jessicaDiana

When should I apply for SSN? before or after married

4 posts in this topic

hi everyone

i just recently moved to the US a couple weeks ago on my k-1 visa to be with my fiance. as far as i know, i should wait a couple weeks to apply for a SSN just to make sure im in the immigration system. I planned on applying for my SSN this weekend, but my fiance told me theres no point because i would have to apply for a new one once we actually got married. My fiance told me not to get a SSN until after we are married, and we plan on getting married within the next 2 months.

what should i do? was my fiance right about that, or should i just go ahead and apply for a SSN now?

Filed: Timeline

hi everyone

i just recently moved to the US a couple weeks ago on my k-1 visa to be with my fiance. as far as i know, i should wait a couple weeks to apply for a SSN just to make sure im in the immigration system. I planned on applying for my SSN this weekend, but my fiance told me theres no point because i would have to apply for a new one once we actually got married. My fiance told me not to get a SSN until after we are married, and we plan on getting married within the next 2 months.

what should i do? was my fiance right about that, or should i just go ahead and apply for a SSN now?

You can get an SSN now, but it will be marked as does not provide authorization to work without further documentation. You aren't authorized to work on a K-1 unless you have an employment authorization document, until you adjust status. If you do have an EAD, it will be valid only as long as your initial authorized stay on your I-94, until you adjust status. Having an SSN may be helpful for getting a driver's license or marriage license in some states, but it doesn't permit you to work.

You do not have to get a new SSN after you are married. However, after you adjust status you can bring your Green Card to the SS office to get a new SS card without the legend. You obviously will be permitted to work as soon as you have the Green Card, so it's not strictly necessary.

Remember you have to get married within 90 days of entry, and you should adjust status as soon as you can if you plan to stay in the U.S.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can apply before you have less than 15 days remaining on your I-94 or AFTER you have received your green card. You can't apply in between.

Having a social security number won't allow you to work (you need EAD to work) but it will allow you to get started in the U.S. You would be surprised how much easier things get once you have your social: open a bank account, get a joint bank account, a driver's license (depending on your state), add your name to utility bills, car insurance, etc. Which, by the way, are proof of bona fide relationship you would provide should you be among the 50% K1 holders who end up having an AOS interview.

Once you are married and have your GC, you can go change your last name should you choose to take your husband's.

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.