James Dalton

Interview at Canadian Embassy

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

First time on and doing this for my US Fiancee. The question is mine here in Canada. WE have filed the K1 Fiancee visa and NOA1 received on Jan 27th so they are about 30 days from reviewing. I will have no issue with approval, as I have seen my fiancee 8 times in the last 12 months and am ready to move from Canada to USA. I still have my home to sell and a few investments to tidy up. MY QUESTION : If anyone knows... when I go for my interview in June or July, will they take my canadian passport and not return? Reason is that since you must cross the border using the Packet 3 and marry within 90 days, my hopes was to still make a few more visits to Boston area over August and Sept and then in Nov cross and arrange the marriage in 90 days.

I can always delay the medical and stuff that might be needed. Does anyone know?

First time on and doing this for my US Fiancee. The question is mine here in Canada. WE have filed the K1 Fiancee visa and NOA1 received on Jan 27th so they are about 30 days from reviewing. I will have no issue with approval, as I have seen my fiancee 8 times in the last 12 months and am ready to move from Canada to USA. I still have my home to sell and a few investments to tidy up. MY QUESTION : If anyone knows... when I go for my interview in June or July, will they take my canadian passport and not return? Reason is that since you must cross the border using the Packet 3 and marry within 90 days, my hopes was to still make a few more visits to Boston area over August and Sept and then in Nov cross and arrange the marriage in 90 days.

I can always delay the medical and stuff that might be needed. Does anyone know?

They will take the Canadian passport to put the visa in it. Once it's returned to you (or once you go pick it up, actually) .. you can try to go to the US and not activate it, but I don't recommend taking that risk. People have been able to in the past, but the K1 visa is a ONE TIME ENTRY only and again, I wouldn't risk it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "you must cross the border using the Packet 3" ... Packet 3 is something the embassy sends you that tells you what documents are needed to be sent in or brought with the beneficiary to the interview. It's nothing you 'cross the border with'..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Why on earth would they take the passport and not return it?

The visa is glued inside the passport. After your interview you get the passport back in about 1-2 weeks with the visa in it.

It is highly unlikely you will be able to enter and not activate the K-1 visa especially with your idea of entering a few times. Its very very rare to even be allowed to enter 1 time and not activate the visa. Even for Canadians.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Why on earth would they take the passport and not return it?

I am pretty sure they meant 'not return it immediately' .. not 'not return it EVER'.

At the time of interview they keep the passport so your visa and I-94 can be put in. As for your medical it is good for a year. If you want to stall then just schedule your interview later in august or september as we schedule our own interview dates.Once you have interviewed you can still wait (I think!!!) for up to 4-6 months) better check that time frame to cross the border. So in reality you can delay your POE for awhile.

Hope some of this helps

Terri

Fiance visa

04/28/2011 - I-129F - DENIED

02/18/2012 - I-129F petition filed
02/24/2012 - NOA1
09/04/2012 - NOA2, 193 days

Interview:10/22/2012
POE: 10/26/2012 (245 days)

Removal of Conditions

Filed for ROC - 06/09/2015

NOA1 for ROC - 06/12/2015

Biometrics appointment - 07/17/2015

Approval for ROC - 04/20/2016 (316 days)

Naturalization Process

N-400 Filed 06/10/2016

N-400 NOA1 06/14/2016

N-400 biometrics 06/20/16

N-400 interview 01/23/2017

N-400 Oath ceremony 02/10/2017

Immigration Process took 2116 days.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

At the time of interview they keep the passport so your visa and I-94 can be put in. As for your medical it is good for a year. If you want to stall then just schedule your interview later in august or september as we schedule our own interview dates.Once you have interviewed you can still wait (I think!!!) for up to 4-6 months) better check that time frame to cross the border. So in reality you can delay your POE for awhile.

Hope some of this helps

Terri

The I-94 is not attached to the passport until successful entry to the USA. Its not put in at the interview.

If crossing by land its a 6$ USD fee for the I-94, if crossing by air its included in the price of the airline stuff.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

If you are interviewing in Montreal and haven't even got your NOA2 yet, I really don't think you need to worry about interviewing in June or July. You still have a ways to go in the process. NOA2 to interview, in Montreal, seems to average about 4 months. (If you're interviewing in Vancouver, feel free to ignore all of my answer above).

If you NEED to travel back in forth in August/September without activating the K1, you should probably just consider stalling on booking your interview until October, so you are ready to go in November.

