confusedasheck

Taking money of the USA and US Customs

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I have going to have to take over $10,000 out of the country when I go to Vietnam next time.

The form is simple

http://www.fincen.gov/forms/files/fin105_cmir.pdf

and the directions are simple

C. Travelers—Travelers carrying currency or other monetary instruments with

them shall file FinCEN Form 105 at the time of entry into the United States or at the

time of departure from the United States with the Customs officer in charge at any

Customs port of entry or departure.

However, I don't ever remember seeing a customs officer when I have left the USA. I don't want to have the US government seize my money, fine me, or arrest me for failing to file this form.

Does anybody know where you actually submit the form? I assume it's near when you check in or go to the gate for the first flight segment that leaves the USA, but I have flown many times and I cannot remember ever seeing a customs officer anywhere from check-in to the gate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I have going to have to take over $10,000 out of the country when I go to Vietnam next time.

The form is simple

http://www.fincen.go...fin105_cmir.pdf

them shall file FinCEN Form 105 at the time of entry into the United States or at the

time of departure from the United States with the Customs officer in charge at any

However, I don't ever remember seeing a customs officer when I have left the USA. I don't want to have the US government seize my money, fine me, or arrest me for failing to file this form.

Does anybody know where you actually submit the form? I assume it's near when you check in or go to the gate for the first flight segment that leaves the USA, but I have flown many times and I cannot remember ever seeing a customs officer anywhere from check-in to the gate.

They don't check you when you go. You may get checked when you arrive VN. You can got to the international arrival area when you get to the airport that will leave US... there you can find plenty of customs people... just tell a TSA person you want to address a customs issue to be safe... I myself wouldn't say anything to anyone...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I only get checked in VN when I go through HCMC.. no customs check in Hanoi

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The form is simple

http://www.fincen.gov/forms/files/fin105_cmir.pdf

Actually they do check sometimes - In one of my US-VN flights, at US point of exit (don't remember which airport) there were 3-4 customs/security officers with cash-sniffing dogs checking around and stopping some people for questions. They asked me if I could help interpreting for a senior Vietnamese couple who didn't speak much English. They told the couple that their dog sniffed an excessive amount of cash on the couple, and asked them how much cash they were carrying; the officer then told them to take out all the money they were claiming they had, asking them to tell the truth. He actually did count every single note to make sure that it was the amount claimed. That was quite an experience for the couple! I would say just do it the official way because this does happen.

Timeline

Actually they do check sometimes - In one of my US-VN flights, at US point of exit (don't remember which airport) there were 3-4 customs/security officers with cash-sniffing dogs checking around and stopping some people for questions. They asked me if I could help interpreting for a senior Vietnamese couple who didn't speak much English. They told the couple that their dog sniffed an excessive amount of cash on the couple, and asked them how much cash they were carrying; the officer then told them to take out all the money they were claiming they had, asking them to tell the truth. He actually did count every single note to make sure that it was the amount claimed. That was quite an experience for the couple! I would say just do it the official way because this does happen.

Wow. blink.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.