beetee4ever

Help please, have to change Greencard

10 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me with this. It's about changing a CR-1 to IR-1 when the visa says CR-1 and you've been married for over 2 yrs. :help:

I already knew that I might have a problem with this, since my immigrant visa said CR-1..which was okay, since we had been married less than 2 yrs, when we started this process, but it still said CR-1 the day I recieved my Visa, and it was past our 2nd wedding anniversary.

The day I entered the US I had been married for over 2 yrs, which would automatically give me an IR-1 right?! At POE I asked the officer and made him aware of this fact, told him that it should be an IR-1 and not CR-1 as the Visa says, but he was very rude and told me that I had to remove the condition myself and change it to IR-1 etc etc. He, for sure wasn't going to do anything that day.

Well, I have been looking around and found that I have to file an I-90

(description of I-90 below)

If you are filing because your card was issued with incorrect data due to USCIS administrative error, you must mail a new I-90 application using Application Reason "d" My card was issued with incorrect information because of a USCIS administrative error, and any supporting documentation, to the USCIS Service Center/National Benefits Center (NBC) that processed your previously filed I-90 application. For the Service Center/ NBC mailing address, please refer to the letter that came with your I-551 card, also known as "Green Card". This letter provides the address for the Service Center/NBC that processed your previously filed I-90 application. The Service Center/NBC address can also be found on the I-797 "Notice of Action" issued for the previously filed I-90 application. In addition to the new I-90 application, applicants are required to send the original I-551 card containing incorrect information, and documentation that supports the requested correction. I-90 applications submitted with Application Reason "d" do not require the $70 biometrics fee or the base application fee.

Service Center/NBC Mailing Addresses

California Service Center

Attn: I-90 "b" and "d"

P.O. Box 10090

Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-1009

National Benefits Center

Attn: I-551 Corrections

705B SE Melody Lane, Box 2000

Lee's Summit, MO 64063

Nebraska Service Center

P.O. Box 87090

Lincoln, NE 68501-7090

Texas Service Center

P.O. Box 851983

Mesquite, TX 75185-1983

Vermont Service Center

75 Lower Welden Street

St. Albans, VT 05479-0001

Does this mean that I have to wait till I recieve the GC before changing it?? and that I have to send it back to them? And which of those addresses should I use?? It's all so confusing at the moment.... I have no idea whether to wait or to act as soon as possible :help:

Timeline:

January 27 2006: submitted and approved I-130 in Copenhagen, Denmark

March 23 2006: Interview, submitted I-601 waiver

May 2 2006: London recieves waiver

August 21 2006: waiver approved woo hoo

October 3 2006: arrived in the US

And-I-Go-WEEEE.jpgBear.gif

Make an infopass appointment at your local office and ask them to check your status.... if it is wrong then they will advise you as to what they want you to do next....

Kezzie

Thanks for your help, but I'm totally stupid when it comes to this. Where do I find out where my local office is?? I'm in Los Angeles :help:

Timeline:

Filed: Timeline

beetee4ever,

USCIS web site?

Yodrak

Make an infopass appointment at your local office and ask them to check your status.... if it is wrong then they will advise you as to what they want you to do next....

Kezzie

Thanks for your help, but I'm totally stupid when it comes to this. Where do I find out where my local office is?? I'm in Los Angeles

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you go to the USCIS.gov website, on the top right you will see a link to InfoPass Appointment Scheduler, and that will lead you through the process.

Sandy.

beetee4ever,

USCIS web site?

Yodrak

Kezzie

Thanks for your help, but I'm totally stupid when it comes to this. Where do I find out where my local office is?? I'm in Los Angeles

Sandy

Michael's I-130:

NOA1: 5-10-2006----updated w/ citizenship: 9-25-06----had to call back 10/25, touch 10/26

12/06/06 - Approved!- - - 12/08/06 - Touch---01/25/07 - Touch

I130 at NVC

12/14/06 - case number assigned

12/25/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed (phone system updated 12/27)

12/27/06 - emailed choice of agent; 12/29/06 - received email from NVC confirming choice of agent!

01/01/07 - NVC generated IV Fee Bill (postmarked 1/17 though!)

01/03/07 - returned AoS Fee Bill via Priority Mail (James' shortcut)

01/15/07 - NVC generated AOS package

01/22/07 - received IV Fee Bill - overnighted back to NVC same day

01/27/07 - recieved I864 package; 01/29/07 - overnighted I864 to NVC

01/29/07 - DS230 generated (phone system not updated, email response 2/5/07)

02/05/07 - mailed DS-230 to NVC via express mail

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE!!

04/18/07 - INTERVIEW!!!! - APPROVED!!!!

Michael's K-3:

09/28/06 - NOA1

1/25/07 - approved ...NOA2 via snail mail - 1/29/07

03/16/07 - chose not to return packet 3 to Montreal

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

After you do your research on this, decide if the hassle involved is worth $205 or more, the current filing fee for I-751.

Also see threads on the topic by Cndnwmn in the I-751 forum.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

After you do your research on this, decide if the hassle involved is worth $205 or more, the current filing fee for I-751.

Also see threads on the topic by Cndnwmn in the I-751 forum.

Hmm, not sure if I understand that about the fee's. It says on the uscis.gov page that the fee's for I-90 is : If you are filing for the following reasons, the base application fee of $190 and the biometrics fee of $70 are required. Total filing fee = $260.

but I dont have to pay a fee at all if it'sI-90 applications submitted with Application Reason "d" do not require the $70 biometrics fee or the base application fee.

>>

If you are filing because your card was issued with incorrect data due to USCIS administrative error, you must mail a new I-90 application using Application Reason "d" My card was issued with incorrect information because of a USCIS administrative error, and any supporting documentation, to the USCIS Service Center/National Benefits Center (NBC) that processed your previously filed I-90 application.

I'm a bit confused, and it could be that I read it wrong and I do have to pay a fee...OMG :blink: !! I hope not ...... sux.

Timeline:

Okies, found it :D

Thanks for the help you guys :thumbs:

Timeline:

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I'm a bit confused, and it could be that I read it wrong and I do have to pay a fee...OMG :blink: !! I hope not ...... sux.

beetee4ever, I was commenting on the observation that it takes about a year to get a Green Card corrected.

The fee for filing the I-751 to remove conditions is $205. That is the most painful part of filing that form.

If you did so, you might find, as Margaret did, that they won't take it becasue you should be IR-1--hers was corrected at that point.

First/best thing to do is to go to your District Office and ask their opinion, then measure it all up. You will not be in trouble for having the wrong status on your card as long as you do the Right Thing in 2 years.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

'beetee4ever'

Why did not you contact the embassy/consulate that issued your visa right away when you found out that it was CR1, not IR1? It seems to me that it is mainly the embassy's mistake. And the immigration officers at that POE did not correct someone else's mistake.

It is interesting how these people work. They give 10 year PR cards to CR1 visa holders and 2 year to IR1... It is dumb.

I am now a US citizen.

t1283610_made-in-china-american-flag.jpg

pride_logo_275px.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.