to the US in other countries doesn't give a damn about racial equality.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It seems the more friends I make on VJ the more I seem to find and hear about Nigeria turning down Mixed Race Marriages during the first interview. If you are in a mixed race relationship and have been denied during interview or the race of your husband or wife has come up in interview, how did you handle it? How long have you been fighting to have your husband with you?

One of my new friends has been waiting 3 years for her husband to join her. Another is close to the same time frame and one other couple has been waiting, fighting, praying, writting letters, etc. for six years!

If this is indeed happening, how can we head this issue off BEFORE it reaches the inview stage? My entire family is of a mixed race. Will additional affidavits from family and friends help to show my husband is very welcome and we ALL cannot wait to have him in our lives?

Ladybug, I have to say this... Most folks (regardless of race) who get turned down have a story.... their own story. It could range from anything such as lack of proof, pictures, story didn't sound real, the interviewer is ignorant. Your story is your own. I see plenty of mixed race couples here who get approved.. IE Jill and Ben he's now home and they are crazy happy. Make this interview your own. Prep him the best you can and don't stop praying or give up. Remember this is your time and your lives. Don't let the stories of others dictated your ending... because yours is a happy one :")

The World is Yours to Experience....Venture out into it and find Love!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Im not sure about race difference but sounds like if your friends have been fighting for that long there is more to the story than just race.....

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

It seems the CO's are racial purist on the order of Nazi's. They want to keep a pure race. However many of the Nigerians I know brag about how light/white their other half is. My husband even told me two of his sisters are "white" ( I think he missed genetics in school ) The CO in our case had the nerve to ask if his father died because he was marrying a white woman. I guess the face to the US in other countries doesn't give a damn about racial equality.

Wow...what a horrific thing to say to your husband! Did they deny his visa or was the CO just being an #### and trying to degrade him or make a scene? I'm sincerely sorry you both had to go thru this. My entire family is mixed up! I'm seriously considering sending a photo of the family waiting on my husband here along with a letter addressing "our interracial marriage"...and our bi-racial children. I don't want to "stir the pot" so to speak. I really want to head off any embarassment for my husband when being interviewed.

Ladybug, I have to say this... Most folks (regardless of race) who get turned down have a story.... their own story. It could range from anything such as lack of proof, pictures, story didn't sound real, the interviewer is ignorant. Your story is your own. I see plenty of mixed race couples here who get approved.. IE Jill and Ben he's now home and they are crazy happy. Make this interview your own. Prep him the best you can and don't stop praying or give up. Remember this is your time and your lives. Don't let the stories of others dictated your ending... because yours is a happy one :")

Amen to that! I'm all for the happy ending!

Im not sure about race difference but sounds like if your friends have been fighting for that long there is more to the story than just race.....

I pray you are correct and there is not some Alabama Redneck working at the consulate! And yep, I can say that cause I'm from Alabama and I've experience a lifetime of them! I think I'm still going to follow my first mind and write a short brief along with a photo of our family and maybe even incorporate a letter (or affidavit) from my mother and father. Thanks for the reply!

Ben and Jill are Kenya... but I understand what you are saying. Praying all goes smoothly and this process moves along quickly. I beleive I'm starting to think to hard for my own good!

Filed: Timeline

Wow. Are there any other flags apart from the race issue?

Just out of curiosity, have they done the Senator thingie?

Wow. Are there any other flags apart from the race issue?

Just out of curiosity, have they done the Senator thingie?

Gowon...according to two friends in particular (the three year and six year waits), yes, they have contacted their senators and are now going through the entire process again!

I worry about no having "enough" evidence for this consulate! My husband and I are in our 40's. He works 10 to 16 hour days most of the time and just does not get on the computer to chat or email. He CALLS. There are time lapses in the call records because Nigeria is terrible for providing them. He goes, pays for the records, and is always asked to come back the following week. It takes a month of "coming back next month" to get the records you need, causing lapses in the paperwork and they will only go back three months at a time. He has now changed phone companies for the third time and from here out to interview he is going every month to get the records. The service is more expensive but they provide records. My hubby is OLD FASHIONED...I am his wife, he is responsible for keeping in touch and making sure the chidren and I are fine. I do call him, but very little and always with a calling card. I also work full time.

We have our facebook pages...there are gaps there as well. Sometimes we will play around on there or I will post a new photo for him to upload to his phone.

Lastly, we have a ton...(maybe three thousand) of photos. But that is all the evidence he will have for his interview. I guess we will just have to pray and believe that will be all he needs.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.