canada_socks

Names not matching on SSN and Green Card

4 posts in this topic

I went down to the SSA office to change my last name on my Social Security card. I was informed that my name on my green card does not match my SSN. My green card states Firstname M. Lastname (M being my middle initial). On all of my immigration forms I put my full middle name (which is May), in the middle name spot on the applications. When I got my SSN the first time, the guy got upset with me stating that I don't have a middle name, and that I shouldn't put May as that, when it is part of my first name. Well that was news to me! As far as I was aware, and my mom (because I asked her that night), I do have a middle name, and only ONE first name. I guess the way it is on my passport states Firstname May, Lastname. So, I don't know what the heck happened!

They sent my info to homeland security for review. They said I should hear in 3-4 weeks. Has this happened to anyone else? I did a search but found mostly people who lived here before, or came on different visa (work related) then got married and wanted to change their name.

As far as I am aware, my green card is correct. I looked at my long form birth certificate and there is no spot for middle name, just "Given Names", and my mom put Firstname May (with an obvious space between the two). I am also worried about travelling...I am heading up to Canada in 3 weeks for a month, and was told this could take up to 4 weeks to resolve. Would it be my SSN that would be changing to match the name on my green card, or the other way around? I don't want to find out on the way back to the USA that my green card no longer matches their system.

(I did post this in another forum without the green card question, Mods, feel free to delete the previous topic if you wish).

Edited by sherrybaby

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

Also, how does that work for taxes? My husband just got his W2 last week and plans to file this week. I am concerned because since they don't know what my name is, how can my husband include me on his taxes with that number? Does he just put my maiden name??

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

anybody?

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

Filed: Other Timeline

Your Green Card is the master document for everything as long as you are a foreigner in this country. You can have the SS card changed if there's an error on it that is correct on the Green Card, but if your Green Card has an error, only a new Green Card will correct this.

Traveling has nothing to do with a SS card. I have not shown my SS card to anybody since 1991. You will never have to show it, which means it means nothing. But if you like, you have a right to have that corrected.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.