Russell T

Education questions

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'm in the process of helping my fiancee get started on the P3 forms and a couple ask about her education. Form DS-157 wants school and any vocational institutions but not elementary school, does this mean starting with middle school and going through high school and college?

DS-230 wants her to list all educational institutions attended, How far back should she go?

Any help would be appreciated.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I can tell you in my instance, my wife on the DS230, just put all the way from elementary school. She has a college degree, and even put that on the form, but they never asked about it (to see, it or anything). I've been told that they don't usually check into these things, as well, if it's just regular education (just a bachelor's or associate's, I figure), so if you're not 100% sure on the dates (we weren't), don't sweat it too much, unless there's an issue or something in the education. That was our experience, anyway.

Timeline

My fiancee had an entirely different experience in Guangzhou. So I guess it depends on what Embassy & the mood of the Consular Officer at the moment... My fiancee not only included all education going back to primary school and all jobs for the past 10 years, but she also submitted a "resume" with all relevant work and educational history for past 10 years with references in chronological order. The result: Delay for "Administrative Processing" for unknown reasons for unknown length of time (averages 90 days, I'm told). The "blue letter" that came to her in the mail asked for "detailed work/educational history for past 10 years." She sent the same one back to them that she gave them at intake. It was already 100% factual, up-to-date, and certified by translator. Bottom line: you can't know for sure. The system is designed to keep you in the dark. Best to have more than they asked for on hand at the interview. Then, you still might be rejected for unstated reasons for undetermined time. Hope it's not US Embassy in Guangzhou you're dealing with, as they have 50% denial rate. Best wishes!

Timeline

My fiancee had an entirely different experience in Guangzhou. So I guess it depends on what Embassy & the mood of the Consular Officer at the moment... My fiancee not only included all education going back to primary school and all jobs for the past 10 years, but she also submitted a "resume" with all relevant work and educational history for past 10 years with references in chronological order. The result: Delay for "Administrative Processing" for unknown reasons for unknown length of time (averages 90 days, I'm told). The "blue letter" that came to her in the mail asked for "detailed work/educational history for past 10 years." She sent the same one back to them that she gave them at intake. It was already 100% factual, up-to-date, and certified by translator. Bottom line: you can't know for sure. The system is designed to keep you in the dark. Best to have more than they asked for on hand at the interview. Then, you still might be rejected for unstated reasons for undetermined time. Hope it's not US Embassy in Guangzhou you're dealing with, as they have 50% denial rate. Best wishes!

Yikes!

By chance, did your fiancee work in any specialized or technical fields or have post-graduate degrees? Mine had a bachelor's, and taught English through high school (not special enough for them).

And as to that last part, the 50% isn't very surprising. But all China goes through Guangzhou's consulate for this...

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

OP- while it is good to be well prepared she'll need to sign these documents closer to her interview date so I would advise against completing them now and then turning them in at the interview.

Big Baby- Sounds like they might be concerned with CCP membership? All IV applicants go through Guangzhou.

Timeline

For the education section it says for each listing to say whether it was a "degree or diploma," so I wouldn't list anything before high school because you don't get anything for completing middle school. We just listed my wife's college, which the consulate did call during the background check.

Sept 9, 2011: NOA1

March 16, 2012: NOA2

April 10, 2012: NVC Case Number Assigned, AOS Invoice Received

April 11, 2012: OPTIN for EP with DS-3032 sent, AOS bill paid

April 12, 2012: AOS Package Sent

April 17, 2012: IV Bill invoiced, paid

April 19, 2012: IV package sent

April 20, 2012: Checklist for AOS asking for letter of employment, response sent

April 23, 2012: Letter approving DS-230, False checklist for AOS checklist

May 1, 2012: Appointment Letter Received (for May 23rd)

May 22, 2012: Interview canceled pending further medical tests

July 15, 2012: New Appointment letter Received

August 1, 2012: Interview, Approved

Timeline

For the education section it says for each listing to say whether it was a "degree or diploma," so I wouldn't list anything before high school because you don't get anything for completing middle school. We just listed my wife's college, which the consulate did call during the background check.

How did you know they called?

Timeline

Thanks for the feedback. After Skyping with my fiancee I learned it takes 4 years of college to get a degree, three years to get a diploma. My SO spent three years at ABA teachers college and then taught math at her the high school she went to. It's not like she's a youngster, she taught math util 1997 and then went into helping other teaches plan their study coarses.

It boils down to just how far back do you need to go. We sit here and worry that the plug will get pulled because we do not supply enough information but after 10-15 years how much can you remember? You school phone #'s? for example one of her schools moved because in 89 the old one was destroyed by an earthquake. She plans to go back there because it's also where she was born so she can get her birth certificate and police cert, she still has great fear about going back. The 50% denial rate was not good news either.

Timeline

How did you know they called?

Her former head teacher still kept in touch with her friends and after they called him he called my wife's friends and then they called my wife.

Sept 9, 2011: NOA1

March 16, 2012: NOA2

April 10, 2012: NVC Case Number Assigned, AOS Invoice Received

April 11, 2012: OPTIN for EP with DS-3032 sent, AOS bill paid

April 12, 2012: AOS Package Sent

April 17, 2012: IV Bill invoiced, paid

April 19, 2012: IV package sent

April 20, 2012: Checklist for AOS asking for letter of employment, response sent

April 23, 2012: Letter approving DS-230, False checklist for AOS checklist

May 1, 2012: Appointment Letter Received (for May 23rd)

May 22, 2012: Interview canceled pending further medical tests

July 15, 2012: New Appointment letter Received

August 1, 2012: Interview, Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.