awkwardsoul

Moving personal belongings to US

10 posts in this topic

My POE is fast approaching and I'm stuck on parts of the CBP form 3299 "Declaration for free entry of unaccompanied articles". I'm having a moving company ship my stuff after I POE.

I watched

and searched VJ and customs "find an answer", but still parts of the form blow my mind. I swear K-1 stuff was easier than this form, lol. :bonk:

1. Part 2 9C. Resdency Status

I'm going through with a K-1. The video made it sound like i check off "Visiting the US" for expiring Visas... this apply to K-1 (I guess it does technically expire) or do i check off "emigrating to the US"??

2. Part 2 10 - A and C seem the same.. I'm guessing I check off "C" in the non-resident section?

3. Part 5 A - (5) fruits/plants/seeds/meats/birds. I have like 60+ teas (tea addict, lol) all commercially bought pre-packaged. I oddly recall my fiance getting dinged on entering Canada once with not checking off "plant" products for bringing me tea. This apply here or it's just considered a food product?

4. Part 5 B - 7&8 apply... I check off both? Am I going to get charged duty for stuff that isn't a year old? Of course stuff not all the things I have is over a year old. It be really hard to separate whats less than a year old!

5. D list of articles - while I've been packing I've made a spreadsheet with whats in the boxes. I don't add value from what I saw in previous posts. Do I list "Canada" for (4)?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I went to UPS they asked me to fill out these forms as well and I was similarly unsure about the questions listed here. Haven't mailed anything yet so unfortunately I can't help :S

Yeah, I was asked to fill it out and I thought it comes standard I have to if I'm personally not crossing with my stuff. There is parts the shipping company fills out though.

• 2 weeks later...

Gah! I emailed customs, but of course they didn't get back to me in time. I got one question I had incorrect (I checked 10c), but my stuff it in the USA now (but not in my hands).

My questions to them:

For the CBP Form 3299:

Part II, 9c - is a fiance visa considered emigrating or visiting?

Part II 10ac - do I check off both A(1) and C(1)?

Part IV D - I heard I don't have to fill out (3) and (4) for K-1 Visa, Just provide a detailed list of what is in my boxes. Is that true?

Their response:

1. Emigrating to the U.S.

2. You are considered a resident when emigrating into the US with the K1 visa-answer is 10 A/1.

3 You must complete the list of articles being imported into the US under Part IV-D.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Glad to be stumbling upon this thread : a woman with an antique shop in my home town travels to the states on a monthly basis to pick up articles and furniture for her shop. She offered to bring my stuff down in her empty trailer (since it's in the same area). I was wondering what was the procedure. I'll check out the form you've posted. Was it all you had to fill out in order to send your belongings?

Edited by 1.618

Glad to be stumbling upon this thread : a woman with an antique shop in my home town travels to the states on a monthly basis to pick up articles and furniture for her shop. She offered to bring my stuff down in her empty trailer (since it's in the same area). I was wondering what was the procedure. I'll check out the form you've posted. Was it all you had to fill out in order to send your belongings?

Yeah, 3299 form filled out if your stuff is coming into the US without you present. I also passed a copy of my Visa/I-94 to show that my stuff is allowed into the US.

Probably varies for each area, but the shipping company said I might have to fill out some Moth inspection form for California, but I didn't have to in the end for my area (that or they failed, I have no outdoor furniture anyways).

Filed: Timeline

Yeah, I was asked to fill it out and I thought it comes standard I have to if I'm personally not crossing with my stuff. There is parts the shipping company fills out though.

Oh, I see. You used a shipping company and not a moving company. The moving company I used took care of all the paperwork for me.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.