Bouhaliya

Applying for B2 for spouse being sponsored for CR-1

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm a US citizen, living in Canada with my Tunisian husband, who is also a permanent resident of Canada.

I'm currently in the process of sponsoring my husband for a CR-1 visa to immigrate to the US. We're early on in the application process and don't expect for him to be able to move with me to the US until spring 2013. With that being said, I'm bringing him to meet my family for the first time this summer and we need to get him a B2 visa. Of course, we indicated that he's being sponsored for an immigrant visa on our B2 application. But I imagine during his interview they're going to want to see some additional "proofs" from him to make sure that he won't be using the visitor visa to illegally live in the US before his greed card comes through.

SO, what I'm wondering is what should he bring to satisfy the embassy that he really is just coming to visit this summer? He's currently doing a postdoctoral fellowship that will employ him through February 2013, so I've told him he should bring whatever documents he has showing that he has ties here in Canada. He's also bringing bank statements showing 1) that he's on University payroll (confirming his work status here) and 2) that he has the funds to visit the US.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else he can bring that will prove that he has ties here. Anyone else been in a similar situation, and can anyone think of anything else we should bring to his interview on Friday? Also, do y'all think he should bring copies of official correspondences we've received from his CR-1 application (mainly, the NOA1)?

Many thanks in advance!

Also, it might be pertinent to add that my husband is currently applying for Canadian citizenship. He does not plan on joining me in the US until his citizenship is approved, which may be as late as summer/fall 2013. I don't know if this will be helpful information to offer during his interview, or if we should avoid mentioning it (unless directly asked, of course).

Hi everyone,

I'm a US citizen, living in Canada with my Tunisian husband, who is also a permanent resident of Canada.

I'm currently in the process of sponsoring my husband for a CR-1 visa to immigrate to the US. We're early on in the application process and don't expect for him to be able to move with me to the US until spring 2013. With that being said, I'm bringing him to meet my family for the first time this summer and we need to get him a B2 visa. Of course, we indicated that he's being sponsored for an immigrant visa on our B2 application. But I imagine during his interview they're going to want to see some additional "proofs" from him to make sure that he won't be using the visitor visa to illegally live in the US before his greed card comes through.

SO, what I'm wondering is what should he bring to satisfy the embassy that he really is just coming to visit this summer? He's currently doing a postdoctoral fellowship that will employ him through February 2013, so I've told him he should bring whatever documents he has showing that he has ties here in Canada. He's also bringing bank statements showing 1) that he's on University payroll (confirming his work status here) and 2) that he has the funds to visit the US.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else he can bring that will prove that he has ties here. Anyone else been in a similar situation, and can anyone think of anything else we should bring to his interview on Friday? Also, do y'all think he should bring copies of official correspondences we've received from his CR-1 application (mainly, the NOA1)?

Many thanks in advance!

Filed: Timeline

You sound like you have good evidence that might have convinced the CO to say yes in most situations. But with a CR-1 in the works, a B-2 is nearly impossible.

However, not applying at all is a 100% no.

Gather up all the evidence you can muster, and try for it. But expect a no.

Alternatively, wait until he is naturalized in Canada and then enter US visa-free. There still might be some explaining to do at the border, but it could be easier than obtaining a B-2 visa for a Tunisian national

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.