Vicky and Larry

Issues with Applying for a SSN Card on a K1 Visa/ i94 - Please Help!

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey, all.

Some guidance would be most appreciated on this.

We applied for my Social Security Card about a month ago. We followed the step-by-step guide to the letter: http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn.

We were told that day that it would take two weeks to arrive. We received a letter yesterday (1 month later) stating that:

WE CANNOT ISSUE YOU A SOCIAL SECURITY CARD AT THIS TIME BECAUSE:

The Department of Homeland Security is unable to verify the immigrant document you submitted as evidence of your lawful status. You should contact that agency to clarify your current immigration status. We will not be able to process your social security number request as a K-2 until you visit the immigration office with your marriage certificate and update this information with them. Please visit the SSA office after immigration makes these updates.

Did we do something in the wrong sequence? I am confused?

Thanks!

event.png

event.png

Watied 129days from NOA1 for NOA2

event.png

Medical January 9th 2012.

Interview date received January 25th

Interview February 15th 2012 - APPROVED.

Received Visa's (K1 and K2) February 23rd 2012.

POE February 24th 2012.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We will not be able to process your social security number request as a K-2 until you visit the immigration office with your marriage certificate and update this information with them.

A K-2 would never have a marriage certificate - K-2 visas are given to children. lol....

Its doubtful that you did something wrong looks like THEY did something wrong which is - very common. I would go back to the office with your marriage certificate as it says but also correct them that its not a K-2 but a K-1.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

A K-2 would never have a marriage certificate - K-2 visas are given to children. lol....

Its doubtful that you did something wrong looks like THEY did something wrong which is - very common. I would go back to the office with your marriage certificate as it says but also correct them that its not a K-2 but a K-1.

I am so glad you pointed out that glaring mistake - K2. I didn't even register that! Hmmmmmm. My son is here on a K2, but we knew we could not apply for him yet. We took our marriage certificate changed my name and applied for the SSN in that.

We are going to go back and not leave until they have rectified their mistake. We are taking information with us to help them do their job properly, ha, ha:

https://secure.ssa.g...lnx/0110211420.

What original documents do I need?

Immigration status

To prove your U.S. immigration status, you must show us your current U.S. immigration document, such as Form I-551 (Lawful Permanent Resident Card, Machine Readable Immigrant Visa), I-766 (work permit) or I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record). If you are an F-1 or M-1 student, you also must show us your I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. If you are a J-1 or J-2 exchange visitor, you must show us your DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status.

Work eligibility

In general, only noncitizens who have permission to work from DHS can apply for a Social Security number. For most foreign workers, we only need to see an I-94, Arrival/Departure Record,showing a class of admission permitting work. Some foreign workers must show their work permits from DHS (I-766).

Student: If you are an F-1 student and eligible to work on campus, you must provide a letter from your designated school official that:

• Identifies you;
  • Confirms your current school status; and
  • Identifies your employer and the type of work you are, or will be, doing.

We also need to see evidence of that employment, such as a recent pay slip or a letter from your employer. Your supervisor must sign and date the letter. The letter must describe:

• Your job;
  • Your employment start date;
  • The number of hours you are, or will be, working; and
  • Your supervisor's name and telephone number.

If you are an F-1 student authorized to work in curricular practical training (CPT), you must provide us your Form I-20 with the employment page (page 3) completed and signed by your designated school official.

If you are an F-1 student and have a work permit (Form I-766) from DHS, you must present it.

If you are a J-1 student, student intern or international visitor, you must provide a letter from your sponsor. The letter should be on sponsor letterhead with an original signature that authorizes your employment.

If you do not have permission to work: Lawfully admitted noncitizens can get many benefits and services without a Social Security number. You do not need a number to conduct business with a bank, register for school, apply for educational tests, obtain private health insurance, apply for school lunch programs or apply for subsidized housing. You cannot get a Social Security number for the sole purpose of obtaining a driver’s license.

Government benefits or services: If you do not have permission to work, you may apply for a Social Security number only if:

• A federal law requires you to provide your Social Security number to get a particular benefit or service; or
  • A state or local law requires you to provide your Social Security number to get general assistance benefits that you already have qualified for.

If you need a number to meet these state or local requirements, you must bring us a letter from the government agency. It must be on letterhead stationery (no form letters or photocopies) and:

• Specifically identify you as the applicant;
  • Cite the law requiring you to have a Social Security number;
  • Indicate that you meet all the agency’s requirements, except having the number; and
  • Contain an agency contact name and telephone number.

