Roke

Q&A. After K-1 approval. Travel

3 posts in this topic

We have a question about the k-1. I'm from PUerto Rico and my fiancé is from Dominican Republic. After he gets the visa, can we travel to New York for the honeymoon??? Is just that the rules says that he can't travel outside of U.S. territories and we were thinking going to U.S. for our honeymoon is that allowed??? :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

We have a question about the k-1. I'm from PUerto Rico and my fiancé is from Dominican Republic. After he gets the visa, can we travel to New York for the honeymoon??? Is just that the rules says that he can't travel outside of U.S. territories and we were thinking going to U.S. for our honeymoon is that allowed??? :)

I read somewhere that we can not travel to Puerto Rico, although it is US territory. So, I don't know about vice versa from Puerto Rico to NY. Read here: http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-enter.html#5.12

5.12)...Is it okay for us to go to the US Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico on our honeymoon without Advance Parole?

A...Maybe not a wise thing to do. Even though these islands are US territories or possessions, you may have to deal with Immigration and Customs to get back to the United States. You might have trouble getting back home if you encounter an insane USCIS (INS) inspector, plus, there are too many opportunities to "technically" leave US jurisdiction (by visiting the adjacent islands, for example). Best to take the honeymoon somewhere in the 50 States, where there is plenty to see and do.

A..Let me make it as clear as it was explained to me and which the regulation bears out: So long as the K-1'er does not depart ("depart" is also defined in the reg.) the US after making a legal entry s/he can travel to any other location which includes the USVI, PR, Guam, Hawaii, and Alaska.

The inspector I spoke to gave clear examples. (My alien fiancée) can enter the US and we can fly directly from the mainland to the USVI. We can go wherever we want on the islands so long as we don't "touch" ground or water not under US jurisdiction. When we leave she shows her K-1 and I-94 to immigration (which shows she legally entered the US) and off we fly directly to the mainland. However, if while we are there (USVI) we decided to take a trip to the British islands then she would be denied re-entry. I know I used "directly" in this example but we could fly "outbound" mainland-PR-USVI and "inbound" USVI-PR-mainland without fear because in this case she never "departs" the US.

Inspectors (both mainland and USVI) told me that this is not an unusual occurrence. They see K-1'ers all the time.

Edited by Klaxi

event.png

• 3 months later...
Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

A..Let me make it as clear as it was explained to me and which the regulation bears out: So long as the K-1'er does not depart ("depart" is also defined in the reg.) the US after making a legal entry s/he can travel to any other location which includes the USVI, PR, Guam, Hawaii, and Alaska.

The inspector I spoke to gave clear examples. (My alien fiancée) can enter the US and we can fly directly from the mainland to the USVI. We can go wherever we want on the islands so long as we don't "touch" ground or water not under US jurisdiction. When we leave she shows her K-1 and I-94 to immigration (which shows she legally entered the US) and off we fly directly to the mainland. However, if while we are there (USVI) we decided to take a trip to the British islands then she would be denied re-entry. I know I used "directly" in this example but we could fly "outbound" mainland-PR-USVI and "inbound" USVI-PR-mainland without fear because in this case she never "departs" the US.

Inspectors (both mainland and USVI) told me that this is not an unusual occurrence. They see K-1'ers all the time.

I just spoke with Customs & border Patrol on the phone and they confirmed this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.