Ceezee

F1 status change from j1 within USA, can I go home to visit? HELP!!!!!!!!!

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So I came to the USA on a J1 visa, I was an au pair for a year and then decided to continue my studies and change my status within the USA to go to school. This was done easily and I am now studying.

I have been told the only way to get the actual visa in my passport is to go home and apply for it. I have the summer break coming up, so it would be perfect to do it then. However, I was also told that there is no knowing how long the process of getting the actual visa back home will take, as well as there is a high chance of not be granted the F1 visa in my passport. I have already been accepted and enrolled at school for the whole spring semester and want to continue my studies in the USA in the fall.

I haven't seen my family in over a year, I have already missed the birth of my niece and if I can't go home I will be missing my brothers wedding. Not to mention, my grandmother is getting really old and frail and I am scared I will not be able to see her b4 she passes! The longest I could go home is about two weeks!!

Please if there is anyone that has been in this situation and done it successfully please tell me how, or if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it more than you know!!!

Thank you

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

You will need to apply for an F1 overseas if you leave the US so leave enough time for processing and make your appointment well ahead of time. I would leave yourself at least two weeks from the interview date until your planned return date. If you are having trouble getting an appointment, apply for an expedited appt. Intnl students have a reasonable chance for getting those since their windows for being home are understandably short.

F1's are not so difficult to get if you can prove you have the necessary funds and you are a bona fide student. I would bring copies of your current school transcripts to show you are enrolled and, hopefully, doing well. You should also be prepared to explain how, in spite of your J1 and F1 visas, you plan to return home and use your degree. At the time you apply for an F1, the officer needs to believe that you are likely to return home at the time of application.

There is a risk of not getting the F1, so I would factor that into your decision to go home or not. Good luck with your decision and process.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

One of the first things they asked at my F1 visa interview was how I would pay for school. He also asked if I had family in the US. I said no. He ask and what I would be doing during summer breaks. I said I would be coming home (showed my return ticket back to Indonesia). And that was that!

But when my F1 visa expired 5 years later and I was still going to school, I decided to stay until I finished and did not try to get a new visa. I figured it would be a shame after all that $$ to have to quit part way because of visa denial!

Only you can evaluate the risk and reward of going home or not :)

AOS 05/08/10 - sent05/14/10 - receipt date on NOAs - transferred to National Benefits Center06/14/10 - Biometrics Done - Lawrence, MA (original appt)07/26/10 - Interview - APPROVED!!07/30/10 - Welcome letter rec'd (notice date: 07/26)08/05/10 - Green Card (&EAD) Received! - 2 months and 28 days total!ROC 04/28/12 - ROC package sent05/03/12 - check cashed05/04/12 - NOA1 received - dated 05/01/1206/07/12 - Biometrics done02/07/13 - Approved (status update via text msg)02/14/13 - Ten year Green card receivedNaturalization07/26/13 - eligible (90 day window opened 4/27/13)02/24/14 - N-400 sent to Dallas03/04/14 - Check cashed & case accepted (update via txt & email)03/10/14 - Biometrics appt letter rec'd (scheduled for 03/28/13)03/28/14 - Biometrics done04/01/14 - In line for interview 04/03/14 - Case status change to scheduled for interview04/10/14 - interview letter rec'd 5/13/14 - interview 6/3/14 - in line for oath 6/30/14 - Scheduled for oath

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.