renatagama

Renewing passport during k1

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

I am new to this website so I'm still a little lost, but I've found lots of useful information here so I already love it. I would like to know if anyone knows what I should do regarding my passport renewal during the k1 visa process.

We received NOA2 a few days ago and we are starting to gather all the documents for the interview. I found out that when I go to the interview at the consulate, my passport needs to be valid for at least 6 more months and mine is good for 5 more right now.

I can renew it, but they will give me a new passport and a new number as well. I will keep the old one but it will be canceled.

What should I do? Will I have any problems having a new passport when I go to the interview with a different #? What about all the other forms we still have to fill out? Should they have my old number or new number? Won't they think it its a problem that the I-29F has the old number and next few forms will have a different one?

Or should I fill out all the remaining paperwork with the same old number and just bring both passports to the interview?

Is this something that could make us have to do it all over again? Please help...we can't bare any more of this horrible wait!

Thanks in advance!

You don't have any of your timeline/profile filled out, so it's difficult to give direct advice for your situation.

However I was in the same position as yourself, and applied for a new passport. I took my new passport and my cancelled one to the interview (Packet 4 docs were all filled out with the new passport details - all other docs (inc police cert) had my old passport number). I was only asked to show my new passport during my interview (London) and had no problems - and if I were to do it again, I would still take both. It pays to cover to all situations. As I understand it - you won't be let into the US without >6 months on your passport anyway, so your going to need a new one anyway.

Good luck

Matthew

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline

Hello,

I am new to this website so I'm still a little lost, but I've found lots of useful information here so I already love it. I would like to know if anyone knows what I should do regarding my passport renewal during the k1 visa process.

We received NOA2 a few days ago and we are starting to gather all the documents for the interview. I found out that when I go to the interview at the consulate, my passport needs to be valid for at least 6 more months and mine is good for 5 more right now.

I can renew it, but they will give me a new passport and a new number as well. I will keep the old one but it will be canceled.

What should I do? Will I have any problems having a new passport when I go to the interview with a different #? What about all the other forms we still have to fill out? Should they have my old number or new number? Won't they think it its a problem that the I-29F has the old number and next few forms will have a different one?

Or should I fill out all the remaining paperwork with the same old number and just bring both passports to the interview?

Is this something that could make us have to do it all over again? Please help...we can't bare any more of this horrible wait!

Thanks in advance!

The only forms that ask for the benificiary's passport numbers is the ones that you apply for k 1 visa at the embassy. You just got your NOA2, so you still have more time, why not get a new passport and then fill out the forms with that new passport numbers. Don't make it seems difficult, not a big matter.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

You don't have any of your timeline/profile filled out, so it's difficult to give direct advice for your situation.

However I was in the same position as yourself, and applied for a new passport. I took my new passport and my cancelled one to the interview (Packet 4 docs were all filled out with the new passport details - all other docs (inc police cert) had my old passport number). I was only asked to show my new passport during my interview (London) and had no problems - and if I were to do it again, I would still take both. It pays to cover to all situations. As I understand it - you won't be let into the US without >6 months on your passport anyway, so your going to need a new one anyway.

Good luck

Matthew

Hi Matthew,

Thank you very much! I thought I had the timelied filled out, tried to do it earlier today but I guess it didn't work. I'm going to update it. So, we send the I-29F on Oct, 29 2011, got NOA1 on Nov, 03 2011 and NOA2 in Apr, 10 2012. I have already filed for a new passport (these things take time in Brazil!) so hopefully I will have it with me by the end of the month.

Would you mind telling me what is packet 3 and packet 4?

Sorry about the timeline and profile info, still learning how to use this website's tools :)

Once again, thank you very much!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline

Hi Matthew,

Thank you very much! I thought I had the timelied filled out, tried to do it earlier today but I guess it didn't work. I'm going to update it. So, we send the I-29F on Oct, 29 2011, got NOA1 on Nov, 03 2011 and NOA2 in Apr, 10 2012. I have already filed for a new passport (these things take time in Brazil!) so hopefully I will have it with me by the end of the month.

Would you mind telling me what is packet 3 and packet 4?

Sorry about the timeline and profile info, still learning how to use this website's tools :)

Once again, thank you very much!

Packet 3 is the instruction with the forms from the embassy which you need to fill out and then return the checklist form with other forms as instructed. Packet 4 is the appointment letter which the embassy schedule the interview date after you have returned them the forms as instructed on Packet 3.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

The only forms that ask for the benificiary's passport numbers is the ones that you apply for k 1 visa at the embassy. You just got your NOA2, so you still have more time, why not get a new passport and then fill out the forms with that new passport numbers. Don't make it seems difficult, not a big matter.

You're right! For some reason I thought I had used my passport # on the previous forms but I just looked at the I-29F and G-355a and they didnt require this number...so I guess they won't even know I changed passports, right?!

Took care of it this morning, getting my new passport next week.

Woah, what a relief. We waited 5 months and 2 weeks for the NOA2, anything that could delay things at this point is scary as hell.

Thank you!

Packet 3 is the instruction with the forms from the embassy which you need to fill out and then return the checklist form with other forms as instructed. Packet 4 is the appointment letter which the embassy schedule the interview date after you have returned them the forms as instructed on Packet 3.

Oh, good. Thanks for explaining. You are right, I am getting my new passport next week and taking both with me for the interview. It's really great to know this won't be a problem for us.

Thanks a lot!

I just got my new passport today, and was wondering the same thing.

Glad it's all good.

No worries :)

Happy Journeys!

kicking.gif

XYlOm10.pngGSPYm10.png
AOS: 2012-12-28
NOA's x 2: 2012-01-04
Bio App: 2012-02-05 (Honolulu, HAWAII)
Upcoming AOS Interview (March 21) RESCHEDULED between March 28 - June 6
EAD/AP combo card: 2013-03-15
AOS interview: APRIL 16th approved
Green Card: April 25th 2013 - 2015

ROC: 2015-Jan-20
NOA: 2015-Jan-27

BIO Appt: 2015-Feb-24

Approved: 2015-May-26

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.