Emmysaur

Advice for our honeymoon

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone, I would like to ask for your advice and suggestions.

Wade and I are getting married on the 7th of April. We originally wanted to have a late honeymoon due to financial issues but tonight we talked to my in-laws. They offered to send us anywhere in the US for 3 days, they would pay for the plane tickets and hotel cost. It sounds like a really good deal but we don't really have enough money to do anything when we get there. We wanted to go to Florida but it might be too expensive to do stuff.

Is it better if we just wait for my advance parole and do a late honeymoon in Mexico since they originally wanted us to go there?

And if we decided to just do the honeymoon soon after the wedding, can you give us any suggestions for nice and inexpensive places to go here in the US? We have about $700 to spend. Your advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Las Vegas comes to mind. Get a hotel off the strip and you can have a great time with $700.00 for 3 days -- with change left over.

Personally, I would not be caught dead in Mexico at this time.

Edited by Leatherneck

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone, I would like to ask for your advice and suggestions.

Wade and I are getting married on the 7th of April. We originally wanted to have a late honeymoon due to financial issues but tonight we talked to my in-laws. They offered to send us anywhere in the US for 3 days, they would pay for the plane tickets and hotel cost. It sounds like a really good deal but we don't really have enough money to do anything when we get there. We wanted to go to Florida but it might be too expensive to do stuff.

u. Ta

Is it better if we just wait for my advance parole and do a late honeymoon in Mexico since they originally wanted us to go there?

And if we decided to just do the honeymoon soon after the wedding, can you give us any suggestions for nice and inexpensive places to go here in the US? We have about $700 to spend. Your advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Florida is still doable. If your in laws will pay for hotel and airline tickets, maybe they would agree to a package deal that includeds a rental car. Very affordable if you choose wisely. You can have fun with $700 if you choose theme park tickets or combos wisely and drive to a nearby beach, etc.... Just search online using Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, setc. I stayed at a Hampton Inn close to Universal Blvd anf it was reasonable with a free hot breakfast. It is also very close to Universal Studios and Disney. A lot of nice attractions nearby also like Wet N Wild, etc. Just Google things to do in Orlando and price tickets. Hope this helps you. Take care.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I know this might sound Dorky :blush: , but have you considered your new home town? Have you done the tourist thing there? Most people never have the chance to be a tourist in their own town. You could do a quick mini honeymoon there/ here and then take your actual honeymoon in Mexico like you planned?

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Mexico main tourist areas are reasonably safe. Just stay in the tourist areas. As far as Mexico, I really don't think much of Cancun unless you

like to party. It reminds me more of South Beach, Florida then Mexico. Playa del Carmen 45 mins south of Cancun is a better option if you are

looking for a place with a bit slower pace... More like Cancun used to be 30 years ago.

Also, I see you are from Oklahoma, there is cruises out of Houston that do some of the Mexican tourist spots, Belize and possibly others.

Regards,

dc

Timeline

Las Vegas comes to mind. Get a hotel off the strip and you can have a great time with $700.00 for 3 days -- with change left over.

Personally, I would not be caught dead in Mexico at this time.

We decided to just do it locally, it's both time-and cost-efficient. I do wanna visit Vegas someday though and stop by at Jollibee for sure, it's been 7 years since I had one...

Florida is still doable. If your in laws will pay for hotel and airline tickets, maybe they would agree to a package deal that includeds a rental car. Very affordable if you choose wisely. You can have fun with $700 if you choose theme park tickets or combos wisely and drive to a nearby beach, etc.... Just search online using Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, setc. I stayed at a Hampton Inn close to Universal Blvd anf it was reasonable with a free hot breakfast. It is also very close to Universal Studios and Disney. A lot of nice attractions nearby also like Wet N Wild, etc. Just Google things to do in Orlando and price tickets. Hope this helps you. Take care.

It would be nice if they will pay for the rental car too but I think it's too much to ask because they are also paying for our wedding.

I know this might sound Dorky :blush: , but have you considered your new home town? Have you done the tourist thing there? Most people never have the chance to be a tourist in their own town. You could do a quick mini honeymoon there/ here and then take your actual honeymoon in Mexico like you planned?

We decided to do similar but not exactly in our town. We will drive to Oklahoma City and just have a nicer honeymoon later on.

Mexico main tourist areas are reasonably safe. Just stay in the tourist areas. As far as Mexico, I really don't think much of Cancun unless you

like to party. It reminds me more of South Beach, Florida then Mexico. Playa del Carmen 45 mins south of Cancun is a better option if you are

looking for a place with a bit slower pace... More like Cancun used to be 30 years ago.

Also, I see you are from Oklahoma, there is cruises out of Houston that do some of the Mexican tourist spots, Belize and possibly others.

Regards,

dc

We will just wait for my AP. I think we will stay in Cozumel, is that a safe place too?

