Benjones

N-400 money order - where to write A number?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, I’m helping a friend with their N-400 application. They are sending a Western Union money order. The general information says to write their A-number on the back of a check or money order, but where on the back - anywhere? Alternatively, there is a “Payment For / Account No” line on the front of the money order. Should the A-number go there?

Thanks for any advice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Ok thanks. And leave the "Payment For / Account No" part blank, or maybe write "N-400" there?

We paid my wife's N-400 fees with a personal check. We wrote the A number in the area of the check reserved for the payee's endorsement. In the "For" section on the front of the check we wrote "Application and Biometrics Fees". You should be able to do the same on the money order.

I never understood the logic behind instructing people to write something on the back of a check when the back is specifically for endorsing a check. The DMV does the same thing. I always write whatever is needed on the front memo line, including when I sent the check to USCIS, and I never had a problem.

Filed: Timeline

Thanks. Not much space in the “for” section, so will just write “N-400 applic”. I agree re the (il)logic of writing on the back. Anyway, will do as they say and write the A-number on the back.

Also I note inconsistencies in the official advice given. In one place it states “Department of Homeland Security” and specifies “not DHS”, and in another place it states “U.S. Department of Homeland Security” “not USDHS”. I already filled out the details on the money order with “Department of Homeland Security” before seeing the version of info stating “U.S….”

I also realise a mistake I made. The N-400 states: “Print clearly or type your answers using capital letters. Failure to print clearly may delay your application”. Well, on my wife’s I typed on the PDF but not in capitals, and there was no problem. And I’ve done the same with my friend's. I could spend time re-doing it and then re-priting. Type in capitals? Seems a bit unnecessary. Life is too short. I’m sure they really mean “Print clearly in capitals or type your answers” ?!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.