Taxes: If you need a number for tax purposes and you are not authorized to work in the United States, you can apply for an <a href="http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96287,00.html"> Individual Taxpayer Identification Number from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Visit IRS in person or call the IRS toll-free number, 1-800-TAXFORM (1-800-829-3676), and request Form W-7, Application For An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.

If you are assigned a number for nonwork purposes, you cannot use it to work. If you use it to work, we will inform DHS.

You must present your foreign birth certificate if you have it or can get it within 10 days. If not, we will consider other documents such as your passport or a document issued by DHS as evidence of your age.

Anyone age 12 or older requesting an original Social Security number MUST be interviewed by Social Security. We will ask for evidence to show you do not have a Social Security number. If you lived outside the United States for an extended period, a current or previous passport, school and/or employment records, and any other record that would show long-term residence outside the United States could be used to show you do not have a Social Security number.

Identity

Social Security will ask to see a current DHS document. Acceptable documents include:

• Form I-551 (includes machine-readable immigrant visa) with unexpired foreign passport;
  • I-94 with unexpired foreign passport; or
  • I-766 work permit from DHS.

Thanks for your response and pointing out that K2 blunder to me :-)

Edited by Vicky and Larry

event.png

event.png

event.png

POE February 24th 2012.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hopefully you have better luck with them this time!

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Hopefully you have better luck with them this time!

Fingers and toes crossed. :)

event.png

event.png

event.png

POE February 24th 2012.

We took our marriage certificate changed my name and applied for the SSN in that.

BINGO! That may be the problem. People have so many experiences with the gazillion SS offices, but it seems like getting the K1's SSN in the maiden name and not mentioning the marriage is the smoothest.

They have to find your name exactly as it's entered on the I-94 in the S.A.V.E. database. When the POE officer tears off the top half of the I-94, it is used to log your entry into the US.

So various things could be wrong--

The SS person tried to verify you as Vicky 'Berkman' and not your POE entry name

Sometime after submitting, the maiden and married names put a spanner in the works and they couldn't find a Berkman.

The top of your I-94 fell behing the desk at POE so your entry never got recorded with USCIS

Your handwriting was so poor that they listed you as Vacke

That's about all I have to offer. Ask for a supervisor. You may have to wait on AOS if #3 above happened.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

BINGO! That may be the problem. People have so many experiences with the gazillion SS offices, but it seems like getting the K1's SSN in the maiden name and not mentioning the marriage is the smoothest.

They have to find your name exactly as it's entered on the I-94 in the S.A.V.E. database. When the POE officer tears off the top half of the I-94, it is used to log your entry into the US.

So various things could be wrong--

The SS person tried to verify you as Vicky 'Berkman' and not your POE entry nameSometime after submitting, the maiden and married names put a spanner in the works and they couldn't find a Berkman.The top of your I-94 fell behing the desk at POE so your entry never got recorded with USCISYour handwriting was so poor that they listed you as Vacke

That's about all I have to offer. Ask for a supervisor. You may have to wait on AOS if #3 above happened.

I have read conflicting opinions surrounding the 'married name or maiden name' too, as you outlined. I think some offices just don't have enough exposure or experience with this kind of visa, which is why there are so many posts on this subject. One thing I have also learned from being here is that a BIG country like the U.S that has many states and does not have a unified approach to these things, is that there is not so much consistency - there is less of that in the U.K, although they are not immune to that issue either. It's a mix of things. Now I have come to realize that I can go in and ask the right kinds of questions. I am gonna ask that they look for me on the SAVE database and show me what name they find me under and then perhaps change the application to my maiden name. The letter states a K2 visa, so maybe clarifying that will help move things along?

I will go and see what we can do? :bonk:

Thanks.

event.png

event.png

event.png

POE February 24th 2012.

I think some offices just don't have enough exposure or experience with this kind of visa, which is why there are so many posts on this subject.

I think exactly the same.

One thing I have also learned from being here is that a BIG country like the U.S that has many states and does not have a unified approach to these things, is that there is not so much consistency -

One of the things newcomers don't get their head around is federal vs state government. Many things are left to the state to decide (as long as it's not against a federal law). States rights was an issue that all those colonies wanted to hold on to when they formed the US of A. So marriage, divorce, education, driving, banking, insurance, sales tax, etc are dependent on state laws. However the Social Security Administration is a federal agency and every office should be consistent with any other. I think it boils down to how well trained the worker is and how often they have even seen a K1. And I think the federal agencies like USCIS, SSA, IRS, and DOS don't talk to each other much unless they have to cross paths.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.