globetrotter

waiting for a social security number in order to get marriage license

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

An NC County Registers of Deeds should accept an affidavit in lieu of an SSN. The affidavit states that the applicant must be "ineligible for a social security number because he or she has not been admitted to the United States for permanent residence or employment." A K-1 is a non-immigrant visa for admission with the intent of marriage, not permanent residence or employment (hence AOS with optional EAD), and the fact that a K-1 is eligible to obtain a SSN on K-1 status does not imply "eligibility" based on "permanent residence or employment." Perhaps splitting hairs, but that's the law. If your local county Register adamently refuses to issue a marriage license, an option is to request one at a more accomodating neighbor county Register of Deeds since one does not have to marry in the same NC county as the issuer of the NC marriage license.

http://ncinfo.iog.unc.edu/pubs/nclegis/ncl...erfourteen.html

Quoted from Chapter 14 of the N.C. Legislation 1998: Land Records and Registers of Deeds:

Vital Records

Marriage Licenses

Effective October 1, 1997, the General Assembly amended G.S. 51-8 (S.L. 1997-443) to require each applicant for a marriage license to provide on the application his or her social security number. This amendment was to expire June 30, 1998. Because of the short time the amendment was to be in effect, registers of deeds were advised in Land Records Bulletin No. 24 that if an applicant did not have a social security number, the register of deeds could accept an affidavit to that effect and issue the license anyway. With the enactment of S.L. 1998-17 (S 1182), the 1998 General Assembly removed the June 30, 1998, expiration date and made the 1997 amendment to G.S. 51-8 permanent. In light of this action, registers of deeds should treat the requirement of a social security number as they would any other requirement for a marriage license (such as the requirement that the applicants be at least eighteen years old, except in certain cases) and should not issue a marriage license to an applicant who does not have a social security number, except in the situation discussed below. Registers should require documentary evidence that the social security number given by the applicant is correct, just as they would require proof of age in many cases. A social security card is one means of providing this documentation, but it is not the only way; a W-2 form or pay stub should also be acceptable, as would a statement from a social security office.

In a few cases, an applicant for a marriage license may not have a social security number and may be ineligible to obtain one. This is most likely to occur in the case of certain aliens. Aliens admitted to this country for permanent residence or to engage in employment are eligible to obtain social security numbers. 42 U.S.C. § 405©(2)(B(i)(I). Aliens not in these categories are ineligible for social security numbers. In an advisory opinion to Katherine Lee Payne, Guilford County Register of Deeds, dated August 14, 1998, Andrew Vanore, General Counsel, North Carolina Department of Justice, stated that a register of deeds should issue a marriage license to an alien who is ineligible for a social security number as long as the alien meets all other requirements for obtaining a marriage license. The opinion further states that in order to issue a license in this situation the register should require proof that the applicant is a foreign national (a passport, U.S. visa, or I.N.S. travel or work permit will establish this) and an affidavit that the applicant is ineligible for a social security number because he or she has not been admitted to the United States for permanent residence or employment.

Filed: Other Timeline
According to this link http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_st...north_carolina/ you don't need the SSN for a marriage licence. An international birth certificate and a passport should do just fine.

Lots of those sites give incorrect information. Don't ever use them. Really.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You probably have your aqnswer by now, but I have just been married in NC. NC does not require a SSN to get married. The non-USC will have to sign and affidavit at the office when applying for a marriage license. I did all the research, because in SOUTH Carolina you CAN NOT get married without a SSN, period! ! !

Good Luck!

Devereux

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi guys! Thought I would let you know that I went to the SS office this morning and they were able to give me my number and an official piece of paper showing the number. They say it looks like the card got lost in the post and have re-issued it. They went and got the marrige license.. so we will be gettitng married for real on Saturday - hurrah!!

Thanks for all your comments - glad not everyone has had these problems in NC. I was however told by the lady at the marriage license office two weeks ago that I could NOT sign the affidavit as I was eligible for one and that I did require a number...... I guess it depends who you speak to!!

Maggie

K1 Application

23 Feb 2006 - I-129 mailed

14 August 2006 - Approved!!!! :-)

21 October 2006 - Married in the mountains of North Carolina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Application

6 November 2006 - Applied for AOS, EAD and AP

09 Decemeber 2006 - e-mail received to say case was trasferred to California

16 December 2006- biometric appointment in Charlotte, NC

20 Jan 2007 -AP approved

24 Jan -EAD approved

28 June -Green card ordered

7 July wedding celebrations in Scotland

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline
Why not call your county's register of deeds office before you actually go there in the flesh? I mean, the time you're spending here in VJ could be better spent on the phone, talking to a county employee instead.

;-)

Huh??? I did, that is when I was given the information I had before. Anyways, now I have the license.

K1 Application

23 Feb 2006 - I-129 mailed

14 August 2006 - Approved!!!! :-)

21 October 2006 - Married in the mountains of North Carolina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Application

6 November 2006 - Applied for AOS, EAD and AP

09 Decemeber 2006 - e-mail received to say case was trasferred to California

16 December 2006- biometric appointment in Charlotte, NC

20 Jan 2007 -AP approved

24 Jan -EAD approved

28 June -Green card ordered

7 July wedding celebrations in Scotland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.