The K-1 Visa journey for myself and my two K-2 children:

K-1: NOA1 2011-8-10; NOA2 2012-1-12; Interview 2012-4-24; Visa issued 2012-9-17; POE (Sarnia) 2012-9-26; Wedding! 2012-10-02
AOS: NOA1 2012-11-20; Biometrics 2012-12-14; AP/EAD approved 2013-1-11; Interview 2013-1-31; 2-yr Green cards in hand 2013-2-9 (101 days total)

ROC: NOA1 11-7-14; Biometrics 12-1-14; 10-yr Green cards ordered 4-13-15! (157 days total)

Counting down to naturalization time!

Timeline

If you are interviewing in Montreal and haven't even got your NOA2 yet, I really don't think you need to worry about interviewing in June or July. You still have a ways to go in the process. NOA2 to interview, in Montreal, seems to average about 4 months. (If you're interviewing in Vancouver, feel free to ignore all of my answer above).

If you NEED to travel back in forth in August/September without activating the K1, you should probably just consider stalling on booking your interview until October, so you are ready to go in November.

This would be my suggestion too. Once you get your NOA2, you'll have a better idea of when you can book an interview. I would just wait to book an interview until October so you can travel back and forth with ease and not worry about getting a customs officer that insists you must use your visa.

I would check into how long NOA1--> NOA2 is taking right now. Usually it's not that quick, around 4-5 months. Then from NOA2, you'll have to get packet 3 and then comes the interview. You're looking at 9-10 months easy for Montreal (again this is different for Vancouver).

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Hope some of this helps

Terri

Thanks Terri... I think this is my plan. I am a retired Canadian banker and with selling my home and getting things done....I am visiting again in June to Boston, and so if i dont have the interview for a few months... ( delay it as you say ), I still have my passport to continue to travel and then once we are set to move I finish up the interview and use POE at Buffalo and away we go. Thanks for the reply.

Hope some of this helps

Terri

Timeline

Thank you... I am a winnipeg boy. I agree and was not aware that the interview was at my descretion on booking. I have a few family events in Boston Area in Sept and early October so being able to still travel down for a few day or week is important. I have a dated NOA1 Jan 28th and they are currently reviewing Dec31st. So all in all it should work out. Just thankful for all the replies and help on this matter. A banker for 31 years and this is more stressful.

thanks again

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you... I am a winnipeg boy. I agree and was not aware that the interview was at my descretion on booking. I have a few family events in Boston Area in Sept and early October so being able to still travel down for a few day or week is important. I have a dated NOA1 Jan 28th and they are currently reviewing Dec31st. So all in all it should work out. Just thankful for all the replies and help on this matter. A banker for 31 years and this is more stressful.

thanks again

If ur in Winterpeg, ur k1 interview should be in Vancouver, which is normally much faster than Mtl!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Hope you get to maybe take in a baseball game at Fenway (if you like baseball) we are down in West Haven CT, 2 hours away from Boston. What a pretty place Boston is. We went last summer and I had my sign ( hand made) which states I was Canadian but the sign police said it went against copyright so I was only allowed to show it between innings. ...... But they photographed it for their website. :thumbs:

Even going through Vancouver you can delay things by just taking your time.

Terri

Fiance visa

04/28/2011 - I-129F - DENIED

02/18/2012 - I-129F petition filed
02/24/2012 - NOA1
09/04/2012 - NOA2, 193 days

Interview:10/22/2012
POE: 10/26/2012 (245 days)

Removal of Conditions

Filed for ROC - 06/09/2015

NOA1 for ROC - 06/12/2015

Biometrics appointment - 07/17/2015

Approval for ROC - 04/20/2016 (316 days)

Naturalization Process

N-400 Filed 06/10/2016

N-400 NOA1 06/14/2016

N-400 biometrics 06/20/16

N-400 interview 01/23/2017

N-400 Oath ceremony 02/10/2017

Immigration Process took 2116 days.

Timeline

Hope you get to maybe take in a baseball game at Fenway (if you like baseball) we are down in West Haven CT, 2 hours away from Boston. What a pretty place Boston is. We went last summer and I had my sign ( hand made) which states I was Canadian but the sign police said it went against copyright so I was only allowed to show it between innings. ...... But they photographed it for their website. :thumbs:

Even going through Vancouver you can delay things by just taking your time.

Terri

Hi Terri... I say Boston as I have been there, But my fiancee is in Westfield Ma about 18 miles north of Hartford. That is where I fly into always. Actually coming down in less than 4 weeks. You are in a great place. We checked out wedding venues at Waters Edge Resort and Spa. Beach wedding we hope. Again thanks. I just felt Montreal was easier to get to as my mom lives in London Ont and its a quick drive to Montreal from there. If you think of anything I will need let me know but as things roll on I might try getting some advise again. Thank you Cannuck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.