che234

What is the best sim for roaming?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Alright guys next week is my flight and before i will leave phil i would like to ask what sim is the best for roaming?

Anyone here tried SMART Pinoy Roaming SIM ? I saw the details and it said it will just be use for receiving text messages from PH.

I tried searching to net but can't find a great deal for roaming :(

Is there roaming sim which is available for incoming calls and text with out maintaining any credits?

I also would like to avail a roaming where in i'm free to call/Text PH from US with a reasonable rate.

Any suggestion will be much appreciated thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Welcome!

Cell phones here function differently and are locked from sending and receiving signals to the towers just changing a SIM card won't. Unlocking them is possible but not cost effective for calling the Philippines.

We use Star Tec Global Star Tec and can only call cell phones with Smart Sim cards in the Philippines. We pay $42 per month and have 4,000 Minutes only to Smart Sim Cards in the Philippines, no text messages.

If someone has a way of using a Smart cell here in the USA we'd be interested, my wife has one as well.

The cheapest route for calling the USA will be to get a cell here, they're pretty cheap depending on the provider (we use VirginMobile).

Edited by Joandjo

Timeline

i used smart sim for my roaming, i just have to load 30 pesos once in a while to keep it active and no remaining credits needed, but i can only received text messages not calls

welcome to usa!!

goodluck to your journey!

Oh i might just use this deal if i have no other choice :(

Better anyone tried Mobile Link service for unlimited calling USA to PH? Sounds like a good deal but ofcourse i would like to hear good feed from the members first.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I just added unlimited international text to my plan for 5 dollars. For voice calling I been using Nobel Phone cards. I gave up on trying to use world SIM cards, roaming or dual SIM etc.. and every other product that claims to be cheaper or convenient, they are not. But please update us on your experience and what works for you. Thanks!

Timeline

I just added unlimited international text to my plan for 5 dollars. For voice calling I been using Nobel Phone cards. I gave up on trying to use world SIM cards, roaming or dual SIM etc.. and every other product that claims to be cheaper or convenient, they are not. But please update us on your experience and what works for you. Thanks!

Are you using what service? Do they offer unlimited text and call to PH? How much?

Timeline

Are you using what service? Do they offer unlimited text and call to PH? How much?

I've got service with Tmobile (grandfather plan with no contract) and yes that is unlimited text to Phils (send and receive). Unfortunately they do not yet offer unlimited calling for the Philippines.

I use T-mobil unlimited international texting to send texts. I use startec for voice calling. Calling globe is much cheaper 9.9cents/minute vs smart 16cents/min.

I use fil-amphoneclub to set up a text relay account that I prefund and then assign certain aliases to certain telephone numbers in the Philippines who can text back and forth for 1P from PI and 2P going to PI.

I let her txt me using the txt relay and I reply for free using the T-Mobil international plan so not to burn up the prepaid 'bank roll' .

It works for us.

Our time line:

-----------

11-2-09 Met for the first time

11-3-09 Went to dinner to celebrate my birthday

11-18-09 Officially became bf/gf.

11-22-09 Went back to the States

1-1-10 Talked to her father on the phone queried about my intentions. Told him I intended to marry her.

10-8-10 2nd Trip back to Philippines

10-10-10 Proposed to her ... She said YES!

10-16-10 Meet her parents and family in the province for the first time

10-25-10 Returned to States

11-2010 Started her annulment process

1-4-11 Free to marry within the country

2-8-11 3rd trip to Philippines

2-10-11 Annulment process complete (can file for US visas now)

4-27-11 Got Married

5-30-11 Finally received marriage contract from priest

6-4-11 Discovered we needed to get an electronic endorsement of our marriage contract submitted

6-22-11 Finally got updated CENOMAR to show annulment of previous marriage

7-29-11 Finally had to say good bye and leave the Philippines after 6 months

8-18-11 Submitted CR-1 pkg to visa service agency

9-9-11 After a thorough review and obtaining additional docs, finally mailed our pkg to USCIS.

9-12-11 NOA1 received

3-14-12 USCIS approved our I-130

3-17-12 NOA2 received

NVC:

3-19-12 Package acknowledged by NVC.

4-3-12 NVC enters our package into their system and generates our case#

4-4-12 AOS pmt made

Manila Embassy

4-9-12 Petition US Embassy Manila to expedite since I will be in country

5-23-12 Interview at US Embassy - approved

5-31-12 Visa in Hand

6-6-12 Len Arrives!!!!! in the US via Chicago to Houston

Timeline

Like the others above...I have unlimited texting to Philippines through tmobile, I also pay $5 per month for discounted international calling. I have a smart roaming sim in a cheap nokia so Rose can text me directly.

It felt like a bit of a hassle at first to always be using 2 phones but after many months, I am used to it.

03/21/2011: Met Online

07/03/2011: Met in Manila for the first time

01/29/2012: Met in Manila for the second time

03/09/2012: Mailed I-129F

03/12/2012: I-129F Delivered

03/15/2012: NOA1

09/28/2012: NOA2

10/15/2012-10/16/2012: Medical at St. Luke's-PASSED!

10/25/2012: Interview-APPROVED!

10/31/2012: Visa received

11/20/2012: POE: JFK

Timeline

I've got service with Tmobile (grandfather plan with no contract) and yes that is unlimited text to Phils (send and receive). Unfortunately they do not yet offer unlimited calling for the Philippines.

Is this the plan ur talking about? Tmobile plan?

I dont see the PH list there :unsure: unlimited texting sounds like a great deal but i still would like to ask if thats the plan ur talking about.

Timeline

Is this the plan ur talking about? Tmobile plan?

I dont see the PH list there :unsure: unlimited texting sounds like a great deal but i still would like to ask if thats the plan ur talking about.

Yes, Tmobile has a unlimited international texting for $5 dollars. It actually an add on feature so you need to sign up for one of their plans. I don't know if the unlimited international texting is available with their pre-paid plans. You can call and ask them.

Timeline

Yes, Tmobile has a unlimited international texting for $5 dollars. It actually an add on feature so you need to sign up for one of their plans. I don't know if the unlimited international texting is available with their pre-paid plans. You can call and ask them.

WOw it's a good deal :D yes i will ask them about the plan thanks for the response :)

Filed: Timeline

you can use sprint they offer unlimited intl incoming and outgoing text for 7.00 per month and also intl calling plan for 7.00 and the calls are 15cent per minute there are some a few cents a few cents cheaper but the free text is a good deal.

Hope that helps

Also regarding the T-MOBILE they are now offering the same deal on intl text also.

Timeline

I use Sun Cellular now, Roaming.

Couldnt' find Smart Roaming for USA any more, used to be able to find it so easy

Suggestion:

Get ur gf or bf a Smart or Android fone. DownLoad Viber, which is a free app.

You can chat, text, send pic to anywhere in d world for free using your cellfone

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.