~PalmTreeGurl~

Egyptian Passport & Becoming a US Citizen

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well my brother in law who is from India & became a US citizen last year informed me today that Adam will need to renew his Egyptian passport before it expires this year unless he does his citizenship & gets his US passport. His greencard is good for 6 more years but his Eygptian passport expires in 6 months. So, now within the next 2 weeks Adam will be applying for Citizenship... but I still had no idea about the passport thing... and thankfully it isnt expired! Has anyone else run into doing Citizenship within the same year the passport expires?

And I assume but havent read up on it yet, that there is no dual Citizenships for here and there? Fine with us but my brother in law had to pay nearly $200 just to turn in his Indian passport once he paid for and received his US passport last year. All these extra fees all over again... cant wait to get it all done and be over with everything! I wish he would have just done it last year & been done with it then.

Also to add: dont really want to be renewing the Egyptian passport especially since he'll be asking for a complete name change when filing for Citizenship and for the US passport.

Edited by ~PalmTreeGurl~
10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ok so if he becomes a US Citizen and stays an Egyptian citizen... once he gets his US Passport does he have to renew his Egyptian passport when it expires?

And if he changes his name and its on his US passport, does that mean he must change his name in his Egyptian passport ???

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Ok so if he becomes a US Citizen and stays an Egyptian citizen... once he gets his US Passport does he have to renew his Egyptian passport when it expires?

And if he changes his name and its on his US passport, does that mean he must change his name in his Egyptian passport ???

The US does not have any laws allowing dual citizenship nor does it have any laws prohibiting dual citizenship. As far as the US government is concerned, other citizenships do not matter. A US citizen is a US citizen; regardless of multiple citizenship.

The US requires all US citizens to use a US passport to enter and leave the US. The US does not care what passport he presents to enter or leave another country.

As far as his Egyptian passport is concerned, only Egypt cares. The US government doesn't care about his Egyptian citizenship or Egyptian passport once he becomes a US citizen. The US only recognize that he is a US citizen.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.