Ellesse

Making changes to Social Security card

6 posts in this topic

Hi there

I wondered if someone could give me some advice/share experiences about an issue I'm having.

I have my social security card which is currently in my maiden name (as I worked in the US over 10 years ago). I initially went in to the local SSA office after I got marred in October to change it, and was told then that I couldn't change it until I had my green card in my hand (although I know others have been able to make changes at this point with no problem). Because it wasn't a problem then (as I wasn't working/looking for work), I left it and decided to update it when my green card arrived.

Well, I got my green card a few weeks ago so went into the SSA office to request a change - they put everything into their system but apparently DHS wouldn't clear it, and they informed me they would check the status every day and that it should clear quite quickly. However, I've called them today and it's STILL pending with no idea when it will be resolved, meaning I'm currently stuck with a card that has my maiden name and therefore doesn't match my green card. The lady I spoke to said that, if this doesn't go through on Monday, they'll have to send it to Buffalo but this could take 30-60 days, and is very difficult to track. I wondered: has anyone else had the same problem? And, if so, was there any other way around it? I really don't want to have to wait another 2 months - it's aleady caused me a few issues when I'm applying for jobs because of the mismatch.

Any ideas?

Thanks

L

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem. I made a infopass at USCIS and told them what happened at SSA. I had my GC , marriage certificate and old SSN card with me. The lady there made a request to have my name changed in the system and told me it will be changed in 2 days. It took much longer than 2 days (about a month) but it finally went through. I went to SSA again and applied for the name change on the card and i got the SSN card in my new name in the mail.

mGDboiw.jpgmGDbm4.png

zzflag019.gif united-states-flag.gif

03/31/2010 filed I129

12/16/2010 Interwiew-Approved

02/07/2011 POE-Chicago

03/16/2011 Wedding!!!

05/23/2011 AOS,EAD,AP apps sent

07/15/2011 EAD, AP approved

10/05/2011 AOS approved

Thanks for the reply - I'm waiting for SSA to process a name change, which they said could take about a month, so I guess I'll need to wait for that to happen.

If I don't hear anything in the next few weeks, then I'll make an InfoPass (thanks for that suggestion!)

L

Thanks for the reply - I'm waiting for SSA to process a name change, which they said could take about a month, so I guess I'll need to wait for that to happen.

If I don't hear anything in the next few weeks, then I'll make an InfoPass (thanks for that suggestion!)

L

Oh i think they will try to issue you a new card but if USCIS doesn`t verify your immigration status they will send you a letter stating that. That`s what happened in my case but who knows, maybe your case is different than mine and it will work. It is all so confusing and it does get frustrating at times.

I wish you good luck and i hope you will have the new card soon!

mGDboiw.jpgmGDbm4.png

zzflag019.gif united-states-flag.gif

03/31/2010 filed I129

12/16/2010 Interwiew-Approved

02/07/2011 POE-Chicago

03/16/2011 Wedding!!!

05/23/2011 AOS,EAD,AP apps sent

07/15/2011 EAD, AP approved

10/05/2011 AOS approved

Hey! I JUST got my social security card in the mail today. There was another thread that you and I had discussed that. It was only about two weeks, but they got it all fixed and my card is now in my married name. What my local SSA office did was make a copy of my Green card, passport, old SSN etc, and they sent it all to Homeland Security to get fixed up. Not sure why they wouldn't do that for you. Maybe go back there and ask them to try that? I was given a date range of 4-6 weeks, so 2 weeks is pretty good.

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

Hey! I JUST got my social security card in the mail today. There was another thread that you and I had discussed that. It was only about two weeks, but they got it all fixed and my card is now in my married name. What my local SSA office did was make a copy of my Green card, passport, old SSN etc, and they sent it all to Homeland Security to get fixed up. Not sure why they wouldn't do that for you. Maybe go back there and ask them to try that? I was given a date range of 4-6 weeks, so 2 weeks is pretty good.

Hi there

Thanks for the reply - funnily enough, I got my card through to this weekend, so finally got it sorted. From what I could tell from the SSA office, they sent all my information off to Buffalo to update it. Like you, I'm really pleased that I only had a 2 week wait rather than the 60 days I'd been quoted!

L

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.