DC2011

Submitted short form birth certicate rather than long form...Suggestions?

2 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Thank you in advance for your assistance. At the beginning of the month I submitted I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765 to adjust status. I've already received the various I-797C's (NOAs) with notice dates of April 6th and I have my biometric scheduled for about three weeks from now. Notwithstanding the fact that I tripled checked everything, I somehow managed to include a copy of my Ontario short form birth certificate rather than my long form birth certificate. As soon as I realized my mistake I ordered the long form. I received it a few days ago.

My question is this: Should I mail a copy of my long form birth certificate along with a letter explaining the situation to the USCIS office where the NOAs were sent from? I've called NCSC twice now. The first time I was told to make an appointment at my local office and explain the situation to them (my appointment is tentatively scheduled for tomorrow morning). The second time I was told to simply mail in the long form birth certificate and that there was no need to speak to someone in person. They aren't terribly helpful.

I'm currently on OPT. My work authorization expires in 92 days. I know that an RFE can prolong the EAD process (from what I've read online), so I'm trying to be proactive and supplement my file accordingly. I think it is ridiculous that there isn't a way to fix this problem, especially since I already have the additional evidence in my possession.

Any suggestions on what to do? I'm hoping that even if I get an RFE my EAD will be approved in the next three months. I've looked at various timelines and it appears that more likely than not I should be alright. But in general I worry a lot about this process.

Thanks again.

Nothing you can do now but wait for the RFE. If you try to send something before RFE it will just get lost.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.