RositaL

Sponsoring my family

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I think the US should try out a points-based system; seems to work well for Canada and Australia...and they should target workers with skills that are necessary to the US economy. This will allow highly-qualified workers from around the world to come to the US to work. I would still favor a cap and quotas for this category, but I think it would make things easier for everyone.

I'm in favor of family-based immigration when it comes to spouses and minor children of both USCs and LPRs...I look less favorably on some of the other categories. I'm not prepared to actively push to ban those categories, but I won't be upset if they get rid of them either.

I agree with your idea about point-based system. Surely mother dear is an extremely highly skilled individual. But the thing about the US immigration in Manila, is they're pretty strict when it comes to tourist visa. Dont quite get it. Even if the motives are true and genuine, still most tourist visas are usually denied in the Philippines. For some ungodly reason CO's don't run out of excuses rationalizing that ALL folks who come to see their sons and/or daughters arent coming back to their country of origin. Although there is a hint of truth there, a few others are still faithful doing it the legal way. So therefore the best way to come the United States is to utilize family-based immigration.

I think it's kind of stupid that they won't give them a tourist visa because they're afraid they'll immigrate...but they'll give them an immigrant visa. It's completely retarded. I don't doubt that some people from countries like Mexico and the Philippines immigrate because it's easier than getting a tourist visa.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I want to bring my oldest son to the USA. He will be 23 in Sept. He would have aged out by the time we had our AOS interview. He is unmarried. So if I am reading this right, my American husband can petition for him now? Thanks for any help. Or do I have to wait until I become an American Citizen?

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

I want to bring my oldest son to the USA. He will be 23 in Sept. He would have aged out by the time we had our AOS interview. He is unmarried. So if I am reading this right, my American husband can petition for him now? Thanks for any help. Or do I have to wait until I become an American Citizen?

If your son isn't by your husband, he can't sponsor him.

You as an LPR can sponsor an unmarried child of any age. As a USC you can sponsor married and unmarried adult and minor children.

In order for a relative to sponsor you to immigrate to the United States, they must meet the following criteria:

They must be a citizen or lawful permanent resident of the U.S. and be able to provide documentation providing that status.

They must prove that they can support you at 125% above the mandated poverty line, by filling out an Affidavit of Support

The relatives which may be sponsored as an immigrant vary depending on whether the sponsor is a U.S. Citizen or a lawful permanent resident.

If the sponsor is a U.S. Citizen, they may petition for the following foreign national relatives to immigrate to the U.S:

o

Husband or wife

o

Unmarried child under 21 years of age

o

Unmarried son or daughter over 21

o

Married son or daughter of any age

o

Brother or sister, if the sponsor is at least 21 years old, or

o

Parent, if the sponsor is at least 21 years old.

If the sponsor is a lawful permanent resident, they may petition for the following foreign national relatives to immigrate to the U.S.:

o

Husband or wife, or

o

Unmarried son or daughter of any age.

His preference category when he applies will indicate how long he has to wait:

First preference: Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. Adult means 21 years of age or older.

Second Preference: Spouses of lawful permanent residents, their unmarried children (under twenty-one), and the unmarried sons and daughters of lawful permanent residents.

Third Preference: Married sons and daughters of U.S. Citizens.

Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. Citizens.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

As your adult child he's looking at a while to wait...the wait gets longer if he gets married.

HTH!

I think the US should try out a points-based system; seems to work well for Canada and Australia...and they should target workers with skills that are necessary to the US economy. This will allow highly-qualified workers from around the world to come to the US to work. I would still favor a cap and quotas for this category, but I think it would make things easier for everyone.

I'm in favor of family-based immigration when it comes to spouses and minor children of both USCs and LPRs...I look less favorably on some of the other categories. I'm not prepared to actively push to ban those categories, but I won't be upset if they get rid of them either.

I agree with your idea about point-based system. Surely mother dear is an extremely highly skilled individual. But the thing about the US immigration in Manila, is they're pretty strict when it comes to tourist visa. Dont quite get it. Even if the motives are true and genuine, still most tourist visas are usually denied in the Philippines. For some ungodly reason CO's don't run out of excuses rationalizing that ALL folks who come to see their sons and/or daughters arent coming back to their country of origin. Although there is a hint of truth there, a few others are still faithful doing it the legal way. So therefore the best way to come the United States is to utilize family-based immigration.

I think it's kind of stupid that they won't give them a tourist visa because they're afraid they'll immigrate...but they'll give them an immigrant visa. It's completely retarded. I don't doubt that some people from countries like Mexico and the Philippines immigrate because it's easier than getting a tourist visa.

There are plenty of reasons why folks migrate from our country to this country. But the very obvious reason is seeking for greener pastures. Like for instance a medical doctor in our country, earns annually probably a month's salary of a nurse here. These folks are highly educated indiviuals who qualify to immigrate anyway. Winner situation for uncle sam in economy and work force in healthcare industry. The very valuable asset of our country are the highlyl skilled/professional folks like architects,engineers,nurses,physicians etc... and they are being driven away. Patriotism is fine alright but hello which would you choose, Patriotism or food for the table???

Edited by mavie_77

English isn't my 1st language. If anyone is offended/annoyed because of the way I constructed my sentences/replies/comments/essay etc.., I do apologize. It's a personal opinion based on experiences, and should be taken with maturity and discretion. Written statements do not express emotions or feelings, it makes it more difficult to determine what is being conveyed. It is subjective to one's own interpretation. Read at your own risk. IGNORANT STINKY LOSERS USUALLY GET VERY VERY OFFENDED!!!

There are plenty of reasons why folks migrate from our country to this country. But the very obvious reason is seeking for greener pastures. Like for instance a medical doctor in our country, earns annually probably a month's salary of a nurse here. These folks are highly educated indiviuals who qualify to immigrate anyway. Winner situation for uncle sam in economy and work force in healthcare industry. The very valuable asset of our country are the highlyl skilled/professional folks like architects,engineers,nurses,physicians etc... and they are being driven away. Patriotism is fine alright but hello which would you choose, Patriotism or food for the table???

Yes, I'm aware that people have a variety of reasons for immigrating.

What I am addressing specifically is the fact that it is sometimes easier for people from certain countries to get immigrant visas than it is for them to get tourist visas. I am absolutely certain that a small minority of family members of new USCs or LPRs immigrate to the United States because that's the only way they get to see the family member who emigrated to the USA...since they can't get a tourist visa, because the US government is afraid they'll never leave. I think that's a bizarre situation.

I would appreciate it if people read what I write instead of just assuming (incorrectly) and popping off.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
What I am addressing specifically is the fact that it is sometimes easier for people from certain countries to get immigrant visas than it is for them to get tourist visas. I am absolutely certain that a small minority of family members of new USCs or LPRs immigrate to the United States because that's the only way they get to see the family member who emigrated to the USA...since they can't get a tourist visa, because the US government is afraid they'll never leave. I think that's a bizarre situation.

Just for discussion some of the competing points are:

They may be on the face of it eligible to apply to Immigrate, but until they go through the process it would not be know that they would qualify.

An Immigrant Visa requires an Affidavit of Support, a Visitor Visa does not.

Congress wrote the rules that way. USCIS etc just apply them.

I do not know what the numbers are, must vary significantly by country, but apparently one of the USCIS own Naturalisation questions puts up being able to sponsor family members to immigrate as a main benefit of naturalisation.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.