VeeNDee

Vaccine Questions

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone. I was hoping some of you would have knowledge about my vaccine questions. I am trying to think ahead and prepare for the medical by getting my vaccinations in order right now. I have a few questions regarding this process.

• I saw on the civil surgeon worksheet mention that a syphilis serologic test was required for people aged 15 and older. Is this a test that I need to or can get done ahead of time? Will the doctor send me for this test on my medical appointment?
  • Is the Meningococcal vaccination needed for someone aged 30+? Do I get an age exemption or should I get the vaccination? I'd prefer not to get it if possible.
  • I have never had the Hepatitis A vaccinations and they are two doses 6 months apart apparently. If I don't have the second dose by the time of my interview is that ok? I believe I read somewhere that so long as you have had the first dose you are okay until you file for AOS?
  • My last question is about TB. In the past (about 8 years ago) I had a negative TB test (I needed it at the time before starting a medication). Do I need to redo this test again? If so do you know if someone who is immuno-suppressed (I am on medication that does not allow me to get live vaccines) can get the skin test or do they need to get a chest X-ray instead?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give :)

Edited by VeeNDee

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Filed: Timeline

They will take your blood for syphilis test only.

I am 30+, had chickenpox before, did not bring any vaccine record to the medical exam. I took 2 vaccine shots (MMR and ADACEL Tdap) and all the rest are all listed as not suitable for my age.

Hello everyone. I was hoping some of you would have knowledge about my vaccine questions. I am trying to think ahead and prepare for the medical by getting my vaccinations in order right now. I have a few questions regarding this process.

• I saw on the civil surgeon worksheet mention that a syphilis serologic test was required for people aged 15 and older. Is this a test that I need to or can get done ahead of time? Will the doctor send me for this test on my medical appointment?
  • Is the Meningococcal vaccination needed for someone aged 30+? Do I get an age exemption or should I get the vaccination? I'd prefer not to get it if possible.
  • I have never had the Hepatitis A vaccinations and they are two doses 6 months apart apparently. If I don't have the second dose by the time of my interview is that ok? I believe I read somewhere that so long as you have had the first dose you are okay until you file for AOS?
  • My last question is about TB. In the past (about 8 years ago) I had a negative TB test (I needed it at the time before starting a medication). Do I need to redo this test again? If so do you know if someone who is immuno-suppressed (I am on medication that does not allow me to get live vaccines) can get the skin test or do they need to get a chest X-ray instead?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I had my exam done, less than a month ago. Everything was fine.

Thats right, they do the syphilis test there.

I am still taking hepatitis shots, one more shot left. I also took Adacel too just to update my vaccine card.

or chickenpox, i didnt have in my records, so the doctor was holding my results till I bring proof of my immunization which i did the same. And got my exam back a couple of days later. thats good you are looking for all this before.

Good luck!

Cam & Ellie

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you can get the vacs done ahead of ur physical, you are far better in doing that!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Meningicoccal is only for 18 year olds I believe. Everyone does an x ray to test for TB. The website panelphysicians.com has information on what vaccines are required for each age group.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks everyone for your replies! Very helpful so far! :) Glad I don't have to worry about the syphilis test till I get there -one less thing to prepare for. I'm glad I can skip the meningitis one. I'll ask my doctor about a TB chest x-ray (public health said I could get a skin test but I think with my immune system I'd rather just get an X-ray and not risk it). X-rays are probably more definitive anyway I imagine.

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

They will do the xray at the medical. No need to do it in advance.

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Montreal, Canada

9/19/11: I-129F Sent

9/22/11: I-129F NOA1

2/8/12: I-129F RFE

3/5/12: I-129F RFE Reply Sent

(RFE details can be found here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/365210-rfe-primary-vs-secondary-evidence-feed-back-please/)

3/14/12: I-129F NOA2 (Approved!)

3/20/12: NVC Received Petition

3/29/12: Petition Left NVC

4/19/12: Consulate Received Petition

4/30/12: Packet 3 Notification Received by Petitioner in US

5/11/12: Packet 3 Received by Beneficiary in Canada

5/28/12: Packet 3 Returned via DHL

6/5/12: Packet 3 Received by Consulate, said they'd emailed Packet 4 (haven't received)

8/2/12: Consulate Interview at Montreal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm on my phone so I can't see your case details, but in Toronto a verbal declaration of having had chicken pox is all you need. They arrange the chest x-ray for you; it's done the same day.

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.