aussiewench

Hello Poland!

867 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline
What day are you arriving Calamitka? It's so exciting that it'll be soon now! You'll have to let us know how the move goes.

Me - I really don't know but as soon as I know the interwiew date I'll book the ticket. I came to Poland in May 2007 to defense my thesis and prepare church wedding, reception (something you my consider doing :) ) and I'm kind of stuck here. It has been 9 months already -we didn't realize about this soooooo long process. Our cats won't recognize me.

Your Michal will get cute accent from Scotland ;).

Pilot's girl - Maui vacation can be eventually accepted as Valentine gift :) .

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Niki - WOW, a vacation to Maui is an awesome Valentine's gift for sure! I'm jealous! Everytime I talk with my husband about vacation plans... we end up talking about going to Poland, and no time left for any other cool beachy type of places.

Calamitka - Where will you be living in the US?

I was reading in a different forum, the question of, when you become eligible, do you want to become a USC or just remain a LPR? So what do you think about that? Do you want to become a USC?

12140.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Nanusia when I first came here I thought I would not even apply for citizenship because I really don't like this country too much, etc. Well, after just one incident I changed my mind. My Polish passport expired. I called the Embassy I was told it costs about $150 dollars and the wait time is around 4 months. I have to go there in person (2 hour drive for me - I have to take a day off). Then it turned out I can't get a passport in my married name because my marriage certificate is not registered in Poland (embassy can do it for me - another $150 plus longer wait). So I decided to register this MC myself through family. There is no way to get through on the phone to the embassy. I called city hall in Poland and was told to go to the embassy and ask for one procedure to be done. After calling embassy like crazy for weeks to find out if I need an appointmen I finally got through with the consular officer who told me the guy in Poland who had given me this info is an idiot and the embassy won't do what he asks for. The guy in city hall in Poland is the one who would need to do all the stuff there. I expect my 70 year old father will go there and be told he doesn't have what is necessary. I decided to get my passport in my maiden name - after all what difference does it make who I go through hassle with: immigration authorities or polish authorities ? No difference to me.

I wanted to apply for a job that was for citizens only so I couldn't. Now I have one with the federal government. Who can guarantee me that the law will not change and one won't have to be a citizen to work here ?

After my passport experience I decided to apply for USC the minute I become eligible.

Ana

Timeline
Calamitka - Where will you be living in the US?

I was reading in a different forum, the question of, when you become eligible, do you want to become a USC or just remain a LPR? So what do you think about that? Do you want to become a USC?

Nanusia we have been in Memphis since 2006 but haven't decided if we want stay there longer like buy house and so on. For now this city rocks.

Thanks USCIS for not being home :(

As for citizenship - I haven't decided yet.You know I'm kind of idealistic I have to feel first for what I will pledge.

Anasstasia - it took me more than 2,5 months in Poland to change all my documents from my maiden to married name after I legalized(umiejscowilam) our US marriage. You are brave, brave girl for even starting this process by embassy.

Wykonczylabym sie gdybym musiala to zalatwiac ze Stanow.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

As far as citizenship is concerned, I think I'll be applying as soon as I'm eligible. For several reasons. Mostly because of legal issues, jobs etc... We are also considering moving to the Emirates in a year or two, and if I'm a citizen by then traveling around the world and moving between Middle East and America would be a lot easier I think. Besides, with dual citizenship you can always choose who you want to be in a given situations, especially abroad. I can choose to be either Polish or American.

But speaking of being abroad.. Does anyone have any idea how do things work when you give birth to a baby in another country? In Poland there's a law of blood, so my future kids could be Polish citizens, but in America there's the rule of land, so you have to be born in the US in order to have citizenship, or otherwise you're a naturalized citizen... I know military bases abroad are exception to this, but is there anything else? Like (I know this might sound stupid) do embassies have their own hospitals or sth and if you have a baby there it's considered American soil? I want to know because I'm debating whether I should try to have a baby while still here or maybe there... Issues.. oh well. Anyways, if someone knows, please let me know!

~*Niki & Ryan*~

K1:

Nov 13, 2004 - I-129F sent to CSC

Mar 09, 2005 - Interview at the Warsaw Embassy

total time: 114 days

AOS:

Sep 02, 2005 - AOS/EAD packet sent to Chicago

Nov 19, 2005 - AOS/EAD biometrics done

Nov 28, 2005 - EAD card in the mail

Mar 20, 2006 - interview

Mar 29, 2006 - Permanent Resident Card arrived in the mail

total time: 197 days

joint I-751:

Feb 11, 2008 - I-751 sent to NSC

Mar 12, 2008 - biometrics done

Jul 28, 2008 - I-751 approved

Aug 04, 2008 - 10-year GC arrived in the mail

total time: 158 days

detailed timeline in my profile

.png

oMDEm6.png

My husband is on the same train of thought as you ladies. He wants the USC for job purposes. I never realized how many jobs required citizenship, until he started looking and didn't qualify for them. :(

Calamitka - I'd tell you to come move to Chicago, but its sooooo cold here recently, that I think I want to move to some place warmer!

