mfa

Can I Be the Sponsor?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Can I sponsor my wife?

I have lived in Peru (without leaving) for 7 months.

I have a job HERE in Peru as a teacher and get paid well.

In 2011, I still lived in the US where I was also a teacher. Naturally, I paid my taxes like normal and have those files.

The thing is, if/when we do go back to the US I will not have a job waiting for me (who's gonna hire a teacher that doesnt even know when they are coming???)...and naturally I will no longer be a teacher here in Peru. Technically, I will be unemployed.

Does the fact that I earned (X) amount of money in the US during the previous year count for anything?

You will need a US based income, and you have to be employed in order to qualify for sponsoring. You would be better of to find a co-sponsor, since you can't qualify on your own.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

No, it doesn't count. Income must be current and ongoing, and yours won't be. Your options are:

- filing DCF, then you move ahead of your wife to get a job in the USA and send her paystubs.

- Sponsor on assets (3 times as much as income).

- Get a co-sponsor

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Timeline

No, it doesn't count. Income must be current and ongoing, and yours won't be. Your options are:

- filing DCF, then you move ahead of your wife to get a job in the USA and send her paystubs.

- Sponsor on assets (3 times as much as income).

- Get a co-sponsor

So I would indeed be a sponsor...just not THE sponsor. There would be two.

If I dont have a job, should I even be a co-sponsor???

I mean, it doesnt sound as if I really have anything tangible to offer.

Should I simply and ONLY use my mother, sister, etc and leave me out of it altogether???

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

As the petitioner, you will always be primary sponsor, and will need to fill in a I-864, even if it is all zeros. This is a good thing to mention to a potential co-sponsor, because it means should the government want money, they would always come after you first, and only if you cannot pay would they go after the co-sponsor.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.