3 posts in this topic

As I've got above the threshold in bank accounts back home I need to fill out this form

My question is this

I've got maybe 10 accounts

Some have money in at the end of the tax year so they need to go in

Some had money during the year but at the end of the year were empty, do these need to go in?

Others were empty all year but are still active, do they need to do in?

Edited by ZedbraGuy

event.png

As I've got above the threshold in bank accounts back home I need to fill out this form

My question is this

I've got maybe 10 accounts

Some have money in at the end of the tax year so they need to go in

Some had money during the year but at the end of the year were empty, do these need to go in?

Others were empty all year but are still active, do they need to do in?

It's reporting the highest value at any time during the year so I would think the newly emptied ones at least count the year they had a balance at any point in the year. Don't know about zero balance. Kinda wondering why you or the bank didn't close them.

Some IRS FAQs--

Q. A person owns foreign financial accounts X, Y and Z with maximum account balances of $100, $12,000 and $3,000, respectively. Does the person have to file an FBAR and if so, which accounts must be listed on the FBAR?

A. The FBAR instructions require the filing of the FBAR form “ … if the aggregate value of these financial accounts exceeds $10,000 at any time during the calendar year … ” In this scenario, the person has an FBAR filing obligation because the aggregate value of foreign financial accounts X, Y and Z is $15,100. The person must report foreign financial accounts X, Y and Z on the FBAR even though accounts X and Z have maximum account values below $10,000.

Q. A person owns foreign financial accounts A, B and C with account balances of $3,000, $1,000 and $8,000, respectively. Does the person have to file an FBAR and if so, which accounts must be listed on the FBAR?

A. Even though no single account is over $10,000, because the aggregate value of accounts A, B and C is over $10,000, the person has to file an FBAR and must report foreign financial accounts A, B and C on the FBAR.

Too bad the example didn't include $0 balance.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

• 1 month later...

I'm probably going to put all my accounts on the form just to be sure, I have 11 of them. At present only three have any money in. The banks tend only to close accounts after they have been completely inactive with zero balance for two years.

I've got that to do and my declaration to the Student Loan Company back home and that she have me about up to date on all my paperwork.

Life used to be so much easier, lol

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.