35 posts in this topic

first, I apologize for not properly introducing myself. I've been lurking around here since july and this has been a great coping tool as I near the end of this long and arduous 7+ year journey. I promise to post my odyssey, which perhaps will give some of you a "well, at least I don't have it as bad as that person" perspective, at a later date. but I digress.

purpose of this post is to seek advice or find someone that has found themselves in my current predicament. you see, yesterday I FINALLY had my interview and in the end I was informed that I was approved. no more fees, no more finger prints, no more interviews. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. however, there was a catch. the official could not order my gc because I was a victim of the retrogression -- he pulled the OCT bulletin out of a desk drawer -- since my priority date is JAN 01. I was current when I squeaked my AOS application at the end of june before the dates started being reversed. my immediate fear was that my file would be forgotten when my cut-off date became current in the future. the gentleman informed me that my file would be set aside in a place that would be monitored frequently and as soon as my number came up again, they would release my gc.

not wanting to risk having it gather dust I decided I would schedule an infopass appointment as soon as I became current again. imagine my surprise when I discovered this morning that the NOVEMBER bulletin had been posted today and according to it I will be allotted a number. my questions are:

- is my number allocation effective immediately or on november 1st?

- if I schedule an infopass appointment for nov. 1st could that cause a conflict with my file being shipped off to have the gc made? or should I sit back and wait to see what my attorneys find out -- they drafted a letter to a supervisor (and also asked me the name of the person that conducted my interview) this afternoon?

thanks in advance for your replies.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest you go over to another forum like immigrationportal.com to ask this question? Its just that most people here are K-1 visa holders getting immigration through marriage to a USC, so have no experience with what you are going through.

Hence rebaccajo's answer above.

Filed: Timeline
first, I apologize for not properly introducing myself. I've been lurking around here since july and this has been a great coping tool as I near the end of this long and arduous 7+ year journey. I promise to post my odyssey, which perhaps will give some of you a "well, at least I don't have it as bad as that person" perspective, at a later date. but I digress.

purpose of this post is to seek advice or find someone that has found themselves in my current predicament. you see, yesterday I FINALLY had my interview and in the end I was informed that I was approved. no more fees, no more finger prints, no more interviews. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. however, there was a catch. the official could not order my gc because I was a victim of the retrogression -- he pulled the OCT bulletin out of a desk drawer -- since my priority date is JAN 01. I was current when I squeaked my AOS application at the end of june before the dates started being reversed. my immediate fear was that my file would be forgotten when my cut-off date became current in the future. the gentleman informed me that my file would be set aside in a place that would be monitored frequently and as soon as my number came up again, they would release my gc.

not wanting to risk having it gather dust I decided I would schedule an infopass appointment as soon as I became current again. imagine my surprise when I discovered this morning that the NOVEMBER bulletin had been posted today and according to it I will be allotted a number. my questions are:

- is my number allocation effective immediately or on november 1st?

- if I schedule an infopass appointment for nov. 1st could that cause a conflict with my file being shipped off to have the gc made? or should I sit back and wait to see what my attorneys find out -- they drafted a letter to a supervisor (and also asked me the name of the person that conducted my interview) this afternoon?

thanks in advance for your replies.

chromedOut,

I doubt you'll gain much help in this forum. While I think you're on the right track with your attorney, each month, the State Department issues a visa bulletin, usually in the middle of the month. that will take effect on the first day of the following month. My understanding is that a case can't be approved until PD is current, but they can continue to work on the case. I suspect yours will stand in queue until then.

Edited by diadromous mermaid

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

I don't see anything wrong with the location of this post. Visajourney is for family immigration -- not just marriage based immigration. There is a forum here for bringing family members of US citizens to the US and a forum for bringing family members of permanent residents to the US. Since this post was about the AOS interview of a family member, then this is a perfectly reasonable location to post. The topic of this forum isn't marriage based AOS--it's AOS General Discussion under the heading General Family Based Immigration topics. It absolutely belongs here.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Regardless of your argument, this is the first time I have seen someone mention the visa bulletin on this forum, suggesting that not many on this site will have much to say about the OP's predicament.

