torrell17

NAME CHANGE AFTER MARRIED

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My fiancee filled out the AOS package with her current name, not under her new married last name. We hand in the marriage certificate but didn't change her last name on the forms. We submitted the package already and now wondering how can she change her last name??? Does she have to wait until her first green card arrives to update it???? When can she apply for a SSN???? Does she wait until we get the employment papers approve???

THANKS YOU

She should have applied for AOS in her married name. To change it on your green card after will cost a lot more money. I highly doubt you can get them to change it before you get the green card now.

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Please update your timeline it stops at your I-129f approval. If she filed for AOS I assume you mean your wife and not your fiancée? The GC will be issued under the name she put on the form. If she filed her maiden name, they will issue the GC with her name as it appears on her birth certificate. You can pay to have it changed after it has been issued, wait 2 years for ROC or, if you have a sit down interview, ask the IO to change it (for free).

For SSA, she has until her I-94 has no less than 14 days left to apply for a social security number. If that time has passed, you will need to wait for her GC to apply. There a great on how to apply here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Timeline

Her SSN will also end up being in her maiden name as her id will have her maiden name

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Like SF said, if you have an interview, you may be able to get the IO to change it. Someone recently had luck with this. If there is no interview, you're stuck with the name in the forms, unfortunately.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I applied using my married name, that was what they had on file for me until I submitted my old passport which had my maiden name. I decided to change my name on my passport so I got a new passport. At that point, my case was already completed and sent to Montreal. I tried to submit my new passport, they told me that I just need to inform them at the interview they'd update it then.

I had my interview yesterday (approved!) and I had no problem with that, I showed them my new passport, the lady at the window created a new file folder for me with my new name and she also updated my file in the system.

Timeline

I applied using my married name, that was what they had on file for me until I submitted my old passport which had my maiden name. I decided to change my name on my passport so I got a new passport. At that point, my case was already completed and sent to Montreal. I tried to submit my new passport, they told me that I just need to inform them at the interview they'd update it then.

I had my interview yesterday (approved!) and I had no problem with that, I showed them my new passport, the lady at the window created a new file folder for me with my new name and she also updated my file in the system.

OP is talking about AOS after moving to the US on a K1 visa. Rules for a spousal visa do not apply in this case.

Congratulations on your approval :)

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.