Thanks everyone :)

Edited by Wade<3Emmy

Hi there! I'm happy to hear you guys are planning a honeymoon. I think a reasonable budget would be Florida I don't know about Mexico beaches but I went to Mexico City and I could tell how they rip off your money if you are not from there I believe it's worse in more touristic areas but of course they look gorgeous. Orlando is very nice and lots of things to do.

Personally, I don't consider Vegas a honeymoon I've been there twice. Would be a good vacation but definitely not a romantic place to spend your honeymoon.

I'm not sure if you told me if your husband is military. There's an option to travel for free! even HAWAII!!!

24/06/2010 NOA1

01/07/2010 Touch

15/11/2010 Touch

17/11/2010 RFE

06/12/2010 Touch

07/12/2010 Touch

10/12/2010 RFE (re-issue)

04/01 2011 RFE response review

13/01/2011 NOA2 YAY!!!!

27/01/2011 NVC

01/02/2011 Consulate received

03/02/2011 Packet 3 received. Im not sure why they called P3 though it's just instructions

04/02/2011 Packet 3 send

17/02/2011 Packet 4 received

22/02/2011 INTERVIEW! and the best part is my visa was approved!

12/03/2011 POE Seattle int Airport.. OMG after surviving the worse japanese earthquake ever

25/03/2011 Wedding day

AOS

Day 1 AOS filed

Day 26 NOA1 email

8/17/2011 Green Card.

Timeline

Hi there! I'm happy to hear you guys are planning a honeymoon. I think a reasonable budget would be Florida I don't know about Mexico beaches but I went to Mexico City and I could tell how they rip off your money if you are not from there I believe it's worse in more touristic areas but of course they look gorgeous. Orlando is very nice and lots of things to do.

Personally, I don't consider Vegas a honeymoon I've been there twice. Would be a good vacation but definitely not a romantic place to spend your honeymoon.

I'm not sure if you told me if your husband is military. There's an option to travel for free! even HAWAII!!!

Hi there vanesky :) We do love to go to Florida but we have a limited budget, rental car will surely cost a lot. We have pretty much decided to just do it locally and have a nicer one later on. I prefer having it in Japan next time, Okinawa has beautiful beaches. That way, we could accomplish three things in one trip: honeymoon, visit my family, and renew my Japanese visa ( not sure if I will have enough time to do this).

Regarding Mexico, it's my in laws' idea. They love Mexico's beaches and they own couple condo units there. So yeah, who doesn't want a free vacation? :content:

And nope, Wade is not in the military. I am glad he isn't!

Take care :)

Timeline

Hi there vanesky :) We do love to go to Florida but we have a limited budget, rental car will surely cost a lot. We have pretty much decided to just do it locally and have a nicer one later on. I prefer having it in Japan next time, Okinawa has beautiful beaches. That way, we could accomplish three things in one trip: honeymoon, visit my family, and renew my Japanese visa ( not sure if I will have enough time to do this).

Regarding Mexico, it's my in laws' idea. They love Mexico's beaches and they own couple condo units there. So yeah, who doesn't want a free vacation? :content:

And nope, Wade is not in the military. I am glad he isn't!

Take care :)

I spent two years on Okinawa -- the beaches are beautiful, especially the beaches on Zamami Island, Ishigaki island or Northern Okinawa. You mentioned Okinawa and I had thoughts of delicious curry, purple potato ice cream, yakitori, yakisoba, yaeyama soba and my favorite lunch time meal -- bento.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

Timeline

I spent two years on Okinawa -- the beaches are beautiful, especially the beaches on Zamami Island, Ishigaki island or Northern Okinawa. You mentioned Okinawa and I had thoughts of delicious curry, purple potato ice cream, yakitori, yakisoba, yaeyama soba and my favorite lunch time meal -- bento.

Will take note of those islands, I have never been to Okinawa but I heard good stories about it. Curry is big in Japan, most of my family and friends like it but I do find it distasteful :o And who doesn't love bento :) I know how to make soba and udon. What I miss most is chahan (Japanese fried rice).

Edited by Wade<3Emmy

Timeline

Will take note of those islands, I have never been to Okinawa but I heard good stories about it. Curry is big in Japan, most of my family and friends like it but I do find it distasteful :o And who doesn't love bento :) I know how to make soba and udon. What I miss most is chahan (Japanese fried rice).

Okinawa is beautiful, with a climate similar to that of the Philippines. You'll find both of those islands stunning with nature beauty - both are easy to get to from Naha. Naha is the largest city and the airport is located there. You can view videos of both islands on YouTube. Too bad you don't like Japanese curry. Yes, the fried (shrimp was my fav) rice, always seemed to taste best after 2:00 am and several beers.

Timeline

Okinawa is beautiful, with a climate similar to that of the Philippines. You'll find both of those islands stunning with nature beauty - both are easy to get to from Naha. Naha is the largest city and the airport is located there. You can view videos of both islands on YouTube. Too bad you don't like Japanese curry. Yes, the fried (shrimp was my fav) rice, always seemed to taste best after 2:00 am and several beers.

Thank you for the info, I will check them out!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.