I suggested immigrationportal.com because over there people are talking about issues like Priority Dates and the Visa Bulletin constantly. It just seemed prudent to give the guy the best advice I could, which was to go somewhere where there were other people who were going through the same thing he was.

Applicability of the forum also depends upon whether the enquiry relates to a family-based immigration issue, or employment-based.

If I'm not mistaken, this is family-based. She was petitioned by her father.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

11/09/2005 Medical

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/17/2005 Wedding

02/09/2006 NOA

07/24/2006 GC arrived

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

Applicability of the forum also depends upon whether the enquiry relates to a family-based immigration issue, or employment-based.

If I'm not mistaken, this is family-based. She was petitioned by her father.

Yes, in this case it applies. Having looked, now, I see that chromedOut is indeed being petitioned by his father. But my comment still stands. Retrogression and it's impact on adjustment of status without further specification could apply to employment-based petitions, in which case this forum might not be the best suited for the purpose.

"diaddie mermaid"

:blink:

f35qw2.gif

f35qif.gif

Click here to view our webpage!

jt179g.jpg

AOS Approved!! icon_woohoo.gif

Apply to remove conditions August 13, 2008!

Click here for our complete Immigration Timeline

2uhvevm.gif

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."--Author Unknown

What the heck are you talking about?

I'm sorry, I guess "Adjustment of Status (Green Card) General Discussion

Once you are in the US you will need to file for Adjustment of Status (AOS) to become a permanent resident of the USA. This process is lengthy and can be confusing at first...." under the General Family Based Immigration Topics must mean that this board is still married based only just like the top section exclusively dedicated to it.

or perhaps some married people's holier-than-thou attitude clouds their reading comprehension.

I will take dh lha's suggestion and state my case on another forum, where I'll perhaps be met by a more helpful and attentive audience.

What the heck are you talking about?

I'm sorry, I guess "Adjustment of Status (Green Card) General Discussion

Once you are in the US you will need to file for Adjustment of Status (AOS) to become a permanent resident of the USA. This process is lengthy and can be confusing at first...." under the General Family Based Immigration Topics must mean that this board is still married based only just like the top section exclusively dedicated to it.

or perhaps some married people's holier-than-thou attitude clouds their reading comprehension.

I will take dh lha's suggestion and state my case on another forum, where I'll perhaps be met by a more helpful and attentive audience.

chromedOut,

I don't think anyone was suggesting that you not post here, but that your original request, that others who've experienced the same situation offer information and/or guidance might not generate many replies here. I can only speak for myself, but without searching for other posts where you explained your background (and note that your profile contains nothing to speak of in terms of status) this thread contained little in the way of information. I believe rebeccajo was simply confused, and if she and others learn more of the particular process you're engaged in, isn't that one of the purposes of a site like this? That we all learn more about immigration in general.

I can only speak for myself, but I believe you may have misunderstood the comments on this thread. I certainly wouldn't classify the activity as unhelpful or inattentive :) Relax, and stay a while..........

"diaddie mermaid"

Filed: Other Timeline

I saw his other post last night and this one this morning. I knew from the tone of both that it was likely not family based immigration. In the other post he says he will be getting his 'visa' and here he talks about 'getting a number'. I had no clue what was happening. I really needed the backstory to learn. It ALMOST sounded like he had the processes mixed up but since I had no clue what he was talking about I sure wasn't going to say 'hey dumass u r lost'. THAT would have been rude.

Edited by rebeccajo

Basically this guy is asking his question on the wrong forum.

Maybe this response in the other post gave the impression that this was not the place to post--however wrong.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

11/09/2005 Medical

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/17/2005 Wedding

02/09/2006 NOA

07/24/2006 GC arrived

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.