Paul

Advance Parole question

7 posts in this topic

Hello

No doubt this is a really stupid question but if anyone has the time to read it and reply I would be very grateful- my advance parole documents have arrived (before the EAD or anything else) and it occurs to me I have no idea how to use them. I have two separate (and identical) I-512L 'Authorization for Parole' forms- can each one only be used once? How do I get more? Does anyone know?

Sorry for all the questions- but if anyone's used one before I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks!

Paul

Filed: Timeline

Can someone answer this question since I also need to know the answer. Thank you!

12/31/05 Mailed AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

01/13/06 NOA processed

01/16/06 Recieved NOAs in the mailbox

02/16/06 AP approved

02/25/06 Recieved AP papers in the mailbox

04/07/06 Went to Hartford CIS office to obtain EAD b/c no biometrics letter came within the 90 days, recieved the card on spot after biometrics

04/07/06 Applied for SSN

04/18/06 Received SSN in the mail

04/25/06 Biometrics appointment for AOS

I just got mine too. Anyway, since you are in the process of getting your green card, you use your advanced parole whenever you travel out of the country. It will serve as your entry permit here in the US. Like for me, I am under H1B visa. The moment they started processing my greencard, I am no longer an H1B but not officially a permanent resident either. So you use the advance parole to show it to the immigration officer every time you enter the US to prove you are still legal to go back here. I guess the reason why they send two copies is that you have extra copy if ever you travel more than once out of the country before your greencard is approved? I'm not sure about that.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello

No doubt this is a really stupid question but if anyone has the time to read it and reply I would be very grateful- my advance parole documents have arrived (before the EAD or anything else) and it occurs to me I have no idea how to use them. I have two separate (and identical) I-512L 'Authorization for Parole' forms- can each one only be used once? How do I get more? Does anyone know?

Sorry for all the questions- but if anyone's used one before I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks!

Paul

Take both copies with you when you travel on the AP for the first time.

You will most likely have to show a copy of the letter to the airline in order to get on the plane to come back.

Then when you arrive at immigration they send you off to secondary for processing. Once there they will stamp both copies, keep one, give you one, and send you on your way.

I have travelled on AP through Dallas three times now and it usually adds about 5 minutes to the time it normally takes to clear immigraiton.

One other thing to keep in mind is that as no one seems to be really sure which line (resident vs visitor) to get in (another frequently discussed question) I have been taking which ever looked like it might be faster.

Filed: Country: Guyana
Timeline

My hubby and I naturally thought the visitor line seemed more appropriate, and actually I have heard that that is true, but when coming back into JFK, one official asked him "If you live in the US now, then why did you get in the visitor line?", but they didnt make him change lines or anything. In fact, he really wasnt sure HOW to answer the "Do you live in the US" question, poor guy and I wasnt with him. I think that he got it wrong, from what he told me, but they told him, that he IS living here if he is adjusting status, and set him straight, thank goodness, instead of giving him the business about it. He must have had some nice guys at JFK. :) I think he thought he couldnt or shouldnt say he is living here until he actually got the green card, so was a bit confused on how to answer.

And with his, he HAD to show it to the airline officials in his home country before he got on the plane or before he was issued his ticket even (we had airport pickup tickets) and then again at JFK. The US guys at JFK knew more about it than his home country. In the US, he had to go to another room (secondary), they took one AP and stamped it and gave them both back to him. Normally they keep one of the AP, so always travel with BOTH of them.

Its good for multiple re-entries, just remember to bring with you every time.

Timeline

May 15th Lake arrived NYC on tourist visa

6-15-05 Flew NCY to "fetch" Lake for visit here

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

9- 1-05 - SENT AOS, EAD, AP, & ETC

9-12-05 NOA1 - FOR I-130, I-145, & AP, EAD

10-5-05 RFE for Birth C. & medical

10-24-05 GOT LEARNERS PERMIT

11-3-05 DRIVERS LICENSE :)

11-16-05 overnited RFE

11-17-05 Rcvd NOA2 for EAD, bio set for 12-5-05

11-25-05 Recvd AOS bio letter, apptmt for 12-14-05

12-5-05 Biometrics (they did BOTH!)

Infopass, got temp EAD, AP no luck

12-6-05 Applied for SSN, not in system

12-10-05 AP finally arrives!

12-11-05 1 year EAD card!

12-23-05 Interview letter arrives! 3-3-06

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

3-3-06 Interview-APPROVED! Passport stamped :)

3-14-06 Green card arrives!

Filed: Timeline

thndrdancr,

Point of clarification - advance parole isn't good for any entries, not as the INA defines the term. It's good for just what it says it is - parole.

For most people the difference between entry and parole doesn't have any practical implications, but for some it does.

Yodrak

Its good for multiple re-entries, just remember to bring with you every time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.