confusing

name difference green card passport

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello and kamusta sa lahat

I am a permanent resident in South Carolina, I am originally from Philippines, my green card will be expired on January 2013 and my Philippine passport will be expired this Nov 2012. When i married my husband I use my middle name from my mother, suppose to be in Philippine passport it should be the father's name, We are planning to visit my relatives in japan. I was planning to renew my passport but i wonder if after I renew it to my married name will give me a problem from traveling.

any body here has the same experience I am going through?

Thanks in advance and God bless.

Is your green card in your married name or your name before you were married?

You can carry your marriage license with you to show it is the same person. Usually we hear about the green card being in the married name and the passport with the maiden name. Where you might run into trouble though is the expiration date in your passport. Usually you're required to have a passport that does not expire in the next 6 months to travel internationally. If you're traveling now, you barely have 6 months, in June and you do not have 6 months. You need to register your marriage with the Philippines Consulate before you can change your passport name to. Hopefully you've completed that step, but it can be completed at the same time as renewing your passport. Just make sure you bring all the requirements they ask for. They also may ask for a copy of any divorce decrees when you register your marriage. Its not in the instructions, but they mailed back to us requesting my divorce decree when we registered our marriage.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

Is your green card in your married name or your name before you were married?

You can carry your marriage license with you to show it is the same person. Usually we hear about the green card being in the married name and the passport with the maiden name. Where you might run into trouble though is the expiration date in your passport. Usually you're required to have a passport that does not expire in the next 6 months to travel internationally. If you're traveling now, you barely have 6 months, in June and you do not have 6 months. You need to register your marriage with the Philippines Consulate before you can change your passport name to. Hopefully you've completed that step, but it can be completed at the same time as renewing your passport. Just make sure you bring all the requirements they ask for. They also may ask for a copy of any divorce decrees when you register your marriage. Its not in the instructions, but they mailed back to us requesting my divorce decree when we registered our marriage.

Thank you very much I appreciate your advice:)

Filed: Timeline

After you report your marriage to the Philippines consulate, then you can your passport renewed. They will change the passport name in the Filipino manner, your father's last name as middle name, and your husband last name as your last name. If that doesn't coincide with the name on your green card, (and the person reviewing your application won't do it your way, as most likely will be the case) you either have to change the name on the green card, or get an Affidavit of One and the Same Person from the consulate. Depending on the airline, they may not let you board on the return flight, unless the ticket, the Filipino passport, and the US green card all have exactly the same name. Be prepared to argue your case, to anyone that will listen, and bring plenty of proof, if you don't have that affidavit!

Timeline

After you report your marriage to the Philippines consulate, then you can your passport renewed. They will change the passport name in the Filipino manner, your father's last name as middle name, and your husband last name as your last name. If that doesn't coincide with the name on your green card, (and the person reviewing your application won't do it your way, as most likely will be the case) you either have to change the name on the green card, or get an Affidavit of One and the Same Person from the consulate. Depending on the airline, they may not let you board on the return flight, unless the ticket, the Filipino passport, and the US green card all have exactly the same name. Be prepared to argue your case, to anyone that will listen, and bring plenty of proof, if you don't have that affidavit!

Thank you for the advice, I have one more question, after I report my marriage, I will renew my passport, how can I request for the affidavit? do I need to ask that before I go to the renewal? because I am from South Carolina and we have to fly to have a personal appearance to DC

Filed: Timeline

Thank you for the advice, I have one more question, after I report my marriage, I will renew my passport, how can I request for the affidavit? do I need to ask that before I go to the renewal? because I am from South Carolina and we have to fly to have a personal appearance to DC

You do it all at the same time, same visit. If you get there early enough, before the Consul arrives, then you can get it back the same day. We spent a few hours waiting for him to show up, and we got out of there around lunch time. The affidavit was around $25. I think we spent $100 total, for the renewal, reporting the marriage, and the affidavit (wife changed the spelling of her first name with the DHS, from Ma_ to Marie). That was four years ago, in San Francisco.

Timeline

You do it all at the same time, same visit. If you get there early enough, before the Consul arrives, then you can get it back the same day. We spent a few hours waiting for him to show up, and we got out of there around lunch time. The affidavit was around $25. I think we spent $100 total, for the renewal, reporting the marriage, and the affidavit (wife changed the spelling of her first name with the DHS, from Ma_ to Marie). That was four years ago, in San Francisco.

thank you so much for this helpful information:)

• 1 year later...
Timeline

Hi! I have similar problem as above, when I report my marriage at the Philippine consulate, they ask me if I want to apply for new passport? So apply a new one under my husband name. Now my passport Is on my married name but my GC still under my maiden . If I'm going to get an affidavit Which consulate should I go?

Thank you... :)

Hi! I have similar problem as above, when I report my marriage at the Philippine consulate, they ask me if I want to apply for new passport? So apply a new one under my husband name. Now my passport Is on my married name but my GC still under my maiden . If I'm going to get an affidavit Which consulate should I go?

Thank you... :)

For a "Certificate of One and the Same Person," I believe you should go to the same Philippines consulate where you got your new passport.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.