11 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hello everyone! I just found this site today courtesy of google and I really feel at home among those who understand my plight.

My journey began in September 2002 when I got married. To cut my long and painful story short, I received a work permit a year later in September 2003 and never received any other correspondence from INS until Nov 2005 when I went to do my fingerprints for adjustment of status for permanent residency? That is what my letter said. Please keep in mind that I have unfortunately had to move twice from one state to another state during this four year period and this may be the reason for such a delay. Anways, I just checked my status online the other day and it looks like they have sent me a notice which I am yet to receive at my new address but I believe this is finally my green card interview notice.

The reason that brings me to this board is the following.

My husband, who has been a nightmare to deal with during this process coupled up with abandonment issues and emotional abuse now says he does not wish to petition for me anymore and wants a divorce! I am at a loss of words! What do I do? What will I do if the interview is re-scheduled a month from now? I have done all the filing myself because I wanted to save costs and because I am the one who has been supporting myself and my husband this entire time and now he wants to quit on me! I put up with him and his "artsy" creative pursuits and the last two years of our marriage when he started making a little money, he completely changed. I have never been physically abused but I cannot begin to tell you what emotional abuse can do to a soul. When he met me, I was at the brink of giving up on life because I could not find a sponsor to renew my status through work so I think he uses the fact that he married me as an excuse of giving me my life back. The irony of it is that when he met me, I was a vibrant young woman with a start up business that was full of promise and I had a full life with friends, a great apt, a great lifestyle and I lost it all trying to support him and his "artsy" creative pursuits. I lost everything, my business, my friends and most of all who I really was and now weigh almost twice the size I was in a 5'6 frame. I am so sad about the state of my affairs. I don't know what to do? What will happen to me? I need your help, I need advice, I need a hug, I need some group support. How did all of you make it? Is it possible to go for the interview without him but with reasonable cause and still get my green card? I don't want to go through this process again!

I am desperate! I am at the eleventh hour. Please help me! Does anyone know someone who got their green card without the one petitioning for them being present? Feel free to PM me.

I love you all!

MY TIMELINE

Got married in 200* and my USC husband became very abusive. After * years of marriage, I left him and filed for VAWA.

04/02/2008- Sent VAWA package to Vermont and also filed for my 1-485

04/11/2008 - Establishment of Prima Facie Approval 180 days

05/29/2008 - NOA 1-485 received

07/14/2008 - Recieved my EAD in the mail

07/2009- Biometrics Appointment

08/31/2009- 1-485 Interview Successful

08/31/2009- Received an email from CRIS - Card Production Ordered

09/03/2009 - Received another email from CRIS - Card Production Ordered

09/04/2009- Touched

09/10/2009 - Received an email from CRIS - Approval notice sent

09/14/2009 - 10 year permanent GC arrived in my mail box!!! Thank you God!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I wish I could help you, but the only advice I can give you is to contact an immigration attorney and tell him/her this story. I'm not going to say there IS a way, but I feel like there HAS to be a way. I am so sorry dear, and believe me I do know what emotional abuse can do to one's soul. Been there. If you need someone to talk to, please PM me...anytime. *hugs*

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

Regarding your immigration situation, I suggest that you check the website of the USCIS local office you will be using for your AOS processing. They are likely to have a list there of groups that do pro-bono or low-cost immigration law. I don't know hardly anything about adjusting status without the support of the petitioner, but I personally wouldn't tackle it without guidance from an experienced attorney.

I do know something about emotional abuse and I hope you have some support in your "real" life in coping with that. One group you may find help with is called CODA:

http://www.codependents.org/meeting-search-english.php

I wish you the best of luck. When things seem overwhelming, I cope by breaking things into smaller units (eg, yes, my house is falling down, but today I am just going to sand and paint this doorframe). Then at least at the end of the day, I feel like I have taken one step forward.

You can do it.

:yes:

Maya

PS. Just curious... where are you from originally?

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

best advice is to seek a lawyer.

hope you be able to work it out.

K1 process

Filed - late Oct 2004

Interview - montreal embassy - April 2005 : approved

aAOS process:

Filed AOS, EAD ,AP - Aug 19, 2005

Received Notice of Receipt - Aug 23, 2005

AP approval via email - Nov 1 touched, Nov 2 and Nov 3, 2005

AP in the mail- Nov 08, 2005

Infopass appt - Nov 25

-- informed that my EAD has already been approved!!; given appt for biometrics.

Biometrics for EAD - Nov 25, 2005

EAD email approval - Nov 29, 2005

EAD card in the mail - Nov 30, 2005

---- validity started Nov 01; means they've approved it as early as Nov 01 and further processing was stalled bec i have not done my biotmetrics ( well, how could i? they told me to wait for an appt letter from them! ) anyways, job search starts for me now.

Biometrics - April 2006

AOS Interview - Oct 2, 2006 - APPROVED

2 yr GC received 2 wks later.

751 process

Filed papers - mid Sept 2008.

Biometrics - Nov 2008

10 yrs GC received - Dec 23, 2008

Citizenhip process

Filed papers - March 26, 2010

Biometrics - late May 2010

Interview - July 14, 2010

Oath taking - July 19, 2010

Thank you everyone for your support!

MY TIMELINE

Got married in 200* and my USC husband became very abusive. After * years of marriage, I left him and filed for VAWA.

09/04/2009- Touched

Mem

Very sorry to hear about your situation. Check this page from USCIS.gov and read the section "What if I Am in Divorce Proceedings, But Am Not Yet Divorced?"

I know this is for removal of conditions on the greencard (which happens when you already have a *conditional* greencard) but you may be able to adjust status also on these basis. Hopefully things will turn in your favour.

Good luck,

Jahan&Chris.

Click here for our complete timeline; from K1 all the way to citizenship.

Can someone advice me on an excellent immigration attorney in NYC? I don't want to be another file number in a huge law firm. I want an attorney who will take interest in me and my case on a personal level. Thank you very much everyone!

MY TIMELINE

09/04/2009- Touched

Can someone advice me on an excellent immigration attorney in NYC? I don't want to be another file number in a huge law firm. I want an attorney who will take interest in me and my case on a personal level. Thank you very much everyone!

Mem

We used an attorney for our K-1 part of the process, tho he is in Massachusetts (spellings? :blush: ) We never met him, everything was done by email and phone. I must say he was very professional and did no mistakes at all and we were impressed with his service.

With your situation, I think you will want some one local so that you can see them in person and discuss your complicated matter face-to-face. However, if you want to get contact details for the lawyer that we had, feel free to PM us. He gave us initial advice over email for free and best yet, his fee was extremely competitive...in fact a fraction of what most attorneys charge for a K-1 process!

Regards,

Jahan.

Click here for our complete timeline; from K1 all the way to citizenship.

Filed: Timeline

mem,

AILA.org has a member attorney locator.

Or try one of these recommendations:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.visa.us...81bf73dbea10312

Yodrak

Edited by Yodrak

thanks JahanXChris and Yodrak for your input.

MY TIMELINE

09/04/2009- Touched

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.