BlueRain77

Police Records

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I've seen a few people on here that have received Police Certificates for an records a person may have. What if a person received one that has no record but they know they have been arrested, AND it is really close to the 11 year mark where everything gets wiped?

The plan is to answer yes to being arrested but show the certificate says nothing.

What happens when you enter the US for the first time? Is it going to have to be answered again or is the K-1 Visa going to suffice at the border since the US and Consulate already okayed everything.

Pete (UK) & Sue (US)

June 19: Filed for K-1 Visa

Feb 8: Received K-1 Visa

April 27: Married!!

May 4: AOS & EAD sent off.

July 28: EAD Card Arrives in Mail!

Aug 23: AOS Interview! APPROVED!!

Aug 30: Welcome to America! letter arrived.

Sept 7: Greencard arrived in the mail!

May: Received Notice about Greencard Expiration end of August

July 15: Sent packet in mail!! (FINALLY!!)

July 16: Packet arrives @ CSC 10:52am Signed by V. Semegi

July 24: Received NOA (posted 7/21)

July 30: Received Bio Appt Letter in Mail

August 20 @ 2pm: Biometrics Appt. –

Sept 12: Approved!! Should be getting card within 60 days..

April 22: Mailing N400 Citizenship packet to Phoenix AZ! (about time!)

April 25 10:37am Phoenix USCIS Lockbox. Signed for by F DOMINGUEZ

April 28 NOA (received in mail May 2)

June 7 Biometrics Appt

July 26 8:10am Interview/Test APPROVED!

Jul 26 Oath Ceremony! Pete is now a US Citizen!

ficFm7.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I've seen a few people on here that have received Police Certificates for an records a person may have. What if a person received one that has no record but they know they have been arrested, AND it is really close to the 11 year mark where everything gets wiped?

The plan is to answer yes to being arrested but show the certificate says nothing.

What happens when you enter the US for the first time? Is it going to have to be answered again or is the K-1 Visa going to suffice at the border since the US and Consulate already okayed everything.

A police certificate only shows convictions for most people. It is only quite recently I have noticed when doing checks on people on the Police National Computer that an entry might show a not guilty verdict in court or a matter where a person was charged but the case was dropped before it got to court.

By the way if the 11 year mark you mention refers to the PNC, nothing gets wiped from it, until they are notified by a police officer a person with a record has died or the person would be so old it is not possible they are still alive. The USA does not recognise our Rehabilitation of Offenders Act so there are no such thing spent convictions for visa applicants.

If have been arrested and not charged with a recordable offence and you should not have a PNC record.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Ok so if the Police Report comes back clear then there are no recorded arrests and therefore he has no record? (by the way, it was for a drunk & disorderly...something that seems to be common in a lot of younger people by the look of the cop shows here in England. lol)

Pete (UK) & Sue (US)

June 19: Filed for K-1 Visa

Feb 8: Received K-1 Visa

April 27: Married!!

May 4: AOS & EAD sent off.

July 28: EAD Card Arrives in Mail!

Aug 23: AOS Interview! APPROVED!!

Aug 30: Welcome to America! letter arrived.

Sept 7: Greencard arrived in the mail!

May: Received Notice about Greencard Expiration end of August

July 15: Sent packet in mail!! (FINALLY!!)

July 16: Packet arrives @ CSC 10:52am Signed by V. Semegi

July 24: Received NOA (posted 7/21)

July 30: Received Bio Appt Letter in Mail

August 20 @ 2pm: Biometrics Appt. –

Sept 12: Approved!! Should be getting card within 60 days..

April 22: Mailing N400 Citizenship packet to Phoenix AZ! (about time!)

April 25 10:37am Phoenix USCIS Lockbox. Signed for by F DOMINGUEZ

April 28 NOA (received in mail May 2)

June 7 Biometrics Appt

July 26 8:10am Interview/Test APPROVED!

