diana85

Petitioning my parents and 19 year old sister

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello everyone! I was reading some posts here and let me tell you, what a great information resource!Very helpful and informative for people who can not afford big $$ to hire a lawyer! But unfortunately I could not find anything directly related to my case, so I would really appreciate any advice you can give me. I can petition my parents finally:) they've come here twice already and still have their visa to come visit. I have a sister who is 19 years old who's never been here and I would love her to come visit and hopefully move here permanently someday. So from what I understand, if I petition my parents, my sister can not come here with them under derivative category(correct me if I am wrong please) I know that if my parents gonna have petition pending here there's almost no chance for her(my sister) to get her tourist visa to come, because with all that immigration protection she would probably get denied under the intent to immigrate(which she has no intention on doing though) So the question is, what is the best thing to do right now: petition both parents and then after they get their LPR they can petition her? OR petition just my mom and then after she gets her GC she can petition my dad and my sister(would she qualify as derivative then?)

Also, after I petition my parents can they come visit with their visa that they already have or would my petition somehow result in annulment of their current visa? I know the process is long, and would really want them to come visit in the summer to celebrate their grandson birthday with them.

Thank you all very much and good luck with all your immigration process!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello everyone! I was reading some posts here and let me tell you, what a great information resource!Very helpful and informative for people who can not afford big $ to hire a lawyer! But unfortunately I could not find anything directly related to my case, so I would really appreciate any advice you can give me. I can petition my parents finally:) they've come here twice already and still have their visa to come visit. I have a sister who is 19 years old who's never been here and I would love her to come visit and hopefully move here permanently someday. So from what I understand, if I petition my parents, my sister can not come here with them under derivative category(correct me if I am wrong please) I know that if my parents gonna have petition pending here there's almost no chance for her(my sister) to get her tourist visa to come, because with all that immigration protection she would probably get denied under the intent to immigrate(which she has no intention on doing though) So the question is, what is the best thing to do right now: petition both parents and then after they get their LPR they can petition her? OR petition just my mom and then after she gets her GC she can petition my dad and my sister(would she qualify as derivative then?)

Also, after I petition my parents can they come visit with their visa that they already have or would my petition somehow result in annulment of their current visa? I know the process is long, and would really want them to come visit in the summer to celebrate their grandson birthday with them.

Thank you all very much and good luck with all your immigration process!

If your parents already have visitor's visas, they will not be revoked, but if they expire, they will not likely be renewed after you petition them. It's slightly quicker for your sister to wait until your mother gets here and have her petition her after she gets her green card. It may only take 8 years instead of 10+. She has to stay single though or the deal is off.

We are the poster children for chain migration!

K-1 Visa

10/13/06 - NOA1

01/25/07 - NOA2

02/12/07 - NVC sent petition to Guangzhou consulate

04/27/07 - Packet 3 received

06/17/07 - Packet 4 received

07/05/07 - Interview - Passed!

07/07/07 - Received K-1 visa

03/20/08 - Received 2 year Green Card

02/21/10 - Received 10 Year Green Card

10/18/11 - Sent N-400

03/22/12 - Sworn in as USC

IR-5 for parents

03/23/12 - Sent I-130

03/29/12 - NOA1

06/29/12 - NOA2

07/23/12 - NVC Received

08/10/12 - Received NVC Case No. and IIN

08/21/12 - AOS Fee Bill Received

08/27/12 - AOS Fee Bill Paid

09/04/12 - GZO numbers received

09/04/12 - AOS E-Mailed

09/06/12 - IV Fee Paid

09/06/12 - DS-230 E-Mailed

09/18/12 - Case Complete

11/01/12 - Interview - Passed

11/08/12 - Received IR-5 visa

F2-B for Brother & Sister

08/28/13 - NOA1

12/24/13 - NOA2

01/15/19 - Welcome letter

02/28/19 - Case Complete

06/20/19 - Interview letter

07/17-18/19 - Interview - Passed

07/31/19 - Received F2-B visa

Timeline

Thank you very much for your prompt response, Mike and Lily! So they should have no problem coming here after I petition them and spending time with us until its time to go back for their interview you think? Do you have any idea how long it might take after I petition them till they get here?

thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Thank you very much for your prompt response, Mike and Lily! So they should have no problem coming here after I petition them and spending time with us until its time to go back for their interview you think? Do you have any idea how long it might take after I petition them till they get here?

thank you!

If everything goes smoothly, your parents will likely get their visas 8-9 months after you apply.

We are the poster children for chain migration!

K-1 Visa

10/13/06 - NOA1

01/25/07 - NOA2

02/12/07 - NVC sent petition to Guangzhou consulate

04/27/07 - Packet 3 received

06/17/07 - Packet 4 received

07/05/07 - Interview - Passed!

07/07/07 - Received K-1 visa

03/20/08 - Received 2 year Green Card

02/21/10 - Received 10 Year Green Card

10/18/11 - Sent N-400

03/22/12 - Sworn in as USC

IR-5 for parents

03/23/12 - Sent I-130

03/29/12 - NOA1

06/29/12 - NOA2

07/23/12 - NVC Received

08/10/12 - Received NVC Case No. and IIN

08/21/12 - AOS Fee Bill Received

08/27/12 - AOS Fee Bill Paid

09/04/12 - GZO numbers received

09/04/12 - AOS E-Mailed

09/06/12 - IV Fee Paid

09/06/12 - DS-230 E-Mailed

09/18/12 - Case Complete

11/01/12 - Interview - Passed

11/08/12 - Received IR-5 visa

F2-B for Brother & Sister

08/28/13 - NOA1

12/24/13 - NOA2

01/15/19 - Welcome letter

02/28/19 - Case Complete

06/20/19 - Interview letter

07/17-18/19 - Interview - Passed

07/31/19 - Received F2-B visa

Filed: Timeline

If your parents already have visitor's visas, they will not be revoked, but if they expire, they will not likely be renewed after you petition them. It's slightly quicker for your sister to wait until your mother gets here and have her petition her after she gets her green card. It may only take 8 years instead of 10+. She has to stay single though or the deal is off.

You're right about the time frames, but no one should absolutely count on either the sibling or son/daughter visas actually coming through in that time period. It may be much longer or either of those categories (especially siblings) could be eliminated by Congress before then.

Timeline

You're right about the time frames, but no one should absolutely count on either the sibling or son/daughter visas actually coming through in that time period. It may be much longer or either of those categories (especially siblings) could be eliminated by Congress before then.

Tnaks for your input, grrrrreat! I hope Congress will be kind enough not to eliminate any categories, because there are so many of us here wishing so much for their family members to be close to them!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.