Tbakke125125

New Moscow rules?

63 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello all,

Just looking forward to NOA2 sometime in the next two months :) I was getting things ready for the interview, and it looks like they finally updated the Moscow embassy website. The website now encourages that the petitioner attend the interview..Has anyone recently interviewed or heard about whether it is necessary for the petitioner to attend the interview? I'd love to see my fiancee again, but it is expensive as you all know.

Thanks alot!

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello all,

Just looking forward to NOA2 sometime in the next two months :) I was getting things ready for the interview, and it looks like they finally updated the Moscow embassy website. The website now encourages that the petitioner attend the interview..Has anyone recently interviewed or heard about whether it is necessary for the petitioner to attend the interview? I'd love to see my fiancee again, but it is expensive as you all know.

Thanks alot!

For my I-130, they REQUIRED I go to the interview... granted this is DCF, but even for DCF they didn't require it before. I'd start saving up some money for flying there again starting now. Also, they really really grilled me and my husband at the interview, and we've been together a long time... I almost cried by the end of it, and now it looks like I can expect either an RFE or a NOID in the mail. It seems like they're becoming a more difficult consulate now for some reason. I'd just prepare.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello all,

Thanks alot!

For my I-130, they REQUIRED I go to the interview... granted this is DCF, but even for DCF they didn't require it before. I'd start saving up some money for flying there again starting now. Also, they really really grilled me and my husband at the interview, and we've been together a long time... I almost cried by the end of it, and now it looks like I can expect either an RFE or a NOID in the mail. It seems like they're becoming a more difficult consulate now for some reason. I'd just prepare.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

DCF requires that the petitioner be living in Russia so it is logical they would require you to appear. Why they never did before makes no sense. DCF also is an extra special benefit. I have found that the more benefit you are receiving (less wait time in your case) the more they scrutinize it. Example...how they handle the 3 year spousal citizenship vs. the 5 year resident citizenship. Alla was grilled about our relationship for the longest of any interview in the process, more than all others combined, despite the fact that she is KNOWN to people at that office. I have heard this is fairly common for the 3 year citizenship. Nothing a legitimate relationship cannot hanlde, but they are going to make sure.

At any rate it is too soon to tell how Moscow handles this change. In some consulates, the "suggestion" for the fiancee to be there is a de facto requirement. Guyaquil in Ecuador being an example of this. At least one petitioner here has been asked by Moscow if he could return for another interview in the past week, though he was not allowed in the first one. I think he was caught in the transition. I do not know yet where that will go.

Kiev has always allowed the US citizen to be present but has never required it and I have never heard of it being a factor, at least not that anyone can say with accuracy.

As always I would encourage the petitioner to be present for the benefit of your fiancee. I went to the interview and was very glad I did, though I doubt it had any affect on the result. I think Alla would have melted like the wicked witch before she got in the door. She was THAT worried.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

DCF requires that the petitioner be living in Russia so it is logical they would require you to appear. Why they never did before makes no sense. DCF also is an extra special benefit. I have found that the more benefit you are receiving (less wait time in your case) the more they scrutinize it. Example...how they handle the 3 year spousal citizenship vs. the 5 year resident citizenship. Alla was grilled about our relationship for the longest of any interview in the process, more than all others combined, despite the fact that she is KNOWN to people at that office. I have heard this is fairly common for the 3 year citizenship. Nothing a legitimate relationship cannot hanlde, but they are going to make sure.

At any rate it is too soon to tell how Moscow handles this change. In some consulates, the "suggestion" for the fiancee to be there is a de facto requirement. Guyaquil in Ecuador being an example of this. At least one petitioner here has been asked by Moscow if he could return for another interview in the past week, though he was not allowed in the first one. I think he was caught in the transition. I do not know yet where that will go.

Kiev has always allowed the US citizen to be present but has never required it and I have never heard of it being a factor, at least not that anyone can say with accuracy.

As always I would encourage the petitioner to be present for the benefit of your fiancee. I went to the interview and was very glad I did, though I doubt it had any affect on the result. I think Alla would have melted like the wicked witch before she got in the door. She was THAT worried.