Jul 26 Oath Ceremony! Pete is now a US Citizen!

ficFm7.png

event.png

Trust me when I say that offences can still be on show 30 years later, even minor ones, i.e. driving with no insurance et.

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Ok so if the Police Report comes back clear then there are no recorded arrests and therefore he has no record? (by the way, it was for a drunk & disorderly...something that seems to be common in a lot of younger people by the look of the cop shows here in England. lol)

They are 2 seperate issues:

1. Provide the police record

2. Provide details of convictions.

One does not have to match the other.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

They are 2 seperate issues:

1. Provide the police record

2. Provide details of convictions.

One does not have to match the other.

i'd like to add my question to the mix here; my fiance has a conviction of canabis possession about 12 years ago---is this going to be a deal-breaker in terms of getting him into the US???

anna

Timeline

Drunk and Disorderly is not a recordable offence so there wouldn't be a record on the PNC.

However if he was arrested for it and went to Court, there would be an entry in the Court records as well as the police possibly having a custody record. I say possibly because if it was so long ago they were using paper custody records they don't have to be kept for more than 6 years so may have been destroyed. If the 6 years are up it is not certain they have been. If the custody record was on a computer that should still be available.

The arrest should be declared to the Embassy with an explanation of what it was. If you do that it will not be a problem, lie about it and if found out major problems.

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

Drunk and Disorderly is not a recordable offence so there wouldn't be a record on the PNC.

However if he was arrested for it and went to Court, there would be an entry in the Court records as well as the police possibly having a custody record. I say possibly because if it was so long ago they were using paper custody records they don't have to be kept for more than 6 years so may have been destroyed. If the 6 years are up it is not certain they have been. If the custody record was on a computer that should still be available.

The arrest should be declared to the Embassy with an explanation of what it was. If you do that it will not be a problem, lie about it and if found out major problems.

Any thoughts on a canabis possession? he was arrested and went to court but was never in custody...this was about 12 years ago...

Timeline
Any thoughts on a canabis possession? he was arrested and went to court but was never in custody...this was about 12 years ago...

If he was convicted he will have a criminal record and it will be on his police certificate.

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

If he was convicted he will have a criminal record and it will be on his police certificate.

he was convicted and fined, but was not held in custody...is this going to be a deal-breaker as far as the embassy is concerned? he was 19 at the time...

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

he was convicted and fined, but was not held in custody...is this going to be a deal-breaker as far as the embassy is concerned? he was 19 at the time...

Hi,

I too would like to know the answer to this as I was convicted of posession of cannabis when I was 17 and again when I was 18 (daft lad). I'm now 31. I pleaded guilty by letter to each offence and was fined both times (£125 and £150 respectively), but that was the limit of the sentence.

Thanks in advance

Carl

Edited by The Vikings

mm/dd/yy

08/05/06: Met at a party in Vegas

12/31/06: Got engaged!

02/28/07: Filed I-129F @ CSC

03/02/07: I-129F received @ CSC

03/12/07: NOA1 received!

05/23/07: Touched!!!

06/01/07: RFE for divorce/death certificates. We've never been married!

06/05/07: RFE response delivered by Fedex to CSC - notarized statement affirming no marriages

06/15/07: No confirmation of receipt of RFE response yet. Assumed lost, resent by regular mail

06/19/07: RFE response received

06/20/07: 2nd RFE - Write "none" under Names of Former Spouse on I129f and return :(

06/26/07: Response to second RFE received

06/29/07: Touched

07/07/07: Touched

07/11/07: Approved NOA2!!!! Finally!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Drug convictions are highly frowned upon by the USA. You may need to apply for waivers at some point.

However, there are people here who are far more knowledgeable about these subjects than I, hopefully they will answer you. If not, I suggest doing a search for "cannabis convictions" first. There have been alot of threads regarding this in the past. If nothing comes up, post your own thread in the K-1 or K-3 (whichever applies to you) forum.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.