howdiedudie

Advice for K1 Interview Manila - Police Clearance

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

We had our interview on March 29th, and fortunately we passed. The only thing we are waiting for is a Macau Police Clearance, which so far the US Embassy has not received and it has been over 2 weeks. Apply early for those clearances!!!

But in regards to the interview, we tried to pass in Manila with assets and a co-sponsor. Assets totaled 80,000 USD, with some slight income of around 10k per year.

The immigration officer first stated under no circumstances will he accept a co-sponsor, even considering continuation of college upon arrival to the USA. That threw plan B out the window. He then proceeded to say there are no signs of sustained income and he cannot pass any case with just assets. So it seemed we were screwed. He then said ok let's try something else...

Most questions were addressed to me, the US Citizen, which I was not prepared for (I figured visa interviews would mostly be questions for the beneficiary). The only thing that saved us is that my fiance had worked for a US company before, and he asked if she could work there when we got to the US. Fortunately she would be able to work in that position (Skilled work) and we told him how much the salary would be. He then told us ok, you guys seem like you will make it.

Lessons learned:

- It matters if your fiance can work or not, and what positions he/she has had in the past, this can save you!!

- The petitioner must be at the interview if you have any doubts.

- We dressed really well, made us stand out and I am sure it helped.

- Assets even if they are enough, might not be considered at all. SUSTAINED income is a must, the Immigration Officer kept repeating this phrase.

- Do not even think a co-sponsor will work. We had the ideal situation for a co-sponsor and it still was not accepted.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you for this great info!! by the way, you are saying they would also consider the employability of the beneficiary? that's awesome you passed the interview :) Good luck and have a safe trip. :) if I'm not mistaken, you went with your fiance during her interview at US embassy Manila? I would love to have my fiance with me during my interview...

event.png

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think because your Fiancee had worked for the US company before and could work there in the future made your case unique for being approved.

I was at the interview with my Fiancee and both the Filipino interviewer and the CO asked me a variety of questions, and yes it seemed they asked me more questions then my Fiancee. Some questions to my Fiancee seemed very scripted like they asked her what I do for a living (and they already know I am retired), then with the next question they ask what I do with my spare time.

Glad you got approved (soon as they get the police clearance) :thumbs:

Edited by Hank_Amy

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for the recent update! I have a few questions! Why did you need police clearance? Wasn't the NBI clearance enough? My fiance has her interview on April 24th! She is suppose to get your medical results and vaccination on April 18th. What do you think proper dress is nice blouse and slacks?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for the recent update! I have a few questions! Why did you need police clearance? Wasn't the NBI clearance enough? My fiance has her interview on April 24th! She is suppose to get your medical results and vaccination on April 18th. What do you think proper dress is nice blouse and slacks?

Police clearance is for those that have worked in a foreign country, they need a police clearance from that country.

Nice blouse and slacks is just fine, my Fiancee wore jeans and a nice blouse.

As for the medical you should be okay, if St. Luke's feels they need to they will have your Fiancee hand carry the medical records. My Fiancee did her medical the week before her interview and all went fine.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.