Yeah, I just informed Sveta yesterday that I would be attending her interview with her. I wish we had known it was going to happen because I fly in 7 weeks to see her and then after I am there for 1 week we are flying to Cyprus for a week of alone time...... My boss will die when I request another week off circa Septemberish......As I told her though, whatever we need to do is exactly what we will do. I think it's a small inconvenience but compared to living life without her, it's easy. Just have to work nights in the truck stop parking lots.....

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

This is an interesting change. I was in Moscow for both my wife's K1 and subsequent K3 interviews and had to cool my heels at the coffee shop across the street. I'd much rather have been able to accompany her. Our Consulate in Moscow didn't allow it.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Heh, as soon as I told her, I saw the smile light up her face... there is no way I can't go now :)

I am glad to see them allowing the USC to attend, I hope it does not mean they are going to become difficult about it.

The "post visa interview party" is NOT to be missed! :P

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Well this is all causing me a bit of stress now. I've just taken a new apartment for us. And when the interview comes I need to fly her from Khabarovsk to Moscow, which is not cheap in the summer. And of course, then from Moscow to here. Money would be veryyyy tight if I need to fly to Moscow as well. Of course, if it means the difference between her getting the visa or not, then I will be there. But I figure with the cost of another tourist visa and my flight, it would be another $2000 on this already expensive journey! Not sure what to think. It will be interesting to hear from recent interviews to see how they go.

Timeline

Well this is all causing me a bit of stress now. I've just taken a new apartment for us. And when the interview comes I need to fly her from Khabarovsk to Moscow, which is not cheap in the summer. And of course, then from Moscow to here. Money would be veryyyy tight if I need to fly to Moscow as well. Of course, if it means the difference between her getting the visa or not, then I will be there. But I figure with the cost of another tourist visa and my flight, it would be another $2000 on this already expensive journey! Not sure what to think. It will be interesting to hear from recent interviews to see how they go.

I hear ya on this and hope its not an issue... I emailed the Embassy to ask about it. Not sure what kind of response I will get. I have already been there 2 times since August, and I was hoping the 3rd time would be to help her move here. 4 Round Trips w/ VISAS + her Interview Flight and Flight here; all in a year's time. Thats kinda tough on the bank account for me. Like you, I will do whatever I need to, but I hope its not required. I was planning to go in about a month after the VISA approval anyway to spend a week with her family and then bring her back with me. Oh well, we will see I guess... Of course, if money and time were no object, I would want nothing more than to be in the interview with her for sure. There would be no doubt about anything with the two of us there. Good Luck to you with everything.

K1 VISA / I129F

Vermont Service Center

Received: 1/19/2012

NOA1: 1/23/2012

Touched: 2/9/2012

NOA2: 7/30/2012

NVC Received: 08/08/2012

NVC Fwd To Consulate: 08/10/2012

Notification From Embassy: 08/27/2012

Interview: 09/25/2012 (Approved)

POE: 10/22/2012

Wedding: 10/26/2012

Timeline

I hear ya on this and hope its not an issue... I emailed the Embassy to ask about it. Not sure what kind of response I will get. I have already been there 2 times since August, and I was hoping the 3rd time would be to help her move here. 4 Round Trips w/ VISAS + her Interview Flight and Flight here; all in a year's time. Thats kinda tough on the bank account for me. Like you, I will do whatever I need to, but I hope its not required. I was planning to go in about a month after the VISA approval anyway to spend a week with her family and then bring her back with me. Oh well, we will see I guess... Of course, if money and time were no object, I would want nothing more than to be in the interview with her for sure. There would be no doubt about anything with the two of us there. Good Luck to you with everything.

I emailed the Embassy too. We'll see what kind of response we get. But I'm more interested to hear from people who are having their interviews. A lot of Embassies say the petitioner is welcome not but needed, when really it means they better be there or else. Moscow has historically been a very easy Embassy, I just hope this isn't changing the tides.

Timeline

I emailed the Embassy too. We'll see what kind of response we get. But I'm more interested to hear from people who are having their interviews. A lot of Embassies say the petitioner is welcome not but needed, when really it means they better be there or else. Moscow has historically been a very easy Embassy, I just hope this isn't changing the tides.

Yeah, I am really glad that it is now an option, but at the same time I view this change with great curiosity and a little bit of concern too!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.