A&M-Forever

Any N-600 filers? US Citizenship for my Filipina Stepdaughter

9 posts in this topic

Greetings all!

I'm still a ways out from applying, I'm just trying to get my ducks all in a row as best that I can.

My Filipina wife is a LPR currently. She will be able to apply for US Citizenship/Naturalization in 2015 (like I said...I'm a ways out still :) )

Once she (my wife) becomes a US Citizen, what do we need to do to get Citizenship for my 5 year old stepdaughter (she will be 7 at that time)?

Do we need to file Form N-600 Application for Certificate of Citizenship?

How did you go about getting your Filipina Stepdaughter(s)/son(s) to become Naturalized US Citizens?

Thank you for your time!

Edited by A&M-Forever

Once your wife will become a US Citizen. You will have to file N-600 for her daughter to get her citizenship.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Personally,,, I did not,,, waste money on the N600... Just file for a US passport(once the spouse obtains her citizenship).

It is cheaper and easier, and more widely accepted as absolute proof of US citizenship.

Regards,

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Personally,,, I did not,,, waste money on the N600... Just file for a US passport(once the spouse obtains her citizenship).

It is cheaper and easier, and more widely accepted as absolute proof of US citizenship.

Regards,

Regarding your stepdaughter, once your wife naturalizes and becomes a US citizen, she can petition her daughter using the I-130 under the IR2 category. Your stepdaughter is not eligible for U.S. citizenship via birth and citizenship is not conferred on your stepdaughter when her mother naturalizes because the mother was not a citizen at the time the child is born. So you still have to go through the immigration process. Luckily, under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000, your stepdaughter will become a citizen immediately upon entry to the U.S. and THEN she can apply for a passport using the traveled on visa and immigration entry stamp as proof of citizenship. If you wish, your stepdaughter can obtain a certificate of citizenship from USCIS, but it is costly and not necessary for obtaining a passport.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

You never said if the step-daughter is also in the US as a LPR.

If she is then once your wife has her naturalization certificate simply use that and her birth certificate to get your step-daughter a US Passport as that is proof of Citizenship.

If the child isn't in the US then you need to immigrate her to the US with an IR-2 Visa and do as I already said.

Just file for a US passport(once the spouse obtains her citizenship).

If she is then once your wife has her naturalization certificate simply use that and her birth certificate to get your step-daughter a US Passport as that is proof of Citizenship.

:thumbs: This would be the route I would take, IMHO.

NATURALIZATION
02/15/13 - Mailed N-400
02/19/13 - Received by Phoenix Lockbox (day 01)
02/21/13 - NOA1 issued (day 03)

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS (WIFE)
02/18/12 - Eligible for Removal of Conditions on Residence
03/23/12 - Mailed I-751 to CSC
03/26/12 - Received by CSC (day 01)
03/31/12 - Received NOA1 (day 06)
05/02/12 - Biometrics done (day 38)
10/23/12 - Received approval email (day 212)
11/01/12 - Received green card (day 221)

IR-2 (STEPDAUGHTER)
06/01/10 - Mailed I-130 petition
06/03/10 - Package delivered to USCIS (day 01)
06/08/10 - NOA1 issued (day 06)
11/03/10 - Received approval email (day 154)
11/08/10 - Received approval notice in mail (day 159)

NATIONAL VISA CENTER (STEPDAUGHTER)
11/08/10 - NVC received case from USCIS
11/09/10 - NVC case # & IIN generated, email addresses given, DS-3032 sent via email & USPS (day 01)
11/16/10 - Received and paid AOS bill (day 08)
11/17/10 - AOS bill marked as PAID; AOS packet express mailed (day 09)
11/19/10 - Received and paid IV bill; DS-3032 accepted (day 11)
11/22/10 - IV bill marked as PAID; IV packet express mailed (day 14)
12/03/10 - Sign-in failed (day 25)
12/09/10 - INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR JANUARY 10, 2011 @ 6:45AM
12/28/10 - Medical exam done at SLEC Manila - PASSED! (day 40)
01/10/11 - Interview at USEM Manila - APPROVED! (day 53)
01/21/11 - Stepdaughter received passport with IR-2 visa! (day 64)

• 4 weeks later...

Regards,

question;

I just had my citizenship interview today and passed it, I still dont know when my oath date will be but I asked about my kids ( I have 3) officer said I should file for n600 for each of them once I got my oath certificate but I did not know it will cost me $ 600/each, how can I get them a US passport each if I dont have a certificate to show that?

thanks

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

question;

I just had my citizenship interview today and passed it, I still dont know when my oath date will be but I asked about my kids ( I have 3) officer said I should file for n600 for each of them once I got my oath certificate but I did not know it will cost me $ 600/each, how can I get them a US passport each if I dont have a certificate to show that?

thanks

When parents become naturalized U.S. citizens, their minor children with green cards gain U.S. citizenship automatically. (Children under the age of 18 cannot normally apply to become naturalized U.S. citizens.) Once you got your Naturalization certificate, you will have to apply for a US passport together with your minor children who currently live here as a Permanent Resident.

IV IR-5 Timeline for Parents

USCIS

08/02/2016 - sent I-130 application for my parents via USPS Priority Mail

08/05/2016 - Priority Date

08/08/2016 - NOA1s Notice date

08/09/2016 - NOA1s text message and email received

08/10/2016 - money orders: cashed

08/13/2016 - received NOA1s in the mail

08/24/2016 - touched

12/27/2016 - Cases Approved! (148 days or 4 months and 26 days total)

---

NVC

01/12/2017 - NVC Welcome Letters Received (Case Number + Invoice Number)

01/13/2017 - Completed DS-261

01/25/2017 - Received IV Fee

01/26/2017 - Paid AOS fee

01/30/2017 - Paid IV Fees

02/03/2017 - Completed IV and AR Application

02/23/2017 - sent NVC packets via USPS Priority Mail (note: I have to wait for my mom's police certificate, so there was a bit of a delay before I can send the package)

02/27/2017 - packets received at 11:30 am signed by N Visa Center

03/01/2017 - Scan Date

05/06/2017 - Case Completed

05/12/2017 - NVC scheduled the interview!

06/02/2017 - Medical (06/14 to 06/15 - Dad's Sputum Test)

06/16/2017 - Mom's Interview Date (Approved!)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.