Niki - about the birth abroad. You can still have your kids be dual citizens. When a child is born abroad, the birth must be registered within 60days and he/she will still be a US citizen, regardless where they are born.

"Through birth abroad to one United States citizen

In most cases, a person is a U.S. citizen if all of the following are true:

-One of his or her parents was a U.S. citizen at the time of the person in question's birth;

-The citizen parent lived at least 5 years in the United States before his or her child's birth; and

-At least 2 of these 5 years in the United States were after the citizen parent's 14th birthday (see note below).

A person's record of birth abroad, if registered with a U.S. consulate or embassy, is proof of his or her citizenship. Such a person may also apply for a passport or a Certificate of Citizenship to have his or her citizenship recognized."

They would be naturalized citizens, if they took citizenship on after their grandparents (if you or your husband didn't meet residency requirements at time of birth/registration).

Birth Abroad

12140.gif

Timeline

Thanks so much Nanusia! That explains a lot! I didn't know about these conditions!

Btw, I mailed my I-751 yesterday... Let's home all goes smoothly!!!

Calamitka - I've been to Memphis very briefly but loved what I saw! My husband used to fly there all the time and he loved his stay there too. It's one of the cities we would consider living in.

~*Niki & Ryan*~

K1:

AOS:

Mar 20, 2006 - interview

joint I-751:

.png

oMDEm6.png

Timeline

I meant to say let's hope, not let's home ;)

~*Niki & Ryan*~

K1:

AOS:

Mar 20, 2006 - interview

joint I-751:

.png

oMDEm6.png

Timeline

Pilot's girl beside citizenship issues I would consider safety where to give a birth. I think at hospitals in States you will have better care than elsewhere.

Good luck with making decision when and where :) .

And don't forget about taking daily 0,4 mg of folic acid before ;)

Timeline
Pilot's girl beside citizenship issues I would consider safety where to give a birth. I think at hospitals in States you will have better care than elsewhere.

Good luck with making decision when and where :) .

And don't forget about taking daily 0,4 mg of folic acid before ;)

Well, I'm sure that hospitals in the States are good, but it's not like hospitals everywhere else suck... Of course, I'd rather give birth in the US rather than in, say, Mexico for example, but still. Besides, I'm not planning to have a baby anytime soon! I think I like my current lifestyle too much to change it. But thanks anyways :)

~*Niki & Ryan*~

K1:

AOS:

Mar 20, 2006 - interview

joint I-751:

.png

oMDEm6.png

I think that I will get American citizenship if it makes my life easier... I still have time before applying, so I don't need to worry about it. :)

All my polish documents (ID and driver license) are expired. I can't even think about the whole process of renewing them, changing from maiden to married name... I already know it will be a hassle. :wacko:

Talking about Valentine’s Day and Hawaii, do you guys watch Lost? That’s my favorite show on TV, I am addicted to it and I can’t wait to see next episode! :D

K-1 Timeline

09/29/04 - petition I-129F sent to Nebraska

10/01/04 - NOA1

01/06/05 - NOA2 online (98 days)

04/04/05 - ***INTERVIEW*** (186 days)

AOS Timeline

04/29/05 - I'm in the United States (POE Chicago)

06/15/05 - We got married

06/30/05 - AOS & EAD delivered to Chicago lockbox (day 1)

07/08/05 - NOA's for EAD and AOS (day 9)

08/24/05 - biometrics & fingerprints in Grand Rapids (day 56)

09/08/05 - EAD approved (day 71)

02/24/05 - ***AOS INTERVIEW*** (day 239)

Removing Conditions on Residency

11/29/07 - a joint petition I-751 sent to NSC (day 1)

12/12/07 - NOA1 from CSC (day 13)

01/04/08 - biometrics appointment in Grand Rapids (day 36)

05/19/08 - green card received

N-400

07/21/09 - mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

07/23/09 - delivered

07/28/09 - NOA's date

08/01/09 - NOA received

08/29/09 - biometrics

09/06/09 - interview letter received

11/10/09 - interview

12/09/09 - oath

Timeline
All my polish documents (ID and driver license) are expired. I can't even think about the whole process of renewing them, changing from maiden to married name... I already know it will be a hassle. :wacko:

I can only imagine... Luckily I managed to get both my ID and passport changed into my married name. I went to the city hall to get a new ID before I even got married and left for US... I gave them all the forms and said that my mom will give them supporting docs (umiejscowienie etc).. and it worked. I did the same thing with my passport, since you have to show up in person at least once, either dropping off or picking up, I signed everything and gave it to my Mom who dropped the paperwork and I picked my new passport up when I was in Poland. I looked how it's done in America through the consulate, and figured I'm not gonna bother, since the closest one to me in in LA...

