JLH142

AOS & travel back to the UK

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello,

I had my biometrics appointment about two weeks ago now and am hopeful that I'll get a letter for the interview soon!

I would like to go home and visit the UK (as I'm very homesick!) as soon as I get my paper work - fingers crossed.

Given that my green card will be in my married name, my UK passport will still say my maiden name and so how will this work please? Do I just carry all documents with me - i.e passport, marriage liscence and greencard? Also does that mean my plane ticket should be booked in my maiden name as that's what's on my passport and just for returning back to the USA I have my greencard, marriage licence etc. for border control?

Should I go to get my passport changed in the UK? It's not due to expire for another three years. But I would have thought it's best to get everything under one name!

Thank you very much in advance.

Yes, take the passport, GC and marriage certificate with you. Your ticket has to match the name on your passport, so use your maiden name for that. Otherwise, there is no issue. This happens very often, and as long as you have the marriage certificate with you, you'll be fine.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Hello,

I had my biometrics appointment about two weeks ago now and am hopeful that I'll get a letter for the interview soon!

I would like to go home and visit the UK (as I'm very homesick!) as soon as I get my paper work - fingers crossed.

Given that my green card will be in my married name, my UK passport will still say my maiden name and so how will this work please? Do I just carry all documents with me - i.e passport, marriage liscence and greencard? Also does that mean my plane ticket should be booked in my maiden name as that's what's on my passport and just for returning back to the USA I have my greencard, marriage licence etc. for border control?

Should I go to get my passport changed in the UK? It's not due to expire for another three years. But I would have thought it's best to get everything under one name!

Thank you very much in advance.

You've got it figured exactly right. You don't have to renew immediately and can continue like the first trip you will take. If you have time to renew in the UK it's a little cheaper than through the British Embassy in Washington, DC.

In UK £77.50 (3 weeks), £112.50 (one week)

In US $211 plus Courier fee – $33

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.