FrostyMist

Travel abroad whilst applying for I-751?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'll be due to file I-751 in July, and am currently in the process of gathering together evidence.

I was a little surprised by how long it seems to be taking for USCIS to process applications. My question is probably a bit stupid, but I wanted to check with those that are likely to have more knowledge of the process than I do --- will I be able to travel to England to visit my family whilst my application is being processed? I intend to travel in July 2013, (my greencard will have expired long ago by then) and looking at the processing times, I'm concerned that it looks like there's a chance my application might not be completed by the date I want to travel.

I read something about getting an NOA, which will give us "notice of extension for 1 year". Would this be what I'd need to take with me if I left the country? I'd rather not visit England at all if there is any chance at all that I will have a problem getting back in when I return. My family are going to be gutted if I tell then I can't visit them, and I will be too. So I hope there's an easy answer to this one.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I'll be due to file I-751 in July, and am currently in the process of gathering together evidence.

I was a little surprised by how long it seems to be taking for USCIS to process applications. My question is probably a bit stupid, but I wanted to check with those that are likely to have more knowledge of the process than I do --- will I be able to travel to England to visit my family whilst my application is being processed? I intend to travel in July 2013, (my greencard will have expired long ago by then) and looking at the processing times, I'm concerned that it looks like there's a chance my application might not be completed by the date I want to travel.

I read something about getting an NOA, which will give us "notice of extension for 1 year". Would this be what I'd need to take with me if I left the country? I'd rather not visit England at all if there is any chance at all that I will have a problem getting back in when I return. My family are going to be gutted if I tell then I can't visit them, and I will be too. So I hope there's an easy answer to this one.

Yes....BUT

The NOA1 is an extension of 1 year of your green card and you can most certainly use it for returning, we did several times. Both from Ukraine and from Canada many times.

BUT you will also be receiving a biometrics appointment and you do not want to miss that. I suggest that as soon as you get the NOA1 you take it to your local office and do a walk in biometrics and then you are good to go.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Thanks to both Gary and Alla, and jkb11 for your replies.

I think I'll be able to submit my application end of July/early August. How long can I expect to wait for a biometrics appointment?

If my understanding is correct, my NOA1 ("extension of green card for 1 year") letter will give me an extension of my green card for one year, as of the date that the NOA1 is issued. Is that correct? Therefore, if I were to get my NOA1 in August 2012, my extension would therefore be until August 2013? In that case, I believe I will have a problem if I want to travel to England in July 2013, as my extension would expire that month. (I would be planning on taking my trip July to August) Am I right? Or does the extension go from when my green-card expires (which is October)? In which case, the extension on my green-card would be October 2012 to October 2013?

Edited by FrostyMist

Timeline

Thanks to both Gary and Alla, and jkb11 for your replies.

I think I'll be able to submit my application end of July/early August. How long can I expect to wait for a biometrics appointment?

If my understanding is correct, my NOA1 ("extension of green card for 1 year") letter will give me an extension of my green card for one year, as of the date that the NOA1 is issued. Is that correct? Therefore, if I were to get my NOA1 in August 2012, my extension would therefore be until August 2013? In that case, I believe I will have a problem if I want to travel to England in July 2013, as my extension would expire that month. (I would be planning on taking my trip July to August) Am I right? Or does the extension go from when my green-card expires (which is October)? In which case, the extension on my green-card would be October 2012 to October 2013?

The extension is from the date the green card expires, NOT the date the letter is issued. Think about that. Are they going to punish you for filing promptly and allow someone that filed at the last minute to have "more time"? What are they "extending" when the green card s not expired yet? The extension will make your card valid until October, 2013.

Biometrics appointments seem to come 1-2 months after you file the petition. Once you have the NOA1/extension letter you can make an appointment at the local office (infor pass) and do the biometrics on a walk in basis.

Gary And Alla

Timeline
The extension is from the date the green card expires, NOT the date the letter is issued. Think about that. Are they going to punish you for filing promptly and allow someone that filed at the last minute to have "more time"? What are they "extending" when the green card s not expired yet? The extension will make your card valid until October, 2013.

Admittedly, it didn't make much sense that the extension would be from the date of the NOA1. However, this is the USCIS we are talking about here, and they do not always make sense!! (I think I also read a post somewhere else from someone who said that the date had been from the date the NOA1 was issued - but their post was confusing and I wasn't quite sure if I had understood correctly.)

Thank you for your clarification on this issue, Gary and Alla. I'm relieved that I should be able to go and visit my family next summer as planned. I will, of course, keep in mind that I'll need to attend my biometrics appointment and make sure to get that sorted out as soon as possible before I make any travel arrangements.

Timeline

Admittedly, it didn't make much sense that the extension would be from the date of the NOA1. However, this is the USCIS we are talking about here, and they do not always make sense!! (I think I also read a post somewhere else from someone who said that the date had been from the date the NOA1 was issued - but their post was confusing and I wasn't quite sure if I had understood correctly.)

Thank you for your clarification on this issue, Gary and Alla. I'm relieved that I should be able to go and visit my family next summer as planned. I will, of course, keep in mind that I'll need to attend my biometrics appointment and make sure to get that sorted out as soon as possible before I make any travel arrangements.

I read that post also and it was based on what they were told by the USCIS misinformation line. I don't doubt they were told that, it is just wrong.

Good luck

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.