Matt & Zhenya

Help Please - 2 passports - 2 different names...

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello, Thank you all for all of the information provided here...it is wonderful!

My Fiance is a Russian citizen. She was previously married and took the name of her husband. When they divorced, she kept his last name (It is listed officially on her divorce decree).

Her Internal Russian passport lists her correct legal name as her former husbands last name (legal because she kept it)

Her Travel Passport still lists her maiden name. (I understand that everything for this K1 visa will use this travel passport, not the Russian Internal passport)

Should we file all papers using her legal name (former husbands name) and renew her travel passport to the correct name? Or, should we file all of the paperwork in the maiden name and leave the travel passport as it is?

Thank you for all of your assistance!

-Matt and Zhenya

Our timeline...

- Met in Moscow August 26th, 2011

- Met in Kiev November 22nd, 2011

- Met in Nizhny Novgorod February 9th, 2012

- Sent I-129F overnight UPS on 3/29/2012

- Received NOA1 on 04/04/2012 via text and email

- Spent one month together in Dominican Republic with My Children...July 2012 - It was Wonderful!!

- NOA2 10/13/12

- Interview in Moscow 11/7/12 (We went to Interview together) APPROVED in 3 Minutes!

- Received Visa 11/12/12

- We flew to America together on 11/14/12!!! ))))))))))

- Married on 12/17/12 ))))))))

event.png

The problem you might have is Police Certificate, where she would need to show her internal passport and not her international one. So they will issue a Police Certificate on her married name and not her maiden name. You may want to change the name on internal to the maiden name.

The important question to ask what name she is using currently the married name or maiden name. And adjust the passports accordingly.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Timeline

The problem you might have is Police Certificate, where she would need to show her internal passport and not her international one. So they will issue a Police Certificate on her married name and not her maiden name. You may want to change the name on internal to the maiden name.

The important question to ask what name she is using currently the married name or maiden name. And adjust the passports accordingly.

Thank you!

She is currently using her married name and it is her legal name. We will adjust the travel passport to match the internal to her married name.

Any idea how long it will take for this travel passport name change?

Our timeline...

- Spent one month together in Dominican Republic with My Children...July 2012 - It was Wonderful!!

- NOA2 10/13/12

- Interview in Moscow 11/7/12 (We went to Interview together) APPROVED in 3 Minutes!

- Received Visa 11/12/12

event.png

Thank you!

She is currently using her married name and it is her legal name. We will adjust the travel passport to match the internal to her married name.

Not sure about timeline in Russia, but probably a 4-6 weeks. Unless you bribe someone in OVIR, they may do it faster then :)

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello, Thank you all for all of the information provided here...it is wonderful!

My Fiance is a Russian citizen. She was previously married and took the name of her husband. When they divorced, she kept his last name (It is listed officially on her divorce decree).

Her Internal Russian passport lists her correct legal name as her former husbands last name (legal because she kept it)

Her Travel Passport still lists her maiden name. (I understand that everything for this K1 visa will use this travel passport, not the Russian Internal passport)

Should we file all papers using her legal name (former husbands name) and renew her travel passport to the correct name? Or, should we file all of the paperwork in the maiden name and leave the travel passport as it is?

Thank you for all of your assistance!

-Matt and Zhenya

File all papers using the name in her international passport. The internal passport has no function in this process and there is no need to present it, show it, or use it for any purpose in this process. By far, most countries have no such thing. The only thing you will need from that is her "identification number" which for Russians/Ukrainians is used like a Social Security number.

You will list any other names used on both the I-129f and the G-325a and the visa will be issued in the name as in the international passport. There is no problam with the names in any case as long as you have listed all names used and presented documents which show the reasons for the name change (marriage/divorce certificates)

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

No problem. For one, it does not matter which name the police certificate is issued in since she has listed both names on all documents and shown the reason for the name change. For another she can present BOTH passports at the time she applies for the Police Certificate and get the certificate in whichever name she prefers.

This is a non-issue.

If you WANT to change it, that is fine, it is not necessary

Thank you!

3 weeks is typical. Payment of a bribe can get it done faster. You do not need any of these documents to file the petition

Gary And Alla

Timeline

No problem. For one, it does not matter which name the police certificate is issued in since she has listed both names on all documents and shown the reason for the name change. For another she can present BOTH passports at the time she applies for the Police Certificate and get the certificate in whichever name she prefers.

This is a non-issue.

If you WANT to change it, that is fine, it is not necessary

3 weeks is typical. Payment of a bribe can get it done faster. You do not need any of these documents to file the petition

Thank you to all!

THANK YOU!!!! ))

Our timeline...

- NOA2 10/13/12

- Received Visa 11/12/12

event.png

Timeline

Thank you!

Correction...you DO need the divorce decree for the petition, other than that, the other documents are for the interview.

Gary And Alla

When I was giving information in order to obtain my police certificate in Moscow (I went through a company) they asked me for my current legal name, as well as any other names I've legally used. I believe that should you provide both, the background check would be conducted for both names.. I'm not 100% sure, of course, but I think it's that way

Our timeline:

01/11/12 - Submitted I-130s to Moscow USCIS in person

01/12/12 - Had interview with Moscow USCIS officer to establish bonafide marriage

01/12/12 - I-130s approved and passed to US Consulate

01/13/12 - IV Unit in Moscow received approved petition

01/23/12 - We received confirmation that I-130s were approved by USCIS

01/24/12 - We received package notification from post office

01/26/12 - Picked up "package" - notifications from IV Unit with case numbers

01/26/12 - Set interview date online

02/01/12 - Passed medical exams

02/02/12 - Received police record

02/09/12 - Interview... APPROVED!

02/13/12 - Visa delivered

02/23/12 - POE Chicago

Timeline

While you likely won't have an issue getting the visa issued as long as you list all names, etc., Russian bureaucracy is more of a stickler for name consistency than American bureaucracy. If your fiancee has not traveled much in the past, the old name on her international passport probably hasn't come up. However, I would still recommend getting the international passport renewed before departure, particularly if travel back to Russia and maintaining a presence there is important to you. On the other hand, if she plans on changing her name to yours when you get married, you might just wait and get everything cleared up then.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.