TNiil

Will I qualify?

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm an IR-1 holder received in 09/17/07 and eligible to file for the naturalization 06/17/12 according to the 5 years and -90 days rule. However, provided that I've

- been physically in the US couple days over the required 30 months = 2.5 years so far,

- never been absent for more than 6 months,

- filed and paid my US and state taxes every year from my foreign income,

- possess only some bank and investment accounts in the US and

- have a real mailing address and driver's license in the US

will I qualify for a US citizenship?

Thanks

Filed: Timeline

Hi all,

I'm an IR-1 holder received in 09/17/07 and eligible to file for the naturalization 06/17/12 according to the 5 years and -90 days rule. However, provided that I've

- been physically in the US couple days over the required 30 months = 2.5 years so far,

- never been absent for more than 6 months,

- filed and paid my US and state taxes every year from my foreign income,

- possess only some bank and investment accounts in the US and

- have a real mailing address and driver's license in the US

will I qualify for a US citizenship?

Thanks

Review the chart on page 18-19 for all the requirements. http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf Sounds like you have a good start.

If you have been married to a U.S. citizen and residing with your spouse for three years, you are eligible to file the N-400 now.

U.S. bank accounts, mailing address and driver's license are irrelevant.

Edited by grrrrreat

• 4 weeks later...

Review the chart on page 18-19 for all the requirements. http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf Sounds like you have a good start.

If you have been married to a U.S. citizen and residing with your spouse for three years, you are eligible to file the N-400 now.

U.S. bank accounts, mailing address and driver's license are irrelevant.

What if I postpone my application until next year to the 6th anniversary of being PR, will my physical presence for the first year count in or not then?

Filed: Timeline

What if I postpone my application until next year to the 6th anniversary of being PR, will my physical presence for the first year count in or not then?

No, physical presence refers to your qualifying period. So you need to be present for 30 months out of the 5 years prior to your naturalization. And you need to be an LPR for five years without any trips outside of the U.S. for more than six months.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Please, correct me if i am wrong, but if you have been present in the US just a couple of days over the required minimum - 30 months (if I got it right), I would not apply for N-400 as of right now. I would wait to apply later. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.