Talking about Valentine’s Day and Hawaii, do you guys watch Lost? That’s my favorite show on TV, I am addicted to it and I can’t wait to see next episode! :D

I haven't seen the first season, but then I watched a recap before they started second and got hooked. But then they wouldn't show an ep each week, you had to wait like 3 weeks for the new episode and since sometimes not much happens in an episode or they forget about a storyline only to pick it up 4 months later, I kinda got discouraged. I was thinking maybe I should rent the DVDs and watch all eps at once! Because I found the show quite fascinating!

~*Niki & Ryan*~

K1:

AOS:

Mar 20, 2006 - interview

joint I-751:

.png

oMDEm6.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Me and my friends have a weekly LOST party. Two weeks ago there was a LOST cake for the premier. I actually just started watching this season, although the girl who made the cake is a VERY loyal fan. She has these LOST figurines of Sawyer and of Hurley. I think she paid like fifty for one of them. Crazy. But to each their own.

Good news! I got my NOA2 approval today! :star:

So, I've started thinking about wedding locations and such. Have any of you tried to plan a wedding in Poland while based in the states? Do you have any ideas about how much a wedding house might cost in rural southeastern Poland?

Oh, and a funny thing about the Scottish accent. I can't understand a word of it! I was with Michal's cousin's wife in Scotland and we went to Home Depot to but some bricks. She is Polish, but has beautiful American accent. Anyway, the guys who worked in the store were trying to talk to us, but I couldn't understand a thing. Fortunately, she could and answered back in a nice brogue. It is just AMAZING to me that I couldn't understand my own language, but someone with English as their second language could understand so well. I wish I weren't so embarrassingly hopeless at languages. All of you who speak both so well are amazing too!

Have any of you thought about moving to Poland for a few years after having kids? Do you worry that your kids won't learn Polish fluently here, or that when they go to visit their cousins in Poland they'll be the spoiled bratty Americans? Is it weird that I worry about this?

I-129F sent 11-15-07

I-129F received 11-19-07

NOA1 issued 11-21-07

Check Cashed 11-26-07

Me! - I actually was thinking about this idea... but kids or no kids :) My dad went to PL last yr for like 9 months (after being in the US for over 30yrs) and started to build a house. He says he cant make a living on what he'll get from his social security & pension here, plus the healtchare costs will eat him up. So he got set on building a house, about 30 min from Krakow. Boy was he in for a surprise. Poland is EXPENSIVE! Cost of living is high, wages are low, bureaucracy makes everything crazy and take forever to get anything done. So he left it half finished and came back. Now we'll see if he finishes up the house this yr.

I used to think about my earning power in PL, and that *maybe* I'd be more happy there. Raising a family or not, but with the different sense of life was/is attracting me. The way how in Poland there somehow is always time for family & friends, less tv, more "people" time. But maybe I think that way, because I never really lived there, and only see it for the short time I'm there on vacation. So I keep bouncing between thoughts of here & there.

But given how the US economy is going, how our jobs are all going to India, I do have Poland in my 10-15yr plan for sure.

You also asked about wedding planning. I looked into the costs with planning a wedding here in the US vs one in Poland. I took into consideration that I'd have to pay for extra planning stuff/costs (as not being in Poland to pick & drive around everywhere, but someone else doing it on my behalf). For a wedding of about 100 people, I'd say it comes out to about the same. Maybe in Poland even a little more, considering no included "open bar", but more bottle service. We did the civil here in Chicago, and then when I got into the planning of the church ceremony, and comparing countries, and who could attend if we did in PL, who would NOT be able to attend in US (due to stupid visa's) it became such a mess. I don't think I realized how many people will be hurt no matter which country we decide on. So we postponed it, and have no date :P

And I do worry about having bratty American kids! :lol: Its because all my younger cousins are bratty American kids! So when I see them, I say to myself "God, I hope my kids aren't like that"

p.s. Congrats on the NOA2! :dance:

12140.gif

Timeline

ME congrats on approval, from now everything will speed up.

We are actually planed church wedding and reception in Poland while been in States. Not so much to plan though. 1,5 year ealier we rent a place and a jazz-band. When I came to Poland(May 2007) in 5 days I organized the rest including rechersal for make-up, hair do, horses with"dorozka" (ask Michal ;) ), wedding dress, photographer, flowers(church, mine), 5 level cake and so on, so on. However I must admit I have a lot experience in a small and big party planning - I was doing this professionally over the year. But you will be OK as long as someone(maybe from Michal family) knowing Polish reality will be willing to help you.

Like Nanusia said, you may consider for which family traveling will be easier.

As for prices - let's say for 14 k' in USA you will have very elegant tea party for 100 people, in Poland fairly-tale kind of wedding. If you wish one of course. In our case it was my husband actually who always wanted a big wedding so I rent a castle just for him LOL.

Good luck in making decisions, the two of you and your love is the most important, the rest is conditional.

As for living in USA - we really don't know yet. My husband have job contract for next two years to fulfill so we will see later. We planning to live in Italy or Carribeean(for same reasons Nanusia mentioned) not in Poland though too cold for me:) .

And I'm afraid my children wouldn't speak fluent Polish, but I use to be Polish teacher :) so I gues it may help.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.