bcmcfish

Activating before moving

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi all,

My wife and I are planning on going over the the US this weekend and wondered if it might be a good idea to get her green card activated. We will be fully moving our stuff in December, but we'll be back and forth sorting out jobs in the US and also shutting things down in Canada until then.

Is there any problem with this that I don't see? Will we both then be taxable on our continuing Canadian income (which would continue until our December final move)? Would we need to have a list of everything that will eventually be brought over later?

We want to get the green card and thus the SSN because she's planning on being a teacher, but in transferring her credentials to get a teaching certificate she needs a SSN. So we'd like to get started on the transfer process while we finish up here in Canada.

So, basically, are there any issues we need to watch out for or problems that could arise? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

B&C

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hi all,

My wife and I are planning on going over the the US this weekend and wondered if it might be a good idea to get her green card activated. We will be fully moving our stuff in December, but we'll be back and forth sorting out jobs in the US and also shutting things down in Canada until then.

Is there any problem with this that I don't see? Will we both then be taxable on our continuing Canadian income (which would continue until our December final move)? Would we need to have a list of everything that will eventually be brought over later?

We want to get the green card and thus the SSN because she's planning on being a teacher, but in transferring her credentials to get a teaching certificate she needs a SSN. So we'd like to get started on the transfer process while we finish up here in Canada.

So, basically, are there any issues we need to watch out for or problems that could arise? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

B&C

hiya B&C,

If you've got a good mailing address in the US, this is a great idea. Yoiu will get the Social Security card application underway, and the Green Card production. Those physical cards will be mailed to the US address you confirm/give at the border, so it should be secure.

There are tax implications, but short of the sale of a house, nothing that I've ever heard you'll need to be concerned with. There is no double taxation of income up to (double check today's figure) about $80k USD.

I'd suggest you check the Canada forum for any tips about the move, Customs etc. I've got a thread strated somewhere with info on Customs and making the move; search for threads I've started (there aren't many).

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I activated my visa and then two weeks later moved my stuff. From what the border guard told me is that you can one free move where they really don't check but after that you'll get searched. You must list everything in every box and number it. Good Luck and Congrats !!!!!!

Feb. 15/ 07 --- GC approved

Nov. 17/09 -- I-751 sent (Day 1)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.