Dave&Carolina

How to update passport info in home country

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I had a hard time deciding which forum would be best for this question, I'm not very familiar with this website.

Ok, my issue is: I'm Brazilian and got married in US 6 months ago (came with K1 Visa). I already received my greencard and all my US papers are complete.

Now I need and want to update my name and address on my passport. How do I do that? Who do I contact? Is it possible to do it by mail?

I tried to contact the Brazilian Consulate in Washington, DC, but got no answer in return.

Please share your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks very much.

Dave & Carol :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

1-11-11 - I-129F Mailed.

1-18-11 - Check Cashed.

1-24-11 - NOA1 Hardcopy received.

5-06-11 - NOA2 Hardcopy received!!!!!!

6-02-11 - Packet 4 received.

6-07-11 - Medical Appointment.

6-11-11 - Vaccines ok!

7-19-11 - Interview = APPROVED!

7-22-11 - Passport with visa received.

8-12-11 - Arrived in US!!! (POE = ATL international airport)

9-24-11 - We got married!

9-30-11 - AOS, EAD and AP applications sent by mail.

11-7-11 - Biometrics done.

Dec 11 - Received EAD, AP and AOS on mail!

Dec 11 - Name changed on SSN and BMV!

Hello everyone,

I had a hard time deciding which forum would be best for this question, I'm not very familiar with this website.

Ok, my issue is: I'm Brazilian and got married in US 6 months ago (came with K1 Visa). I already received my greencard and all my US papers are complete.

Now I need and want to update my name and address on my passport. How do I do that? Who do I contact? Is it possible to do it by mail?

I tried to contact the Brazilian Consulate in Washington, DC, but got no answer in return.

Please share your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks very much.

Have you tried walking in a consulate? Obviously, there might not be one where you are; sometimes some countries have a 'mobile' one that literally goes around several states/cities, but I don't know if Brazil would do that. Some countries do it by mail some do not.

Other than that, your only other choices are: a. go to a state/city where there is 'jurisdiction' of a consulate or b. next time you go to Brazil, change it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I don't live close to any jurisdiction of a consulate, so I was hoping I could just send my update info and forms by mail.

I'll be more patient and see If they still answer my email.

Thanks for the reply :)

Dave & Carol :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

1-11-11 - I-129F Mailed.

1-18-11 - Check Cashed.

1-24-11 - NOA1 Hardcopy received.

5-06-11 - NOA2 Hardcopy received!!!!!!

6-02-11 - Packet 4 received.

6-07-11 - Medical Appointment.

6-11-11 - Vaccines ok!

7-19-11 - Interview = APPROVED!

7-22-11 - Passport with visa received.

8-12-11 - Arrived in US!!! (POE = ATL international airport)

9-24-11 - We got married!

9-30-11 - AOS, EAD and AP applications sent by mail.

11-7-11 - Biometrics done.

Dec 11 - Received EAD, AP and AOS on mail!

Dec 11 - Name changed on SSN and BMV!

The DC consulate does travel. Here is their schedule - http://www.consbrasdc.org/highlight.asp?id=83. It's under "Consulados Itinerantes". Unlike the real Brazil, they work on the weekends!

My husband has to renew his passport by August, so we are going to do it in April when they come to Cleveland. There are instructions on the site for how to renew and change a name (if I remember correctly, you just have to being the document showing the change - marriage certificate). However, there is a form that you have to print out from the web before you go, so do that first. I think the fee is $80 and they the new passport to you. But again, this is all on the site under the passport section.

A bit of advice - make sure you check the website on the days leading up to the scheduled day. We drove 4 hours to Cincinnati last year to get a new Election card only to find out it was canceled for some reason.

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.